Old Fart's and Pouffes Bar, Grill, and Hogewey Infirmary

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, People, are you that vain and starved for (social media) attention??!! :Wha:

Sure, everyone idolizes you and sends you mushy greeting cards with money in 'em, Vernie, but the rest of us need to take photos of the food :e2fish::eggplant we're about to eat, send nudie closeups :e2paperba of body parts to impress acquaintances, and snap pictures of the Grand Canyon walls as it flashes :e2photo:past on our plunges to the bottom.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know, right? :Shrug:

And what's with all the people falling into the Grand Canyon, while trying to take a Selfie??!! - Seriously, People, are you that vain and starved for (social media) attention??!! :Wha:

Yep. The taking of selfies has become a social norm for the under 30's and a social imperative for the under 20's. It's connected to self-esteem needs. And yep, humanity is egocentric. We are actually made that way.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...01/why-are-you-always-thinking-about-yourself

Do human beings have a built-in tendency to be "self-ish"? Not selfish in the usual sense, but rather does baseline brain activity default to self-related processing — egocentrism — when we are in repose? If so, what is the brain mechanism for this, and what are the implications?
It stands to reason that brains should be selfish. From a basic evolutionary sense, the individual's first order of business under ordinary circumstances is to preserve the individual. Of course, part of this self-preservation involves attending to others, a need which typically subserves individual survival. Imagine a child so preoccupied with her parents that she sets aside her own basic developmental needs. That's an evolutionary dead end.

<---- Do you think I should trim my ear hair?

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I've got more hair on my ears than I do on my head ,but every time I try to shave it off I nick myself. I'm thinking of using a weed whacker.:roll:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Gail! How goes the garden?

It's doing pretty well, thanks. :) I filled it with plants that have now grown a lot, in just a few months. So, I need to move some of them and cut others back as it's getting a little crowded. (The mint is trying take over.) The green peppers are ripening nicely and I've already used some of the chives, oregano and rosemary. We are moving into winter here and the amount of direct sun gets less and less every day. There won't be enough sun for anything much now until spring. But yes, I'm sooo loving this teeny garden. :D And we've had three rainy days in row, which is great, too. This area (Eastern Cape) has been experiencing a severe drought and we are still under water restrictions, so the rain has made us all happy. :)

What are you all doing in your gardens this spring?

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another Peter-Pans off the edge of the Grand Canyon. This time, one of us in her seventies. :cry:

Clearly, the Grand Canyon needs to be banned. At least the deadly top part. Visitors should only be able to see it looking up while standing firmly at the bottom. :e2point:

I might move to Africa with Gail where every place is safe and visitor-friendly, though I won't mention the quality of deaf :ily: interpreters, 'cause it sets Gail off. :gaah

Last edited:

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Chase, no matter where you are, there will be the same problem: humans. Now, if we could get the animals to be in charge - never mind, we'd end up the planet of the apes. Even there, the apes were acting too much like humans. I'm not sure there is a solution to the humans. No wonder there's so much depression out there.:Soapbox:

On my soapbox again! Sorry about that.

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I want to knw how she got to her seventies with that kind of judgment ...

- - - Updated - - -

oh wait ... I got to my seventies

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you were 80 and in your undies.

I'm almost in my 80s and often forget my undies. Why do you think my room in this infirmary is padded and locked?