Humor Resources

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
there aren't many places where you can find places that accept humor columns, or essays. . . .

Create a place. Offer a humor column to a local or regional publication—maybe the kind you find for free in some supermarkets, etc. You might not get paid at first, but you'll build an audience and you'll have some clips.

My first humor column was for a monthly published by a local copy shop in the mid-90s. I didn't get paid, but I got a good discount on all my copying needs. My second was—and still is—a redneck advice column—that started in 1998 in a regional publication (which eventually changed focus, so my column no longer fit). Then I sold it to a popular weekly newspaper in my area. My column runs every other week; I get a check every month.

After my column runs, the rights become mine. I've POD'd one book of my first three years' worth of columns; I'm getting ready to do a second.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Look What I found!!!!

So I'm out looking for 'Horror' resources and I find 'Humor'. C'est la vie!

Ok:
ROSALIE FELMING MEMORIAL HUMOR PRIZE
The Webhallow House
1544 Sweetwood Dr.
Colma CA 94015-20029

E-Mail: [email protected]
Web site: www.soulmakingcontest.us

Make the judge laugh in 2,500 words or less. Must be original and unpublished. Any form (poem, story, essay, etc) is acceptable. Only 1 piece allowed/entry. Indicate category on first page. Identify only with 3X5 card.

THE MONA SCHREIBER PRIZE FOR HUMOROUS FICTION & NONFICTION </SPAN>

15442 Vista Haven Place
Sherman Oaks CA 91403

Phone: (310)471-3280
Web site: www.brashcyber.com

Prize: 1st Place: $500; 2nd Place: $250; 3rd Place: $100. All winners receive a copy of What Are You Laughing At?: How to Write Funny Screenplays, Stories and More, by Brad Schreiber.

Deadline: December 1
Eligibility: Open to any writer

WERGLE FLOMP HUMOR POETRY CONTEST
351 Pleasant St.
PMB 222
Northampton MA 01060-3961

Phone: (866)946-9748
Fax: (413)280-0539
Web site: www.winningwriters.com

This annual contest seeks the best parody poem that has been sent to a vanity poetry contest as a joke. Vanity contests are characterized by low standards. Their main purpose is to entice poets to buy expensive products like anthologies, chapbooks, CDs, plaques, and silver bowls. Vanity contests will often praise remarkably bad poems in their effort to sell as much stuff to as many people as possible. The Wergle Flomp Prize will be awarded for the best bad poem. One poem of any length should be submitted, along with the name of the vanity contest that was spoofed. The poem should be in English. Inspired gibberish is also accepted. See website for guidelines, examples, and to submit your poem."

Prize: 1st Place: $1,190; 2nd Place: $169; 3rd Place: $60. Honorable Mentions get $38 each. All prize winners receive publication at WinningWriters.com. Non-US winners will be paid in US currency (or PayPal) if a check is inconvenient.

Year Established: 2002
Deadline: August 15-April 1
Eligibility: Open to any writer
Entry Fee: None

Stylo

wall gazer extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here, but I get regular newsletters from the British Sitcom Guide:

http://www.sitcom.co.uk/

This may be useful for British comedy writers who use AW.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From their page:

Closed to submissions
Authors:

Effective immediately, CGP is closed to submissions. We will likely begin reading again for novellas once we have caught up, and feel that it is unfair to authors to continue accepting works as the pile to read grows larger.

Please note! This is an extension of our closure to submissions. We have entered negotiations with authors from the slush pile, and are going to remain closed to new material until further notice.
If you have queried or submitted since January 2006, do not expect a response. We have been, and remain, closed to submissions.

Artists:

You are still welcome to query, and if we are immediately interested in your work, we will contact you. Otherwise, we will add the link to your online gallery to our list of artists in our bookmarks.

Everyone:

Thank you for your consideration, and for thinking of us. Submissions will likely reopen toward the end of 2007.

Last Updated ( Friday, 02 February 2007 )

Looks like a "put on the favorites tab" kinda thing. I have several of those !

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
A humor market

There's a site called Common Ties (commonties.com) that publish personal stories and this week they're asking for humor. The deadline is tomorrow (yeah, I found the site a wee bit late) so if you've got something you can write up fast, they do pay. They also want the stories recorded and will send you a free mic to do so (and they pay for the recording as well). I'm not affiliated with the site. I just found it and sent something in. Thought I'd share the link with the rest of you since good humor markets can be tough to find.

Sorry about the tight deadline. As I said, if I'd found it earlier, I would've let you know earlier.

-- Joanna

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
There's a site called Common Ties (commonties.com) that publish personal stories and this week they're asking for humor. The deadline is tomorrow (yeah, I found the site a wee bit late) so if you've got something you can write up fast, they do pay. They also want the stories recorded and will send you a free mic to do so (and they pay for the recording as well). I'm not affiliated with the site. I just found it and sent something in. Thought I'd share the link with the rest of you since good humor markets can be tough to find.

Sorry about the tight deadline. As I said, if I'd found it earlier, I would've let you know earlier.

-- Joanna
Just checked the site, they have "paused."

Bayou Bill :cool:

maxr

Registered
Reaction score
Humor Research: JokeTropes

Hi,

I'm developing a new site http://joketropes.com. It will work in both a web browser and on your mobile phone or iPad, etc.

The site is still in development, but hopefully you'll find it useful in spurring your creativity. Any suggestions please email me at max at htgrp dot com.

Thanks!
Max

jokedoctor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Great resources listed here. So nice to have them all together.

In my opinion, two of the best books on how to write comedy are:

"Comedy Writing Secrets" by Melvin Helitzer and Gene Perret's "Comedy Writing Workbook". Both are available on Amazon.

Happy writing!

Vultural

Registered
Reaction score
I checked out Hobo. No pay, but you get all the glory associated with being published.
Could not find Submission guidelines for Morning News.

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
Is it me or is there very little out there on the one genre that is responsible for the most smiles?

I'm sad....

Alan Aspie

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm out looking for 'Horror' resources and I find 'Humor'. C'est la vie!

Well... You know....

Politics and media have showed all of us that horror and humor are sometimes the different sides of the same logic. Or lack of logic. Or emotinalism. Or identity play. Or....

Pacific

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Loons,
I've started this thread as a place to list humor resources. They can be market listings, articles about writing humor, or anything else relevant to the topic.

Feel free to share any favorites here.

Here are a few to get us started:

www.writerswrite.com/jour...ornung.htm
www.humorwriters.org
www.publishingcentral.com...-15cb.html
www.satiricquill.net/tips.html

Market list:
www.ralan.com/humor/
15 years later, some of those sites still working