Status
Not open for further replies.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Jeez. Just keep her black. It fits, it's good, and it will elevate your story. Average is boring.

Lets take that detective out of his wheelchair, because he'll appeal to more people. Shouldn't make Jack Reacher a giant - because who will we find to portray him in the movie?

Pretty white girls may sell to some people. But is that person who you want to write to?

Technically, skin color isn't important. But you can use the trappings that go with it to elevate your novel, and increase the conflict, tension, and interest. I'm betting that using the character you want will elevate your game.

I'm just an average white guy. But if I had to choose between your novel as proposed, and a version featuring a white girl, I'd pick the first version hands down.

Aubrey is 3/4 white and 1/4 black. She is practically white anyway.

I'd make her 3/4 black and 1/4 white.
icon10.gif

All I see is pretty white faces staring back at me on book covers. The books with POC leads and POC book-covers are very, very slim. Or the book cover is white-washed to hide the fact that the main character is POC.

Isn't this a good reason for changing things? Because it's not right. Not that it's your job to change the world, but still . . .

I doubt there were lots of black people trotting around Paris back then. Let's try and be realistic. Make her white.

I don't know if this is true, but if it is, isn't this the best reason for keeping her black? Conflict, uniqueness, and atmosphere drives novels. Making her fit in is the opposite of what you want. Realistic is BORING. Make her not fit in, then fight it.

Status
Not open for further replies.