How do I tell other agents with my ms that I've been offered representation?

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this isn't a repeat and that I'm posting in the right place!

How do I tell agents with my ms that I've been offered a contract by another agent? Rather, how should I word my email? I'm not sure how to go about alerting them that a contract has been offered. There are about 8 agents with partials and fulls. Help!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Did you inform all these agents that you had multiple simultaneous submissions being considered?

If you did, a simple polite letter withdrawing your submission would suffice.

If you didn't, shame on you, and you have some apologizing to do.

caw

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
You simply email them that you have an offer and ask if they'd like time to consider reading your full. Then give them a week.

Multiple subs is standard. This situation happens all the time. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Dear [agent name]:

I submitted a (partial, full, whatever) at your request on [date] for [manuscript title]. I wanted to let you know that I have received an offer of representation for this manuscript and will be giving the offering agent an answer in [count] days.

SIncerely,

You.

If you want to give them a chance to read the rest of the MS, then you can (many agents will go ahead and bump you to the front of their read pile if they're interested). Also, for the sake of making things simple, you might want to "reply to" the last communication you had with the agents you're informing (the requests for materials) to make it easy on them when they need to know quickly which manuscript is yours.

Congrats! And good luck!

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! And yes--I let the other agents know that I had other partials/fulls out there.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Did you inform all these agents that you had multiple simultaneous submissions being considered?

If you did, a simple polite letter withdrawing your submission would suffice.

If you didn't, shame on you, and you have some apologizing to do.

caw

Wha? Multiple agents reading your work is the norm, and unless an agent explicitly requests it, you do not have to inform them of your other submissions.

You also don't need to withdraw your submission. You give them a heads-up of the offer so that they'll read quicker and possibly throw their hat into the mix as well.

Anyway, what Cyia said is spot-on. :)

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! And yes--I let the other agents know that I had other partials/fulls out there.

Generally, you don't have to inform agents if you have partials or fulls to other agents (unless they want that info). You only need to inform them when you have an offer. You do not have to withdraw your submission from the other agents unless you are planning to accept the offer you have, otherwise you can give other agents a chance to make an offer.

Also, most, if not all, agents will assume your query was simultaneous submission. (Multiple submissions are something different. ;) ) You don't have to inform them or apologize.

And I agree with Cyia. :)