Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like what?
moose_with_wine.jpg

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Petroglyphs. On rocks. We splurged. By the time my brother showed up, they just used a stick and a patch of dirt. ;)

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Something happened to that idea by the time it migrated over here. Now they smoke the rolled up leaves and get a baby in nine months.

Sheez. If only we'd written that one down. :evil

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
So...let me tell you about my on-line self-editing workshop. Things didn't go as planned, thanks to back-to-back ice storms in my area. I originally took it to help ferret out my tendency to tell rather than show. Basically the advice was: don't do that. Well, okay. I got that. It wasn't helpful. I spent quite a bit of time researching to find the explanation that I could actually wrap my tiny mind around. (And hope that it actually stuck with me.) They all basically said the same thing, but it takes the right example before my personal 'oh yeah' light blinks on.

I learned about gerunds. Dangling participles. Misplaced modifiers. You know, all the stuff that many of us promptly forgot the minute we walked out of English class? Yeah. It all came rushing back, draging along that same 'almost there' headache I remembered from high school. The words may as well have been written in a foreign language, and again, made zero sense. :tongue Obviously, diagramming sentences is not, nor will it ever be, my strength. At least now I know. How else will editors ever make a living without people like me around?

The irony was pretty thick too. One of the first lessons was about unecessary usages of the word 'that'. I'd just spent an hour going back into a rough draft to insert 'that' everywhere I'd unconsciously dropped it. I figure the problem with 'that' is going to depend on editorial preferences wherever you go. Some like it, some find it superfluous. Almond Joy/Mounds. :flag:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't speak to the Medicare issue, but SS was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. I filed on-line and it went smooth.

For whatever reason, they don't seem to have noticed a dozen years of my tax returns. You can't go in person without an appointment and to get an appointment the wait time on the phone was an hour!

I haven't gone online yet because I'm too stressed out but I do hope I can take care of everything online.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All that 'life' stuff is totally taxing. :Hug2:MaeZe!

Syn, that course sounds interesting. Sort of like a refresher?

If I recall correctly, the chihuey once said (that) American schools are planning to drop English grammar from the curriculum. Is that really going to happen? :scared:

B 'cos if that happens, English will D send in 2 incomprehensible glyphs b4 u no it.

Thnxnbai.

:D

Last edited:

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
All that 'life' stuff is totally taxing. :Hug2:MaeZe!

Syn, that course sounds interesting. Sort of like a refresher?

If I recall correctly, the chihuey once said (that) American schools are planning to drop English grammar from the curriculum. Is that really going to happen? :scared:

B 'cos if that happens, English will D send in 2 incomprehensible glyphs b4 u no it.

Thnxnbai.

:D

I hadn't heard that one, but I don't doubt it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I gave up my protein-pump inhibitor two days ago after seeing a study that found preliminary evidence it might increase the plaques in Alzheimer's. I have been noticeably losing brain function for a couple years. The heartburn is quite annoying. I'm working on alternative solutions.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't speak to the Medicare issue, but SS was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. I filed on-line and it went smooth.
Ditto! - And yeah, I'm ticked that I also paid into Medicare for 42.5 years, and they're now deducting it from my SS check - :e2bummed:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Ditto! - And yeah, I'm ticked that I also paid into Medicare for 42.5 years, and they're now deducting it from my SS check - :e2bummed:

You like that, you gonna love paying taxes on the checks you get that are the result of the POST-tax money you paid in to SS in the first place.