Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I have no idea what I would draw.

But what I think all of us have in common is we are doing our best to form our beliefs based on the evidence presented to us. That evidence can be scientific, spiritual, emotional, logical, experiential, learned, and revealed in any number of ways. Where we differ, I think, is the weight we give each of these types of evidence. Some people give absolute weight to scriptures, others give no weight at all. Some people find great comfort in being a member of a community of like-minded believers with common rituals, while others find no value in such things. That's what makes us so diverse (and interesting!).

What I find ironic in myself is that although nowadays I am giving more weight to being part of a community of believers than I did as a younger person, I'm more accepting of the possibility that my entire community might be wrong. We did what we thought was best, but we might end up looking at each other, embarrassed, and say "wow, did we ever get THAT wrong."

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you said genuinely weren't interested in religious questions, I assumed you meant atheists. My point was that many questions of meaning can be found in humanistic / non-religious philosophy.

I'm not sure how rarefied my world is. Meaning is where you find it and where others put it. Most of that is day to day art and life. A heartfelt greeting or an honest thank you can put meaning into lives by emphasizing human connection and the grace we can give each other.

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Ah, but many atheists, including yourself, are very interested in religious questions. I've been aware of that since childhood. Interested and Believing (or in my case, Experiencing) are not the same kettle of whatever.

And agreed that meaning is where you find it. And the positive personal touch is where lots of people find theirs.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I have no idea what I would draw.

But what I think all of us have in common is we are doing our best to form our beliefs based on the evidence presented to us. That evidence can be scientific, spiritual, emotional, logical, experiential, learned, and revealed in any number of ways. Where we differ, I think, is the weight we give each of these types of evidence. Some people give absolute weight to scriptures, others give no weight at all. Some people find great comfort in being a member of a community of like-minded believers with common rituals, while others find no value in such things. That's what makes us so diverse (and interesting!).

What I find ironic in myself is that although nowadays I am giving more weight to being part of a community of believers than I did as a younger person, I'm more accepting of the possibility that my entire community might be wrong. We did what we thought was best, but we might end up looking at each other, embarrassed, and say "wow, did we ever get THAT wrong."

My deepest respect. St. Thomas Aquinas wrote the Summa Theologica, but never finished because he had a sudden deeper experience of what spiritual reality is all about and knew what he'd written to be a mere straw. IMO, that's what makes him a genuine saint.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com

Ah, but many atheists, including yourself, are very interested in religious questions. I've been aware of that since childhood. Interested and Believing (or in my case, Experiencing) are not the same kettle of whatever.

And agreed that meaning is where you find it. And the positive personal touch is where lots of people find theirs.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I certainly am interested in religious questions, but I disagree with the equivalence between that interest and seeking meaning. There are also philosophical atheists with no interest in religious questions who yet concern themselves with meaningful life.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
It's so hard to understand what you guys are saying. I suspect it's profound, but it remains elusive, like trying to capture something out of reach and without substance.

In the physical sense, I mean. :)

If I had to draw something I would draw a line on that blank sheet from edge to edge, stretching across the page to infinitum at either side. Everything and everyone that is, was or ever will be is a point on that line, which stretches beyond anything we can imagine. Each point is part of that neverending continuum. . .

Or maybe it's a circle. We just don't know.

Regardless, we are points and therefore, part of it. Some points are as distant from us as are the stars, and some are close at hand, close enough to touch even. Each point is stitched in place, personal knowledge relative to the few points on either side. Of the rest, we can only surmise.

But we're all part of something.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I had to draw something I would draw a line on that blank sheet from edge to edge, stretching across the page to infinitum at either side. Everything and everyone that is, was or ever will be is a point on that line, which stretches beyond anything we can imagine. Each point is part of that neverending continuum. . .

A Mobius strip! Brilliant! :)

Actually, your post called to mind an allegory (metaphor? not sure of the right word) for time. Pick up a novel, any novel, and open to any page. The events on that page are happening RIGHT NOW. Open to another page two seconds later. The events on that page are happening RIGHT NOW. It's cool to think about, anyway.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A Mobius strip! Brilliant! :)

I did think mobius strip but that brought to mind 'width' and I was thinking 'infinite set of points'. How can a line made up of points twist around on itself?

See what happens when I start thinking? :)

Actually, your post called to mind an allegory (metaphor? not sure of the right word) for time. Pick up a novel, any novel, and open to any page. The events on that page are happening RIGHT NOW. Open to another page two seconds later. The events on that page are happening RIGHT NOW. It's cool to think about, anyway.

It is, Chris, if it doesn't drive you crazy first. :D

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly am interested in religious questions, but I disagree with the equivalence between that interest and seeking meaning. There are also philosophical atheists with no interest in religious questions who yet concern themselves with meaningful life.

I don't think I did make that equation. If so, the writer's at fault, but not the intent.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's so hard to understand what you guys are saying. I suspect it's profound, but it remains elusive, like trying to capture something out of reach and without substance.

In the physical sense, I mean. :)

Regardless, we are points and therefore, part of it. Some points are as distant from us as are the stars, and some are close at hand, close enough to touch even. Each point is stitched in place, personal knowledge relative to the few points on either side. Of the rest, we can only surmise.

But we're all part of something.

Very early in my spiritual quest, when I still vaguely thought of myself as Christian, I awoke one night and had a vision of the Trinity. God the Father was a spiral-armed galaxy holding up a Son who was both crucified and transfigured. But God the Spirit was a line of light extending out both directions into infinity. Similar images.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Very early in my spiritual quest, when I still vaguely thought of myself as Christian, I awoke one night and had a vision of the Trinity. God the Father was a spiral-armed galaxy holding up a Son who was both crucified and transfigured. But God the Spirit was a line of light extending out both directions into infinity. Similar images.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Thank you for telling me that, Siri Kirpal. :)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com

Wonderful posts!

I've always loved the God-as-author take on divinity.

And yes, meaning, all of us want meaning. Though I note that those who genuinely aren't interested in religious questions typically aren't that interested in meaning. But as writers, yes, that's always an issue.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

I don't think I did make that equation. If so, the writer's at fault, but not the intent.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

That's fine. I inferred it from the sentence I bolded above.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I've always preferred tomb guardians to most supernatural beings. I would probably draw the scary pair from a Shang tomb. You can see them (with restored antlers) in that mysterious annex that extends under the Freer in DC.

... for all that, we seem to have something in common.
Apologies for the insult.

jari_k

Registered
Reaction score
I believe I'd have left the page blank, too. Although I do like the idea of seeing nature (and people, who are also part of it) as sacred.

According to current scientific info, we are all relatives. We go back to the same female ancestor, making all human beings alive today members of the same family. There's something in common.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, our common humanity. Not only do we all have our miticondria (sp?) from the same one woman, but the Y chromosomes of all the men are descended from the same one guy.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Rick Waid

Registered
Reaction score
Spiritual path

Many are trying to find their spiritual path. I was a ghost hunter and was very obsessed with trying to connect with the other side. I devoted more time to the other side and many gifts have came to me. I use this gifts to help many people that are trying to find that path. I help them to believe in their own gifts and test them with pictures and names and they offer what comes to them. Then we discuss what they were seeing or hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.