Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
BUILDING A SUCCESSFUL FREELANCE CAREER
Lecture #3 (includes Lesson #1)

CREATING A SELLING QUERY

Today we’re going to talk about the elements of a query letter. Obviously, the goal of a query letter is to entice a total stranger (a magazine editor) into either asking to read your article, or making an assignment. So, the goal of the query is to convince the editor that the magazine’s READERS will benefit from your article. What then, are the elements that an editor is going to be looking for? Let’s go through a query that I sent that sold my article to a new market (magazine I haven’t worked with before.) I’m going to break it into parts. The letter will appear in red and explanation about it in black.

Dear Mr. Smith:

Never, NEVER send a query to “Dear Editor” or “Dear Sir/Madam.” This is an immediate sign that you haven’t researched your market. Why should the editor believe you’ve taken the time to pick up their magazine and read it—when their name is often right there in print? Look up the magazine, either on the web or at your local bookseller/grocery/discount store and look at the MASTHEAD (the half page of information near the table of contents or near the back of the magazine that lists the editors, and states the guidelines for submission.) If there are particular departments that handle the type of writing you’re offering, then send it to that editor. If there aren’t, then choose an associate editor from the list. The “managing editor” isn’t really an editor at most magazines. They’re the supervisor who keeps things moving. A query sent to him/her will merely be shunted to an associate, so skip the process (and the chance it will get lost in the interim!)

Now, into the body of the query:

Many articles have been written on the subject of the sight and scenting abilities of a deer, but little has been communicated on the sense of hearing. I would propose a how-to article, tentatively entitled, “Do You Hear What I Hear?”, the subtitle of which is anticipated to be: “What do deer really listen for, and how can knowing help your next hunt?”

This gives the following important information to the editor:

1. What the article is ABOUT—deer hearing.

2. The proposed TITLE.

3. The proposed TEASER.

This 1,500 word article intends to teach the reader how deer hear in relation to a human, the effect of wind, topography and vegetation on sound absorption and scattering, and conclude with tips for lessening or altering a hunter’s “sound signature”. The article, while specific to the superior hearing of a mule deer over a whitetail, will still be useful for other types of deer.

This section (which is still part of the same paragraph as above) tells the editor:

1. The anticipated LENGTH—1,500 words. So, a potential teaser story (which it ended up being)

2. The elements of the article that make it USEFUL to the reader, and why it’s targeted to the magazine’s readership.

I intend to contact leading audiologists to discuss the difference in the way a human hears versus a deer. A proposed sidebar includes the decibel level of different hunting activities, from walking in leaves, to moving through brush, as well as distant and close range rifle fire. Potential photos might include head shots of deer with ears perked or bolting animals scared by noise.

This section includes:

1. The fact that I will contact EXPERTS to obtain quotes—raising the teaching ability of the article. I don’t have to name them. In fact, the editor made suggestions for people to contact after the article was assigned.

2. A proposed SIDEBAR topic.

3. Potential PHOTOGRAPHS which would enhance the article.

I believe this article would be of interest to hunters of all species of deer, whether they intend to take by bow, rifle or camera. Please advise if you have any interest in this article. It is available for reading on spec if you wish. If you require an article longer or shorter than 1,500 words, please advise, so I can edit or add additional features.

Now the editor has learned:

1. That the article is written, meaning that they might be able to fill a vacant slot in the CURRENT issue, and it’s a broad article that would work well in any month.

2. That you’re flexible. You’re willing to adjust the size of the article to fit the editor’s needs.

A partial list of my outdoor writing credits include: Rocky Mountain Pheasant Hotspots, Rocky Mountain Game & Fish (“RMGF”), November, 2001, Aurora Reservoir - Winter Trout Lake of the Plains, RMGF, (both of which presently appear on their website)

By this point, I had a number of credits in the same category, which might well have helped my chances. If you have published samples of your work, you can include a link, as I did in my initial introduction. But there’s no need to include this. If you don’t have any credits, never fear! There’s a first time for everyone. It could just have easily read (from my first-ever query):

I am currently unpublished, having just entered the writing field. But I am looking forward to a long and productive writing career.

Then, add an appropriate closing, such as:

Thank you for your consideration. I’ve enclosed a self-addressed, stamped envelope for your convenience in responding. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours very truly,

Cathy Clamp

ALWAYS enclose an SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) if querying by mail. This is a mainstay of the business. It’s a courtesy and will be expected of you. An SASE has your name and address as both the sender and recipient of the envelope. It bears a stamp suitable for first class postage. The cost is minimal and sets you above the “hobbyist” writer. Now, you’ll notice that this is a fairly short letter. It will easily fit onto a single page, including letterhead with contact information and enough “white space” or blank lines, to look professional. “Letterhead” should include:

1. Your name

2. Your mailing address.

3. Your email address

4. Your phone number (daytime hours as well as evening. Editors work odd days.)

5. A website address (if you have one that shows your credits)

A short, informative query is just what an editor is looking for. Most editors have been around enough to be able to spot the “wheat” within the chaff of a letter. You don’t have to bang them on the head with information. Just give them the bare facts. Your article will speak for itself.

Once you’ve sent off, be prepared to wait for a good long time. While sometimes frustrating, remember the lecture yesterday. If a magazine is seasonal, but the editor likes your idea, what can often happen is that they’ll put your query in a file folder for the same month in the following year. I’ve been contacted up to TWENTY-ONE months after an initial query. Now, that doesn’t mean you can’t continue to market the article after an appropriate period (let’s say six weeks after you haven’t received a response,) but you’ll want to make sure you later contact that same editor to remove the query from consideration if you’re made an offer by another magazine. The editor won’t be offended. It’s part of the game. In fact, according to Mr. Carey, “I’d much rather lose the occasional article to a competitor than lose the writer. A busy writer is one I want to work with.”

TODAY’S LESSON

Now, I’d like those interested to create a query letter. Use your home town as the example and choose a local festival or children’s topic that someone in Texas or Minnesota or London might be interested in reading about. For those of you interested in food writing, pick something like a “Taste of Miami” sort of festival. Now remember—we’re only considering a QUERY at this point. You don’t have to write the article. But the query should include:

1. A proposed TITLE
2. A proposed TEASER
3. The LENGTH
4. What the article is ABOUT.
5. The ELEMENTS of the article.
6. Some element that an EXPERT could comment on.
7. A SIDEBAR of related information that would enhance the article.
8. Any PHOTOGRAPHS that you think might be interesting and tie into your topic (that the editor might well already have on hand), such as a photo of a pie-eating contest, or kids on a carousel.
9. A CLOSING

Keep the query to what would be less than a page, and convince the rest of us (the editors) that we can’t live without reading this article! If you want to play, feel free and people can drop by and see whether you’ve interested them.

More soon and GOOD LUCK!

Lecture #1 - Getting Started
Lecture #2 - How the Magazine Industry Works
Lecture #3 - Creating a Selling Query
Lecture #4 - The Business of Writing for Money, Part 1
Lecture #5 - The Business of Writing for Money, Part 2
Lecture #6 - Conclusion - Finding your Markets

Last edited: