What do you do for a living?

KBaum1608

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a disability analyst at a law firm. I'm the one a client talks to when they want our free consultation. It's my job to listen to their story and determine if they've got a good case for Social Security disability. It's brain intensive and can be emotionally taxing a lot of the time. Sometimes I've got folks on my line who I know are disabled, but they just don't have the evidence to back it up, so we can't prove it. It's difficult to tell them that I can't help. I have frazzled moms calling at the end of their ropes with special needs kids, disabled steel workers who have struggled with bad knees for decades and just can't do it anymore, people with fatal illnesses who can't afford their medical care because they can't work and can't get state insurance. Indiana was the second state to pass the "work requirement" in order to qualify for Medicaid. Disabled folks are exempt from the work requirement, but while they are applying for disability (a 2 year process) they aren't allowed to work. Now Indiana has taken their insurance. But you have to have medical treatment in order to have the evidence that you are disabled. If you aren't getting treatment, you get denied for disability. But they can't get treatment anymore, because they can't work while applying (or they get denied) and now can't have insurance if they aren't working. It's a terrible spot to be in. There are a lot of tears and frustrations from my clients during my day to day. It's my job to listen and help the best that I can.

risk10

Registered
Reaction score
Psychologist: but not the clinical kind. I work with organisations to understand workforce needs.

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a BA in professional writing, and I worked for a year writing instructional content for a U.S. Army contract company. Then I realized how much I hated technical writing, so I was happy to leave that job when I moved across the country! I now work as a medical receptionist in an outpatient therapy clinic, and I'm going back to school in the fall to begin working my way towards becoming a licensed practical nurse (and eventually a registered nurse).

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are you going to school for?

For now, a General Arts and Science Diploma. I'm using that to get into Queen's University in my hometown-- where I hope to take English Language and Literature.

I want to be an editor! : D

Barfus

Registered
Reaction score
First year going on second PhD student

J.T. Marsh

intemperate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jtmarshauthor.com
I work in a warehouse. If not for the fact that my entire hometown is controlled, part and parcel, by investors who've turned this place into a global commodity, I'd be earning a very good wage. Almost anywhere else in the country I'd live a comfortable life.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I play guitar professionally. I tour in bands. When I'm not touring, I write music for film, TV, Netflix and HBO. I quit my day job, so this is what I do 100% full time now. :D

I've been asked this before, so I'll offer it here. If someone's writing involves bands or musicians, I'm always happy to take a look at it and see if it's factual. :)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I play guitar professionally. I tour in bands. When I'm not touring, I write music for film, TV, Netflix and HBO. I quit my day job, so this is what I do 100% full time now. :D

I've been asked this before, so I'll offer it here. If someone's writing involves bands or musicians, I'm always happy to take a look at it and see if it's factual. :)

Can I ask what genres of music you play?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask what genres of music you play?

Haha, if I want to get paid, I have to play all of them. :Guitar:

My speciality is classic rock, but I also perform formal classical guitar at weddings, wineries, etc for side money. I have covered lots and lots and lots of pop music too. I also play neo-classical shred because that genre gets requested for TV and movies for the action scenes. At this point I'll write anything in any style if it pays. My agent will frequently put out a call for a song based off XYZ band, so a lot of my job is to mimic the sounds of other bands. Between that and the classic rock stuff, I'm pretty good at mimicking.

My Instagram is me playing guitar, so if you want to hear some stuff, I can link you.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, if I want to get paid, I have to play all of them. :Guitar:

My speciality is classic rock, but I also perform formal classical guitar at weddings, wineries, etc for side money. I have covered lots and lots and lots of pop music too. I also play neo-classical shred because that genre gets requested for TV and movies for the action scenes. At this point I'll write anything in any style if it pays. My agent will frequently put out a call for a song based off XYZ band, so a lot of my job is to mimic the sounds of other bands. Between that and the classic rock stuff, I'm pretty good at mimicking.

My Instagram is me playing guitar, so if you want to hear some stuff, I can link you.

PM please; I'd like to hear it. I'm an avid guitar buff. You should check out YouTube user account "Troy Grady." He has amazing videos showing slow speed playing of Michael Angelo Batio and many others. Troy built a device to add to guitars to show slow motion picking. Amazing watching double-slant picking and what not.

Cheers.

Hunt & Peck

Registered
Reaction score
At the moment, I work for a state agency...4-day work week, which is great, but the pay and insurance is a bit lacking. The job itself comes easy to me, and it's a desk job, which is something I never had until now and am enjoying.

Prior to this I was in the military, a deputy sheriff (investigator), and a government contractor overseas for DoS and DoD. I miss the "action," but am determined to stick with my current job due to it's a great work/life balance due to the schedule.

Dr Mindermast

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a clinical psych postdoc (legally can't call myself a psychologist until I get my license, which will hopefully be in 8 months). I work primarily with kids in the foster system, or at risk of placement. Maybe not what I would call "fun" work, and the bureaucracy sucks, but I do enjoy it.

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
I work in IT for my local county government. OK actually I do most of our IT clerical and inventory, and all of our purchasing and also make coffee in the mornings. I've been in IT for 20 years. I still get to do some actual tech work every now and again, too.
Eh...it's a living.