Stand up comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungle

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any stand ups on here?

If so, how many words would count towards a 1 hour performance? I know this isn't expected to start, but just interested.

And is there any tips for memorising your routine, save for continually reading over and over...?

Thanks in advance.

FrederickS

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any stand ups on here?

If so, how many words would count towards a 1 hour performance? I know this isn't expected to start, but just interested.

And is there any tips for memorising your routine, save for continually reading over and over...?

Thanks in advance.

The average person speaks about 120 wpm. However, when doing stand up, you need to account for dramatic pauses and audience laughter (hopefully you'll get a lot!). I plan on about 90 - 100 wpm for a routine with lots of physicality and audience response.
As far as memorizing goes, practice the routine by just dry-reading it first, pausing here and there when appropriate or anticipating laughs. Oftentimes, what reads well doesn't sound funny. Or it can be beefed up when you've heard it aloud.
Then make a "Mind Map". This is where you put the main points on one sheet. Point 1 will be written in black, Point 2 in Red, Point 3 in Blue and so on.
Most routines contain repeating themes and back references to previous material, so that will help you remember to a degree.
Finally, you practice without paper. Practice, Practice, Practice! Plan gestures, facial expressions, pauses and vocal variety.

Best of luck!

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a new stand up, started hitting the open mics in April. I've never thought to count how many words I use in a set, just the time of my set.

Status
Not open for further replies.