Thanks for the Insurance Subsidy, Young Workers!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It sure is nice of you. Instead of paying for my own health insurance like I have been for the last five years, I'm gonna get a tax subsidy. Apparently it's based entirely on income, and net worth doesn't figure in. This article on the health insurance "marketplaces" lays out the details.
The verification systems are meant to determine who qualifies for new benefits under the Affordable Care Act. The law includes tax subsidies to purchase health insurance for Americans who earn less than 400 percent of the poverty line, about $45,000 for an individual.
Is that cool, or what? :)

I'll think fondly of y'all when I fire up my new bandsaw or router to work some of that beautiful walnut I couldn't afford before. Maybe I can even afford some zebrawood now. Of course, I may have to wrestle the wife; she sees another cruise or two in our future instead.

Thanks again!

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Is that cool, or what? :)
Guess that depends - it would help to define a coolness standard here. Are medical bankruptcies cool? I mean, I don't happen to think they are, but some people seem to really really like them.

I'll think fondly of y'all when I fire up my new bandsaw or router to work some of that beautiful walnut I couldn't afford before. Maybe I can even afford some zebrawood now. Of course, I may have to wrestle the wife; she sees another cruise or two in our future instead.

Thanks again!
Try Afromasia if you can ever find it. Nice figure, totally clear. On the bright side, you'll be covered for splinters.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Try Afromasia if you can ever find it. Nice figure, totally clear. On the bright side, you'll be covered for splinters.
[derail]
Oh, pretty wood. It looks like it would be good for outside stuff, too. Triple the price of cedar or cypress, though. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep it in mind. :)
[/derail]

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
[derail again]
It's gorgeous stuff - I made a top for a vanity sink out of it a couple years back. Not kidding about the splinters though
[/derail again]

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It looks good to me. No one really pays their own insurance. You pay into a pool and those who get really unlucky get back many times what they pay in.

All things considered I would rather subsidize those unlucky people than be one.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's really important for everyone to be able to afford healthcare, and the bottom line is that if you don't have health insurance and you're sick without being wealthy, then you're pretty much sunk.

When I was self-employed, I had to go without insurance through a medical problem and it really, really put me behind financially. Lots of debt to pay off, lots of belongings sold off to buy food during a really rough three week period when my paycheck was delayed.

When I finally got to where I could purchase health insurance, it took an act of god to get approved and then cost around $360 a month for the coverage I needed.

I was really struck by the difference it made--being employed by a company that provided my coverage and being on my own paying the whole thing on top of my self-employment taxes. I thought then that self-employed people without workplace benefits should get some kind of tax cut if they're paying for their own insurance.... so in principle, I don't necessarily object to this.

This, in particular, looks open to abusive loopholes, from the little I've read.

Regardless of anything else happening, the real solution is to reduce the cost of healthcare. Everything else, in my opinion, is too little, too late.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Knowing nothing about this wood, I thought you were trying to get Don to go sailing off to Afromasia, which sounded like an island roughly between Africa and Asia.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Errmmmmm..... you are aware that Monty Python didn't actually make documentaries, aren't you?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
No it's the one that goes fucking dumbass.

Are you joking or what? Give me a clue here.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
no clue needed. no riddle to solve. i agreed with you about single-payer and responded to george's notion that it would not sit well with hospital admins by posting a clip lampooning the commodification of health care.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah! Ok. Then I misunderstood as that not what that clip is about, is it? Unless I'm misremembering the clip. Unfortunately I have no sound on my puter so can't really tell which of the Hospital clips this is.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it's the one where they are more concerned about showing off the fancy equipment than they are treating the patient, and the medical procedure serves as little more than a set piece for kissing the administrator's ass when he shows up.

it was pretty fucking spot-on.

sorry your jibe fell flat. buy some speakers.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah no, it is the one I thought it was and that's not what it's about.

At the time this was filmed there where a lot of complaints about how the NHS had changed maternity services, making it all easier for the staff and pretty much removing the mother and child from the situation. It had more to do with women's rights then with the commodification of the NHS.

Not everywhere has the same problems as America.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
BTW, the machine goes ping.

And speakers don't help when there's no sound card in your puter.