Ferguson finally retires.....

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
...and as a mark of respect, all Premiership games this weekend will be 7 minutes longer.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Won't be overtaken for a long while, I reckon. Especially not these days.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
...and as a mark of respect, all Premiership games this weekend will be 7 minutes longer.

Serious question: Are you being serious, or sarcastic? For us benighted colonials, it's hard to tell with this topic.

What I do know is that he's manager of the best squad going these days, so he's exiting on top, whether you like him or not. And I got no dog in the hunt.

caw

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Serious question: Are you being serious, or sarcastic? For us benighted colonials, it's hard to tell with this topic.

What I do know is that he's manager of the best squad going these days, so he's exiting on top, whether you like him or not. And I got no dog in the hunt.

caw

There is a long-running in-joke that Man U games get more injury time added than other games, partly due to several notable United victories through goals in added time. Fans characterise this as the team never giving up and getting the most they can from every second (while other teams take their foot off the pedal towards the end); everyone else jokes that Fergie has a magic watch.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I can't imagine who is going to take over for him, especially if he remains with the club, as is being reported. Tough act to follow, especially with the former guy sitting in judgement on a daily basis.

Perhaps Beckham...

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine who is going to take over for him, especially if he remains with the club, as is being reported. Tough act to follow, especially with the former guy sitting in judgement on a daily basis.

It's probably going to be David Moyes. Highly likely to be this generation's Wilf McGuinness.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score

caw

As Onesecond explained, it was a joke. And every football supporter would have got what I meant.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Going to be so strange without Fergie at Utd - especially since he was manager even before I was born.

I think Moyes is a good choice - he's got a good eye for upcoming players and bringing through youngsters.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Actually.... I want to be the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after Fergie.

Which would make me Fergie.

Sorted.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
According to wikipedia, David Moyes has been signed up to take over starting in July. I suppose he's the logical choice, as the only British manager with an even-vaguely comparable record in the premiership. I bet he's bricking himself, though. I would be.

Like when REM split, I can't remember a time when Fergie wasn't manager of Man U.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's been rumoured for years that Moyes would be the next manager, though. At least I've been hearing it for a long while.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Actually.... I want to be the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after the manager after Fergie.

Which would make me Fergie.

Sorted.

I want you to be the new Tommy Docherty. Football needs a new Tommy Docherty.

Like when REM split, I can't remember a time when Fergie was manager of Man U.

I can. I once stood in the Man U end at West Ham and had to listen to their fans whining for 90 minutes about how their team wasn't good enough. They won 4-1.

EDIT: That might actually have been in the early years of Ferguson's reign. He wasn't exactly popular with their fans at that point.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
According to yesterday's popbitch "Fergie time was real: the BBC found that on average, at home, Man Utd got an extra 79 seconds extra time when they were losing than when they were winning."

The same might be true for a lot of home teams, mind.....

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
According to yesterday's popbitch "Fergie time was real: the BBC found that on average, at home, Man Utd got an extra 79 seconds extra time when they were losing than when they were winning."

The same might be true for a lot of home teams, mind.....

Didn't they once go three season where they only conceded one penalty at home? Or something like that, anyway. And then to everyone's amazement we got awarded one, and missed it.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't they once go three season where they only conceded one penalty at home? Or something like that, anyway. And then to everyone's amazement we got awarded one, and missed it.

It's completely possible, although I don't know why - Old Trafford is probably the least intimidating atmosphere I have ever experienced for a top-flight team. All too busy eating prawn sandwiches, to quote Roy Keane.