• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Journal] Triangulation / Parsec Ink

julirew

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julianarew.com
Has anyone heard back from Parsec Ink/Triangulation regarding their 2013 "Steel Cities" anthology? I am unable to get a status from them after several attempts. Thanks!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
URL: http://parsecink.stephenvramey.com/

Parsec's Triangulation is mentioned in these (old) threads:

http://ww.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113082

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72249

Anthologies seem to be published through Lulu.com

This looks very much like a one-person shop. Mr. Ramey doesn't appear to have updated his blog since late March. I hope he's okay.

He's been visible over on the Write 1, Sub 1 blog and on Facebook and appears to be continuing with various projects.

If I recall correctly, he "inherited" the editorial position at Parsec when the previous editor had to take a medical leave and things have been moving but still back-logged since then.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I don't know how much it threw a wrench into the works, but Confluence, the SF/F convention where the winning story is published in the program book, was canceled this year.

(Short story of that is the Holiday Inn where the convention was to held this July contacted the convention at the end of April to tell them they sold the building to a local university for dorms and would be closing the week before the convention was to occur. Yeah.)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, he "inherited" the editorial position at Parsec when the previous editor had to take a medical leave and things have been moving but still back-logged since then.

The previous editor was a good friend of mine. She died of multiple cancers last year. When friends (mostly Parsec people) went to help clear out her house, we discovered she was closer to a hoarder in some respects than a pack rat. Add in that she had an ancient computer system that doesn't play well with others, and it all got very tangled very quickly.

Parsec has a long history of publishing Triangulations, but it's always been sporadic at best. Especially with Ann's passing, it's been a hectic time for them.

If you're interested in submitting, it might be a good idea to contact them first and see what the status is rather than submit and wait.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I don't know how much it threw a wrench into the works, but Confluence, the SF/F convention where the winning story is published in the program book, was canceled this year.

(Short story of that is the Holiday Inn where the convention was to held this July contacted the convention at the end of April to tell them they sold the building to a local university for dorms and would be closing the week before the convention was to occur. Yeah.)

Wow.

Being local I wondered what happened to it.

Is it being moved or just put on hiatus for next year? I've never attended but curious....

WTG Holiday Inn.

:(

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow.

Being local I wondered what happened to it.

Is it being moved or just put on hiatus for next year? I've never attended but curious....

WTG Holiday Inn.

:(

The con was cancelled for this year and, from what I understand, they're working on 2014's con.

IIRC, they are honoring 2013 memberships for 2014.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
FYI, this came through on the PARSEC announce email list:

Announcing the winners of the Eighteenth Annual PARSEC Science Fiction and Fantasy Short Story Contest.

First Place: "Cities of Dust and Steel" by Tom Wortman, Anchorage, Alaska
Second Place: "The Bloomerie" by L. L. Joseph, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Third Place: "The Steel Awoke From Long Forgetting Time" by Peter Dennis, Bridge of Earn, Perthshire, Scotland

Judges for this year were Julie Czerneda, Jamie Lackey, and Kij Johnson. We received more than 120 entries. For full details and contest rules, see http://www.parsec-sff.org/contest.html

An e-book of the winning stories is in preparation. Stay tuned.

Steve Ramey, Contest Coordinator

Keyla

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I found a subscription ad in a Facebook group from Parsec Ink, a branch of Parsec, and I have read a bit about their history, trying to figure if they are serious or not, because I might have a story to submit to them.
They do not seem to be scammers, however I am a newbie to submissions. I've only tried once through a friend, who at the time was acting like an agent, but my story was rejected, rightfully so: my writing was bad then. However now I am starting to receive positive feedbacks to my published work, and I thought that submitting a short story, could be a good way to make my name known (more than it is now anyway), before publishing other works as an indie.
Can anyone tell me something more about them?

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
The latest post for the 2019 Triangulation issue currently says :
APRIL 12, 2019
Delay in story replies
We apologize, but there has been a delay in story replies. Life got in the way. They will go out by the end of April. Sorry for the delay.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Today on Twitter from @ParsecInk : Please forgive the delay in the Triangulation anthology: Dark Skies. Back on track now, after a death in the family. The last of the stories will be read & responded to in the next two weeks. It will not be ready for the Dark Skies Conference @ CMU, but released @ConfluenceSff