QUILTBAG general thread?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shredded currency?

US currency that is too old and degraded to remain in circulation is either shredded for recycling as souvenirs or other purposes (one company uses it to make countertops, though I haven't seen this in widespread use) or simply burned. We'll be handing out small plastic packets with labels attached advertising our group.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
US currency that is too old and degraded to remain in circulation is either shredded for recycling as souvenirs or other purposes (one company uses it to make countertops, though I haven't seen this in widespread use) or simply burned. We'll be handing out small plastic packets with labels attached advertising our group.

Huh. Still trying to wrap my head around this one.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to duck out of the parade before we'd even left our set-up area. On two separate occasions on Saturday, police shot people under dubious circumstances and a local group hijacked the parade Just To Prove A Point. The parade was a huge deal for our group because it was the first time we were in it, and we'd even had the bank's president with us.

The parade was supposed to start at 11:00. By 12:00, we'd moved about half a block from our original starting point. By 12:30, I was having various physical and mental meltdowns that reminded me why I avoid such situations. By 12:50, the bank president and his wife had left. By 12:52, I had, as well. I returned the flag I was carrying to the group's chair, who'd also had a hand in organizing our participating in the parade, and told him I was physically unable to wait any longer. The bank was about six or seven blocks away so I'd left my stuff at my desk before meeting up in the parade route; I went back, changed, and grabbed my stuff. By the time I'd gotten home after a side trip to get something for a late lunch, I'd guessed I probably still would have been in the parade or in the park where the main rally's held.

Again, it was a huge physical and mental challenge for me to even think about going today. Various issues with my general health have held me back from attending for years and to have this happen today was a huge blow, overall. I considered calling the organizers and telling them I wouldn't make it, then skipping out, but other factors about the parade had me decide to go after all. I know everything was beyond everybody's control but it's probably going to be another 5 or 10 years before I attend the parade and rally after, as it had been in the initial circumstances.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Ben,
That's a shame! I'm sorry y'all's parade had so many problems. :(

My daughter and I made it to the tiny festival up the road, and had a nice time - it felt really good to be able to be out publicly for the first time (I found a bi-tie-dye looking ball cap at QuikTrip, of all places). I think I incidentally came out to a couple of friends who were working the HRC booth, and learned that another friend who was there is part of the community as well. All in all, a good day.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
That's horrible BenPaced! I'm so sorry!

I had a bad time at Pride, myself. I went to the Trans March my city held, and that was amazing. I managed to walk the entire length of it, and felt joy nearly the entire time.

But the Pride Parade itself, two days later, was awful. I had been in contact with Pride staff about disability accommodations (I have low vision) and was assured there would be tons. Nothing they promised turned out to be true, and I ended up in a lot of pain by the end of the parade. People kept hitting my cane and me... ugh. I'm thinking of filling an offical complaint, but not sure how.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just so exhausted. Is anyone else exhausted?
All the damn time. I'm really feeling a tweet I saw from Tim Grierson a week or two back: (this is from memory, wording may not be 100%) "Being angry all the time is exhausting and corrosive. Not being angry feels morally irresponsible."

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Hi! I'm often tired and must wait for local (at least, within driving distance) Pride events this autumn. The timing is intimidating. This is my first time being even somewhat out in the South. What are the chances that election tension will encourage more LGBTQ+ participation than homophobic protests?

That last is a rhetorical question. I'll watch the news before deciding if any event will be kid-safe.

@edutton, public events are tricky for me, too. My body doesn't tolerate smoke, bright lights, certain foods, or spikes in anxiety well. I go with a mask (in case of a****** smokers), sunglasses (even on cloudy days), hand wipes, snacks, medicine, and exit plans. Even then, something happens. Always. Festivals are stressful.

At least Pride exists. I'm waiting for a day when I'm not scared to suggest one where I live. Seeing more small towns add queer-friendly events is encouraging.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
sending love and support to all trans people from america, all rainbow folk from brazil, and anyone else in a country that's getting scary to exist in. stay safe, we're here for you

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
sending love and support to all trans people from america, all rainbow folk from brazil, and anyone else in a country that's getting scary to exist in. stay safe, we're here for you

Well, looks like my state voted that I get to keep my rights. Yay?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just returned from a three-week trip to Europe. I think I fell in love with Berlin, and not just for its awesome QUILTBAG scene.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Very soon, myself and my bf of eight years are off to St. Louis. It’ll be a short trip, but maybe a good breath of fresh air to get me out of my own head a bit.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
RIP Jackie Shane

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/jackie-shane-death-1.5029817

Prominent figure in the Toronto soul scene in the 1960s. She and Barbara Amesbury were the two big transgender soul stars of the scene, although Barbara would continue to produce works into the 80s. Shane went out of the public spotlight in 1971.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hello QUILTBAG! I'm back on AW after dealing with my schizophrenia for a solid year.

I'm only going to be on AW in a thread in Office Party called Caitlin's corner. Kuwi already calls me Caitie - all of you are welcome to do so as well.

If you feel you need a safe space on AW that isn't in this section of the forum, go to my thread.

Anyway, it's great to be back. Come on over. Say hi!

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
The gaslighting is thick on Twitter today. Please remember to report abuse if see if on the site. Then spend time with friends or allies, because self care is important.

HRC posted a list for this month's hashtags. Happy LGBT Pride Month (USA).

#PrideMonth
#Stonewall50
#Stonewall
#Pride2019
#Pride
#loveislove
#SeeUsHearUs