At the kind invitation of the Medievalist and MacAllister, I'm excited to announce that the next online “Revising Fiction” workshop will begin on Sept. 12, 2013.

This is an intensive, 14-week online workshop, in which writers who’ve completed a draft of a novel or a body of short stories will work with me and each other to bring their work to the next level. For these high-level workshops, I keep the group very small,no more than 6-8, so everyone gets a lot of individual attention. The workshop is designed is to help writers raise both their book and their craft to the next level, whatever that level may be; and to give writers tools they'll be able to use in all future writing. Published writers who want to hone their skills as well as first-time novelists are welcome.

I’d like to believe that everyone here understands the importance of editing. As William Zinsser put it: “Rewriting is where the game is won or lost; rewriting is the essence of writing.” Of course, it’s easier said than done. Writers are often too close to the work to see it objectively, or they try to do too much at a time. This workshop addresses both these problems by breaking down the process into a series of separate edits, each focusing on a particular facet of the work. This sequential approach to editing is something I developed in the course of writing my own nine novels.

There will be seven sessions lasting 2 weeks each, plus an orientation session.Each session includes a lecture, checklists, specific assignments, and peer-critiquing. I also critique each assignment.

Some participants manage to edit their entire ms. during the course of the workshop, but most will need time afterward to complete the job.

Participants will not be sharing their entire mss, but rather posting specific bits and pieces according to each session’s assignment. There's a money-back guarantee, too; anyone who starts the course but decides within two weeks that he's made a terrible mistake can withdraw and receive a full refund, less registration fee.

Requirements: You must have a finished draft (first or 20th, doesn’t matter as long as it’s complete) and an open mind. You must be willing and able to spend a good deal of time over the course of 14 weeks, participating in discussions, editing your own work and critiquing excerpts posted by other participants. Previous participants have told me they put in anywhere from 14 to 20 hours a week all told.

Here is more info about the workshop , including tuition, and some testimonials from writers who've taken it. I'm honored to be on AW's short list of writing workshops. First notice of these courses go out to people on my emailing list, and at least four spots are already spoken for, so if you are interested or would like to be on my emailing list for future courses, please email me ASAP at next dot level dot workshop at gmail.com. If you're asking to be on my list, don't worry; I do no more than 2 workshops a year, and you won't be spammed. If you're applying, please let me know where you stand with your WIP and attach the first 5 pages.

Thanks!