Jinxed July--500 words/day, all genres welcome!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Happy July, my friends! And to be clear, we're jinxing writer's block. Not the words. :)

You know the rules of the thread--PLEASE put off-topic posts in other threads (like the Braggatorium or the Life of Crime and Chocolate threads). This is the place to encourage each other to write and edit.

How did you do in June? What are your July goals?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
A new month already? That can't be right.

I actually wrote 21,500 words in June, but about a third of those were for a work that I've put on hold for the moment. So 14,250 for the current WIP.

Hoping for an average of 500 words/day in July --- so this month's goal is 15,500.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I came woefully short of my goal of revising 3/4 of my WIP. I hit about 10%.

This month could be difficult, because of changes in the day job (boo, hiss) that might affect my productivity. But let's say...hm. Two chapters a week would get me to about 40%. So let's say by the end of the month I'll be 40% through my revisions.

Good luck everyone!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I failed my June task of finishing the plot summary for new WIP, so that rolls over.

Not wishing to give myself an easy ride, I will try for a full read-through and light copy-edit of old WIP too.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I wrote in June, not as much as I would have liked, but that's on me for avoiding BIC. I want to write more for July.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Goal for July: finish the friggin' second draft of WIP1.

Also I've decided to shelve WIP2 for now. After two months I still don't have a coherent plot. Instead I'm going to work on WIP3, which I guess is now WIP2. That one has a plot. And it's YA.

Also: come up with some titles for all those WIPs.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goal for July: Average 500 non-stinking words a day. :box:

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
I only managed 8,500 words for June. Fell short of my goal of 10,000. My goal for July is 10,000 plus to revise and edit the novella I'm working on.

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
I think I pass my goal with ease of 5,000 words and this month I'm aiming for 10,000 words. Today I have made a good start with 1,230 words, which was in the second part of dealing with drink issue in the world, mostly London base with one family. It's not the usual type of thriller.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Did OK in June. Wish I could be further along. I'm just shy of the 50k mark and would LOVE to finish this draft (another 25-30k) by the end of July. Not sure that's happening. It depends on when my copy edits come back for the first book and what they look like. And hubby keeps planning fun summer activities that are wreaking havoc with my writing schedule. For some reason he thinks I need to leave the house and interact with people.

But even finishing early August would give me enough time to self-edit before this manuscript is due. The good news is, I thought the deadline was October 1st, but I just checked and discovered it's due November 1st. Yay for the extra month!

Oh, and 1069 new words today.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
June's goal was to edit and do research, which I did, although not as much as I would have liked. July (and probably August) will be spent the same way.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Despite pushing the heaviest attitude of years up my private writing mountain, I wrote 11K of my 15K goal (and finished revising another book), so I'm feeling more like patting myself on the back than kicking myself in the butt (and after all, the latter would take more limberness than I have at this age.)

I won't come in often to report, but I will report now and again on my goal of 35K new words in July, still putting me on track to finish a draft by August 31.

Much luck to everyone else!

:e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer: :e2cheer:

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, I got to the end of the plot summary for new WIP this evening. Off to Scotland tomorrow, so I'll give it a read-through tomorrow morning and decide if it's finished before I send it to my other half for a second opinion. I reckon if it makes sense in an airport departure lounge at five in the morning, it's probably ready...

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And hubby keeps planning fun summer activities that are wreaking havoc with my writing schedule. For some reason he thinks I need to leave the house and interact with people.

Crazy man! He's lucky you put up with him! :e2tongue:

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
June came in better than expected, what with all the insomnia attacks that just about doubled my available writing time. Goal was 15,000 and actual words turned out to be 36,800 or so -- but those are unedited words and the number will fall once editing and revision begins in earnest.

For July, goal is to at least finish a very rough first draft. It'll be a busy month with family stuff, so we'll see how that goal works out.

For today, I got in 1,350 words, thanks to having to babysit the house while guys were here replacing the carpet on our stairs and in the halls.

Cheers, everyone!

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A bit over 500 words tonight.

(I think I figured out why Scrivener was acting weird on me w/r/t word-count, and have fixed it. Will see how it behaves tomorrow.)

:pinata

Anyway: Yay me! Me rock! Go, me, go! :e2headban:e2BIC::Jump:

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I made slow progress on both WIPs in June, but not as much as I would have liked.

I am nearing the end of the current draft of the horror WIP, and my goal for July is to finish the damn thing.

This morning I amended two chapters. But one of those chapters was one I amended at my last writing session - I felt I had to go back and rewrite it.

Two steps forward, one step back. :Shrug:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know, right? But he's a sweet guy and he keeps the pantry stocked in chocolate.

1068 today.

Oh, and that puts me past the 50k mark!

For chocolate you can forgive a man almost anything.:D

Congrats on hitting the 50k mark.

Edited two chapters today. One needed a major rewrite, the other some research, which took a good chunk of time. Tomorrow will be better.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Edited yesterday and wrote a review. Don't know whether it's physical or I am psyching myself out, but I'm having trouble focusing on fiction right now. Maybe 600 words over a couple days. Wishing you all better.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Got 2,081 today, both from insomnia-induced early morning writing time and late evening time.

Happy July, everyone!

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
750 words, which finished a scene. The OCD in me likes to end on crisp boundaries where possible. :tongue

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Argh, vagough - still insomnia? Yay words, though! Silver lining. :)

wonder, here's wishing you easier writing tomorrow. And congratulations, BfloGal, on the milestone!

I'm up 273 tonight. One more pass over this chapter should do it, and then I'm on to the next one.

Excellent words, everyone! Go, team! :e2cheer: