Alberta Floods

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
First it was the Athabasca Basin and the flooding in Fort McMurray, resulting in I think two deaths of canoers on the rivers. That was last week. The water there is still high but flooding less.

Now it is Southern Alberta getting hit, especially in the South Saskatchewan Basin. Two more have died as floods have swept through such places as Canmore, Banff, High River (now Higher River, I guess), and Black Diamond. Cities such as Calgary and Lethbridge are just now experiencing their rivers flooding, each issuing mandatory evacuations in several neighbourhoods.

North Saskatchewan Basin is on a high waterflow advisory as the system stalls over Rocky Mountain House. North Saskatchewan Basin is where I am, given that Edmonton sits on the North Saskatchewan River.

Liveblog on CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/06/20/calgary-city-emergency-plan-ch.html

Crowd-sourced photos and accounts: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206188

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like 75 000 to 100 000 people will be forced out of their homes in Calgary tonight. Rain does not look like it will relent: another 70-90 mm of rain is expected for the foothills.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
City of Red Deer, smack dab in between Edmonton and Calgary has just issued a state of emergency.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh, Calgary Sun twitter is sending out some dangerous tweets.

1KIro1I.png

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh, Calgary Sun twitter is sending out some dangerous tweets.

1KIro1I.png
Hint: don't take safety advice from Twits who can't spell 'mandatory'.

My relatives are further north, Edmonton, like yourself, and Grande Prairie. Fingers crossed for themselves and yourself, and everyone else out there. I moved off the flood plain here, a few years ago. Now I only lose sleep over other people.
At least you're the kind of person who keeps up with the news and alerts. Take care, Xelebes.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Is it wrong that when I read threads like this, they make me feel almost happy for the people in the affected areas?

If this was happening in many parts of the world, it would be truly disastrous. But because it's in Canada, it should result in property damage only. Worst case scenario is a couple deaths,and those are freak accidents rather than inevitable tragedies. I don't mean to minimize the pain for those involved, but this is what SHOULD happen in natural disasters - there should be lots of warning, government support for evacuations, safe places to go, enough wealth to get there, insurance to cover the damage, etc.

I hope everyone in the affected area takes care of themselves and I hope they don't have to deal with too much damage. But I also hope they take a moment, eventually, to realize how much worse it could have been.

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
I got evacuated out of Inglewood in Calgary early yesterday evening and went south to stay with some family, then left there after that neighborhood got put on the list of evacuated neighborhoods too. Now I'm above the valley, so I'll be safe here.

So far, news is my neighborhood is still largely dry and our house is in one of the higher areas. Also, the Bow River is no longer rising, but it's no less nerve wracking.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Is it wrong that when I read threads like this, they make me feel almost happy for the people in the affected areas?

I hope everyone in the affected area takes care of themselves and I hope they don't have to deal with too much damage. But I also hope they take a moment, eventually, to realize how much worse it could have been.

While I think I get what you mean, I'm thinking that first line doesn't deliver the meaning that you perhaps meant it to.

75k to 100k people evacuated? If that kind of evolution happens successfully and with minimal injuries, kudos to both the residents AND the social services.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Warnings are out for the City of Medicine Hat. No SoE yet. Haven't received any words on the condition in Red Deer. Calgary is definitely waterlogged, with now several bridges washed out or facing structural damage. Several communities there flooded. About 30 people were picked from the roofs in High River.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
75k to 100k people evacuated? If that kind of evolution happens successfully and with minimal injuries, kudos to both the residents AND the social services.

We're counting on none of the dams bursting. All dams in the Bow basin are releasing water while some are definitely being overwhelmed by 2 m of water.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
RCMP are saying that there may be four dead in High River. They haven't recovered the bodies yet but have people witnessing them being washed away.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know what is going with the weather lately. Especially flooding. Central Europe has been suffering really badly the last few weeks and now Canada.

Please all the gods we don't get hit this year.

Stay safe Canuckians.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I have a friend in Armstrong, BC. She says this year has been a forty year record for snow. Now the mountain snow is melting and it is raining cats and dogs. Thinking of you. --s6

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
Flood watch has now been extended to the City of Edmonton.

Other than Theoren Fleury's twitter account (whoever he is. . . ), no. So hoping this ain't true.
Heh. Definitely hope it's not true either.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Getting word that the Columbia River is flooding in the interior BC. Folks along that river might want to watch out.

Edit: I thought I heard that there are some Montanans on this forum. I'm only hearing about rivers in the Churchill-Saskatchewan Basin and the Athabasca Basin. Any words on the status of the upper parts in the Missouri Basin?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The number of evacuated has jumped to almost 200 000, as per CBC. Large swaths of Medicine Hat have been evacuated, especially as that city is flatter than the cities upstream.