How Historical Does Historical Fiction Have to Be?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Oof, this is an old thread, and apparently me 6 years ago was more tolerant of Phillipa Gregory than current me is.

A couple things to add. There's a major difference between what I call biographical historical fiction, about real historical figures, and historical fiction that it set in a particular time but is about fictional characters. There's an obligation in both cases to be accurate to the greatest possible degree, but in the case of biographical fiction you have an added layer of accuracy to consider. You really have to do justice to the real people.

As far as I'm concerned, when it's not about real people, there's very little reason to not be completely accurate in your historical details. If some date or time isn't convenient, make it convenient. You're the writer; get creative. Since the people and events are made up, you bend them to history, not history to them. Been there, done that.

On the other hand, if it's a real historical person, in spite of what I said above, there may be some need to choose your battles and simplify a bit. I ran into this a bit with my most recent ms. I was covering 25 years rather closely, then covered the next 40 years quickly, which meant 65 years--a lot to cover in one novel. And there is a lot of info out there about the subjects of the ms. So of course I had to choose what to write about. I wrote about, for instance, one character's fiance but not about the tryst he had with a French actress. And instead of five or six different Scottish holidays, I kept it to three. Consequently, it's not entirely accurate. But what is in there is totally accurate.

Another something to add: there is factual accuracy and there is social accuracy, for lack of a better term. In other words, you can get the streets of Georgian London precisely right, but it's going to still fall completely flat if you don't know how society worked and what people expected/understood of themselves and the people around them in the 18th century. It's really easy to assume (unconsciously even) that people in earlier times either thought like aliens or thought like 21st-century Western society. Neither is true.

So, to answer the original question . . . as historically accurate as humanly possible.

Last edited:

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Everyone once in a while I get an email about a post on this thread, like it's not quite dead yet. Surprised to see that after a 6 year gap some water cooler denizens have decided to resuscitate it.

Thanks for this Angeliz. Eons ago when I first was trying to understand HF Gothicangle made it pretty clear that he felt there needed to be a great deal of actual history in the fiction. It put me into a tailspin for two years trying to figure out what my MS at the time was. Your breakdown of 'biographical' historical fiction vs historical fiction works so much better for me and mirror's my thoughts about the genre.