How do you find a good agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterWannaBe

Registered
Reaction score
I've read that a bad agent is worse than no agent. Before I send out "my baby," I want to know it's in good hands. Any suggestions?

Any good suggestions for a romance publisher that isn't category? Thanks!

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Romance agents

Lots of good agents handle romance, since romance is a large, lucrative market. Only query agents who are either members of AAR (Association of Artists' Representatives), or adhere to AAR standards. (newer agents have to be in the biz a while before they qualify for AAR membership.) No agent should charge you ANYTHING up front to rep you----they are paid only through commissions on your royalties if/when they sell your ms. If your manuscript doesn't sell, they don't get paid----and that includes copying/postage "fees".

A good place to look for legit agents is a site called Preditors and Editors, as well as through Publishers Marketplace. Be sure to look for an agent that handles romance. (There are lots of them!)

Last edited:

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
You can also check out Writer's Market. If you see books that are similar to yours you can read the first pages for the thank you page. Sometimes the agents are mentioned.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
WriterWannaBe said:
I've read that a bad agent is worse than no agent. Before I send out "my baby," I want to know it's in good hands. Any suggestions?

Any good suggestions for a romance publisher that isn't category? Thanks!

Actually, these days there's only one romance publisher that IS category, and that's Harlequin/Sil.

Susan G.

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
And remember that Harlequin also publishes single-title romance under several of its many imprints, so don't count us out on that front! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.