Champions Trophy - International cricket

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody watching or listening? Spoilers for today's game:

Great fun against Australia today. Miiiiiichull! Miiiiiiichull! Miiiiiichull! Bless him! :tongue

I reckon India are favourites for this. I will miss a lot of India v Pakistan cos I've got some stupid team building day to go to. :rant:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I agree in your assessment of India as favourites. Who will be the losing finalists?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm..... I'm really not sure at the moment. England has a better chance than I thought we would last week. West Indies, maybe? Maybe not. Australia just seem to be imploding in a way I've never seen before.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
warner

Hey what did the English make of Dave Warner's latest? He got a hiding here, at least from the press - obviously not from the administration cos they didn't send him home for being a dick.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well.... we pretty much thought he was a dick. He didn't get a hiding from our media as much as a rub of the hands and a 'hmm... the Aussies are falling apart. And this is an Ashes summer. Oh good.'

Actually, the initial reaction from almost everyone was 'Joe Root is old enough to drink?' Seeing as he looks about 14! LOL!

Although if the rain keeps on today, England are going to need Australia to beat Sri Lanka tomorrow. And that doesn't feel good at all.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Well.... we pretty much thought he was a dick. He didn't get a hiding from our media as much as a rub of the hands and a 'hmm... the Aussies are falling apart. And this is an Ashes summer. Oh good.'

Pretty much so, plus a certain amount of 'this sort of stuff has happened on tour before".

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
if the rain keeps on today, England are going to need Australia to beat Sri Lanka tomorrow

Had to remove my smartypants comment (about that being some consolation for us ;) ) when I bothered to look up the results. Sounds like it was a good nail-biter. So fourth spot in the final up for grabs. Hmmm, I'd like to see the Kiwis get there, but I think they have that dilemma of needing us Aussies to win. Ah well.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It was a good nailbiter but til the last over. I can relax now and enjoy SL thumping your boys.

Miiiiiiiichull! Miiiiichull! Miiiiiiiiiiiichull!

I'm only kidding! LOL!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
... and we're out.

Onwards to the Ashes. Eeeek.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
There's a bit of a weird atmosphere building here about the Ashes. The media are beginning to get hubristic but the fans (who are mostly older and wiser and have been here before) are still very wary of showing any signs of expecting to win. So it's a strange mix of schadenfraude and 'shhhhh, don't let the Gods of Sport hear you!'

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Very impressive win today by England against SA. Still don't think they'll with the whole show though.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
AH BUGGER!

Bollocks!

Damn!

Can you tell we lost?

LOL!

Well done India. We got a lot closer than I thought we would.

What a very strange final. Hours and hours of waiting for play and then a typical 20-20.

Oh well, Ashes next!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Bad luck Miranda. You only just missed by the sound of it.
Where's Pietersen at?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
He's playing for Surrey at the moment as part of his come back from a knee injury. Scored over a century yesterday.

TBH, I'm not sure I want him back in the England side. It's all nice and settled at the moment so I don't want him stirring things up. Leave well alone, I reckon.

What's going on with your coach? Or ex-coach, as he is now!

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand you not wanting to fix something that ain't broken but it's nice to have him up your sleeve if you need him.

Speaking of broken, seems like we might be doing a bit of straw clutching. Panic stations. The sky is falling. Let's dump the blame on this guy. And now here, Lehmann, fix this up in a coupla weeks will you mate.

Oh dear.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
That seems to be running through a lot of Aussie sport at the moment. With what happened in the Olympics and then the rugby and now the cricket.

Very strange.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know much about the rugby, I follow aussie rules. But yes, as for the Olympic swimming team, very similar. Perhaps we needed a good kick up the arse for getting ahead of ourselves.
We are quite chuffed the Socceroos have made the World Cup though.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
It's strange for me, because I can only really remember Australia as the team of the 90s and 00s who were incapable of losing, and the best England could hope for in the Ashes was to not get thrashed too badly. It's almost sad to see them imploding (remember, I said almost).

This is nothing to do with anything except being a fun cricket fact: I read the other day that Arthur Conan Doyle played 10 first class matches for the MCC. He only took one wicket, but it was the wicket of W G Grace.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score