Any Virginians here?// Holiday get-together?? (cf. post 129)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Any Virginians here?// Monthly lunches (cf post 141!)

Just wondering how many AW folks are from Virginia? I'm in the northern Virginia area (Fairfax County). Anyone else from around the state?

We're going to try monthly get-togethers. Please go to post #141! :)

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
What up! I'm in VA Beach. Not against road trips though.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

Also in Fairfax County. Howdy, neighbors.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"When you call me that, smile."

-- The Virginian, Owen Wister

Sorry, minor digression. But I did live there for a while, In Newport News, while serving in the Army at Ft. Eustis. I had a friend there who turned me on to famed and iconoclastic Virginian satirical fantasy writer James Branch Cabell. Have also read some of Ellen Glasgow's excellent historicals, set in Virginia.

But I have now lived in Alaska for 22 years, so that is home. It snowed today, but just a little.

caw

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Hi, everyone!

Articshark and mrsmig, hello, neighbors!

Hi, Rhoda Nightingale! We drive through your area a few times every year on our way to the Outer Banks!

Blacbird, I just started reading The Virginian on my Kindle earlier this year. Love the quote! Have to confess I am not familiar with Cabell but will check him out. (Just looked him up on Wikipedia.) Wow, snow! I lived in Illinois for a few years (the cold and snow was quite a shock for someone who grew up in San Diego and Memphis!) and have great respect for those who live in much more frigid climates than I do now. :)

Just wanted to reach out to see who else might be around from Virginia. Wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in getting together every now and then to chat and compare notes.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: I'm in the suburbs just outside Richmond...

an hour and a half from DC and an hour and a half from Virginia Beach. ;)

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
I'm in Culpeper, a little bit of a drive from Fairfax, but not too bad.

:hi: I'm in the suburbs just outside Richmond...

an hour and a half from DC and an hour and a half from Virginia Beach. ;)

Hi Connie & Lavern --

Thanks for finding us! What are you working on at the moment?

Cheers, Donna

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Blackbird, I just moved to Virginia from Alaska. lol Talk about mirrored moves. ;)

It's nice to know there are a few neighbors on the site.

Umm, I hang out mostly in the Erotica/Romance and blogging areas. But I do get around the forum. Just not as much.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And my husband and I honeymooned in Alaska. It's a flukey old world, sometimes...

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
I just moved to Hampton Roads last fall. Nice to see there are a few writers around! I ran into one or two at Ravencon this spring but I don't think they were AWers.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Not from here originally, but currently living on the MD side of the DC Beltway. Hello from across the Potomac!

You're close enough to several of us in the WDC area to count as a neighbor! Plus, I do a bit of genealogy in my copious (ha ha) spare time, and Blankenship is one of the names in my family tree. :) So you are more than welcome!

Heh, heh, heh... read the title wrong.

Welcome Virginian! XD

Too funny! We can make you an honorary Virginian, if you like.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
I just moved to Hampton Roads last fall. Nice to see there are a few writers around! I ran into one or two at Ravencon this spring but I don't think they were AWers.

At the risk of sounding dumb, what's Ravencon?

And welcome!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding dumb, what's Ravencon?

SF/Fantasy Convention in Richmond. I didn't know about it, either. Might have to check out next year's event.

Any of you go to George Mason University's Fall for the Book festival? I went to several of their sessions last year and really enjoyed them. It's a week-long, multi-venue literary event and it's largely free. I attended a couple of panel discussions and scored front row center seats to an appearance/reading by Neil Gaiman.

Maybe we can do a Metro DC/AW meetup for this year's festival...?

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Manassas Va, here...

Hello neighbor...

Hello, and welcome! You're just down the road from a couple of us (me, included).

SF/Fantasy Convention in Richmond. I didn't know about it, either. Might have to check out next year's event.

Any of you go to George Mason University's Fall for the Book festival? I went to several of their sessions last year and really enjoyed them. It's a week-long, multi-venue literary event and it's largely free. I attended a couple of panel discussions and scored front row center seats to an appearance/reading by Neil Gaiman.

Maybe we can do a Metro DC/AW meetup for this year's festival...?

Haven't been to the GMU festival, but just looked at their website and saw that David Baldacci is one of the featured speakers (I'm in the M/T/S category, so that would be interesting). And a meet-up sounds like a terrific idea -- I'm in!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Waves*

I'm not a Virginian--much to my husband's chagrin--but I live near Potomac, MD, about 15 minutes from the MD/VA border!

It's nice to see all of these local-ish writers on AW!

Hi, C.T.

I'm interested to know if any of the northern Virginia/Metro DC folk belong to the Writers Center, headquartered in Bethesda. I've gone to one or two of their events and have taken one class, but only recently bought a membership.

C.T. Richmond

Sloths are awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolinetrichmond.com
I haven't attended any events or classes at the Writers Center yet, but would like to someday! I only live about 15 minutes from its location so I really should take advantage of it.

What did you think of the class you took there?

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't attended any events or classes at the Writers Center yet, but would like to someday! I only live about 15 minutes from its location so I really should take advantage of it.

What did you think of the class you took there?

Well, to be honest, I was really disappointed in it. It was called "Self-Publishing: The Pros and Cons" (or something like that) and I felt the instructor really wasn't well versed in the subject. I felt I'd already learned more than she knew just by reading the AW threads on the subject. I emailed the Center's management and they very kindly (and promptly) refunded the class fee, with apologies.

I'd like to try taking another class - they offer some courses that sound interesting - but I haven't had a confluence of spare cash and spare time yet. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.