Old Fart's and Pouffes Bar, Grill, and Hogewey Infirmary

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Here in Texas, the kids have a game identifying roadkill. What is that bloody fur piece? A skunk? Possum? Watch out for the buzzards! :roll:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Memorial Day, you old farts still with us. :PartySmil

Along with others who served and passed (including a long line of my family members in every branch of service back to the American Civil War), I salute US Navy veteran and fourth person to walk on the moon, Alan Bean who passed away Saturday at 86. :e2salute:

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I salute my two brothers, Jack and Doug, now gone, served in Europe WW11. Unfortunately, my great grandfathers fought for the confederacy, but history is history of course, Others way back served in the American Revolution. We remember, guys.

Last edited:

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I salute my two brothers, Jack and Doug, now gone, served in Europe WW11.

I salute Jack and Doug with you and thank them for their service.

Unfortunately, my great grandfathers fought for the confederacy, but history is history of course, Others way back served in the American Revolution. We remember, guys.

Relatives on my dad's side wore blue; my mom's side wore gray. There was never a debate about service.

Texas: Alaska be bigger, but it doesn't have Willie Nelson

History may be history, but you have geography all wrong:

1. If you melt all the ice and snow in Alaska, it's the size of Rhode Island.
2. California is clearly two states--North California and La La Land.
3. If you flatten Montana, its landmass exceeds that of Texas.
4. Therefore, as taught in all Montana schools, my home state is the largest of the US fifty.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
for the benefit of the body as a whole..

Road kill does not need recipes and is highly intuitive, often depending on on age and condition ..

... kind of like in here.

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
lost relatives, though many were distant in time and connection, in every war onthe continent includinh the little big horn and the Alamo on all sides, certainly even more than I know of. In the end we are all the same family and have thanks to offer all who died and the families left to mourn them. For that I am aware of being thankful many more than one day a year but I still take some time on Memorial to reflect and thank them.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also reflected on the senselessness of war and the horrible cost in human suffering. Do you think we humans will ever evolve to a higher plane of existence?

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I saw some futuristic program that says we'll all be downloaded to a giant computer and be immortal virtual people. Nah.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We can fix this one person at a time. I solemnly swear not to go to any more wars.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Why can't we just make love, not war? I know, you've heard it before...."

-John Lennon, at the end of Mind Games.

Last edited:

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking not so much of war but other disasters, on Tuesday evening, an alert shook my deafie text phone and blared out on Kay's hearie cell.

The actual problem was harmful algae discovered in Salem, Oregon, water.

However, a general civil defense alert went out all over Oregon. For several minutes, we didn't know if Hawaii's volcanoes erupted and a tsunami was on the way, if tornadoes were bearing down on us, or if the crazy guy in North Korea decided to nuke the west coast.

It's all good to warn children and old farts not to drink tapwater in the capital city, but did they need to panic the entire state?

Speaking of panic, the next day every store from Eugene to Portland sold every bottle of water off its shelves.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some bottled water company needed to boost sales.

Too true. Sierra Springs from the old Monk TV series probably engineered the whole panic. :greenie

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boo on getting old: except for a couple elective surgeries, I am now in the hospital for the first unplanned time after going to the ED Thursday. Apparently I have serum sickness, a reaction to Remicade infusion. That's the third drug that I've failed to tolerate for my autoimmune disease. :cry:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boo on getting old: except for a couple elective surgeries, I am now in the hospital for the first unplanned time after going to the ED Thursday. Apparently I have serum sickness, a reaction to Remicade infusion. That's the third drug that I've failed to tolerate for my autoimmune disease. :cry:

Sorry to hear this, MaeZe. Hope you're out of there and feeling better, stat! :Hug2:

Some bottled water company needed to boost sales.

Ah. So young and so cynical!

And probably so darn right.

*sigh*

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm sorry for hospital stay and hope it's short and successful.

I don't have autoimmune problems, but I can't ever have dental work without special antibodies nor get my knee replaced for over a year due to the same fear of bacterial infection rejecting my hip replacement.

Yep, boo! to the problems when old. :Hug2:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone old enough to remember serum sickness? People used to get tetanus immune globulin (antibodies against tetanus bacteria from horse blood) when they got high risk puncture wounds and had never had tetanus vaccination. Since very few people aren't vaccinated, and they use human blood not horse serum now, I've never seen a case of serum sickness in all my more than 40 years in the nursing field.

Guess what I have? Serum sickness. I reacted to a Remicade infusion, one of the newer drugs being given for auto-immune diseases.

The good news, serum sickness lasts 48 to 72 hours with treatment. I'm immensely better today, should go home tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Last edited: