Appearances at topical events?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
For nonfiction writers, and any fiction writers this might apply to, I'm curious about your experiences in making appearances / doing signings / readings / etc. at events related to the topic of your book. For example, if your book is a biography of a famous Methodist minister, have you snagged a table at the national Methodist ministers' annual meeting? If it's about conservative politics, did you do a reading at your state's Republican convention? And how'd they go?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of writers, mostly non-fiction, speak at conferences and events related to the subject of their books. The organisers will usually have a bookshop set up to sell the books of the various speakers, but if that's not going to happen the speakers do sometimes sell their books after their talk.

What doesn't work so well is someone setting up a table at such an event to sell their books "cold"--that is, without them having given a talk, or having participated in the event in some way. That's far less likely to work well, as the attendees have no connection with the book and little motivation to buy it--especially if the people they've come to listen to are also selling their books there.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Been there, done that. After 18 books and released stories I've learned what promo works and what doesn't. Signings are at the bottom of the list of 2 dozen promo avenues I've experiemented with in terms of sales. Discussed with many author buds and budettes and 80% had same experience. Sales run from 1 to 12 books which doesn't justify time and expense. Even did a B&N signing where 94 people showed up and sold 12 copies. Organizer said it was their best yet, problem is at 3 hours away, didn't even cover my cost.

However, I still do them when I have time and they're in my local area cause I really enjoy the interaction with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.