Invent a Genre - a game!

JoBird

Banned
Reaction score
(see post #2)

Viking-Noir Mystery

"The villagers had never seen a man wearing a fedora with horns before, but they had a case to solve.

My name's Thor, Thor Bjorngrimmersvenson, but you can call me Thor.

The dead guy was half-way through a barrel of pickled fish when he knocked off. I gave it a sniff, to see if it had gone rotten. It smelled like a whale's lower intestine in krill season, so I knew the fish hadn't gone off. Not that it ever actually goes off. It always smells the same."

Of all the fields, in all the battles, in all of Asgard, she had to come riding into mine.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Literary friction. Required reading that really rubs you the wrong way.

JoBird

Banned
Reaction score
Geriatric Adult

The perfect bathroom books for the crowd always going to the bathroom.

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
Fairy Tale Mystery

Snow White's body is found by one of the three little pigs. She's been strangled with a noose made of human hair which is traced to Rapunzel. But anyone could have cut off some of that hair--it's hanging from her tower every day. And Rapunzel never leaves the tower--or does she?

Detectives Hansel and Gretel discover Prince Charming has been two-timing Rapunzel with both Snow White and Cinderella--did one of her rivals kill Snow? Or did her wicked stepmother finally succeed in offing her?

It could work, I tell you.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Post-Apocalyptic Cozy Mystery

Bascially the same as a regular cozy mystery, except that the tea is radioactive.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Science Faction - a group of scientists armed with state of the art bunsen burners and pocket periodic tables head out to tackle the latest race of aliens trying to take over the world.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Autoeroticbiography

Narcissistic Romanticism -- will the MC return his/her love for him/herself, or will their love be unrequited, will they never be quite good enough for the object of their affections?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Retro-Gangsta

Historical novels that transplant modern gang culture, hip-hip, holding guns sideways, etc. into 19th century or earlier settings.

CosmicLibrary

Registered
Reaction score
Erotica Robotica

This Is my favourite so far! Hahaha!

What about Suburban Fantasy, set in the endless miles of middle class strip malls?

or how about super specific genres like on Netflix? Gritty futuristic thrillers with strong female leads, foreign political satires

or maybe Prophetic Surrealism?

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Speculative Suspense.

After wracking my brain for ages, I've finally decided that this is the best way to tag Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone. I was never able to figure out what genre that show is, and I think I finally have a label that's satisfying, at least to me. That show has always beens so dang unclassifiable.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Zombie Seuss

"Green Eggs and Brains"
"The Cat in the Hat Came Back After we Buried Him in the Pet Semmetary"
"Horton Hears a Scratching Noise from Six-Feet Under and Decides to Investigate"
"One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Radioactive Zombie Fish"

JoBird

Banned
Reaction score
Chairs.

That's right. An entire genre about chairs. Desk chairs, arm chairs, lazy boys, you name it. We're hoping it becomes so big it turns into a genre about couches.

Okay. It's possible I'm running out of ideas.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
JoBird's Dog

An entire genre dedicated to speculation as to exactly what that dog is thinking in that picture.

"I wonder if he'll wear the pink silk, or the red lace tonight... Hmm, I hope he wears the pink silk, he looks best in pink."

Last edited:

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Culinary Suspense.

The plot revolves around detectives trying to figure out what the ingredients really were in that stew.............

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Geriatric Erotica - only problem is no one has the stomach to write it, let alone read it!

True. That would take a whole lotta guts. You know, "no guts, no story."

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Zombie Dada Poetry

"raised her pistol fallen figure advancing zombies an arrow loudly as another figure Chloe staggered pushed forward Chloe who causing the to jump her backward by shots rang out and swung it open and spin toward two more third stepped over shouldered into Two the door before the living dead A toward as arrows dropping three on the street to the floor as slammed flew past her into its skull in the chest burying themselves of the pale arms outstretched"