What do you do for a living?

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
Up until very recently (this past Saturday) I was a server at a independent, family owned and operated seafood restaurant. I spent 16 years there. Now I am opening a little silk hair highlight business.

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
I make tea.

Okay, I can do other things. I make lattes and stuff, I cook up avocado and toast and I'm a dab hand at washing up. My job is relatively simple but I like that; I can do most of it on automatic and so can spend my time thinking over my plots. Most of my ideas come when I'm at work!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a plant healthcare technician for a tree company. I take care of trees and shrubs and help keep them healthy.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a landlady, and retail worker. Both jobs requiring high people skills.

satisverborum2003

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chantalravens.wordpress.com
I am a hospital pharmacist, which is great because I earn a lot. However, my heart had always been in writing. On the upside, though, I get lots of materials for my fiction by being in such a customer facing role. I work with doctors and nurses and speak to the patients about their medicines. In fact, I am known as" the medicines" expert and people really appreciate my role because they ask me questions about medications all the time. The downside is that it takes a lot of my time and I can only devote a small chunk of my time to writing and drawing.

tbjeremiah

Registered
Reaction score
I am a freelance illustrator/designer/proofreader. Before I struck out solo, I used to work in nonprofit marketing. Soooo glad to have left that behind. Nonprofit work can be very fulfilling, but it's also pretty grueling.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working through a temp agency but hoping to be working in a library by this time next year.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
I work for my university in the Materials Management warehouse. I work with several guys, around my age or older, gathering surplus office, classroom, or building materials, storing them in our warehouse or tossing them in the dump. I deliver packages to offices and departments across campus, and help with some other projects. I have three great supervisors and we actually make it fun, even in hard jobs. It's a good part time job, as I look for my first post-college job and living situation. Looking for writing or game testing positions.

ewynne

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a server at a local brunch place, been working there for four years. I like it ok. It's more interesting than office work, and it's good to have a work family. I'm kind of on my own, so that's important to me. I've been accepted into an M.A. program for Language and Literacy Education; what I want to study is animation as literature. Still have to find an assistantship, though, and if that doesn't work out, I'm not exactly sure what I'm gonna do, because I have to have an income... I want to keep working at the restaurant part-time, too, but I don't know if I'll be able to swing it.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Currently what I do is work for a clinical trials company and investigate if/when something goes wrong(not often) and proactively ensure everything is going as it should

I make sure trial drug gets to very ill patients on time and that the drug is of good quality. We have actually packed the drug that has given my sil another 6 months with her kids

Job satisfaction is pretty high

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
I teach college English and own/rent/manage properties.

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
Freelance computer programmer here

BagfootBandit

Registered
Reaction score
Astrophysicist, send help

Help sent in the form of e-cookies. With little marshmallow stars. It's all the help I can afford.

Technically I work at Chick-Fil-A, but I've been out for two months due to a broken collarbone. They want me back but I'm spending a lot of my free time looking for almost anything else that pays better. My backup plan is to write a bestseller.

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
I work in a publishing company, and my job consists in selling to foreign publishers the right to translate our (French) books into their language. I've been doing this for 35 years now, and it's great because you are in touch with people from all over the world. This part of publishing is very friendly, you meet publishers at book fairs, and you get to speak about old and new books all the time. You are constantly learning new stuff - such as for instance the whole business with electronic rights. It's a job that is half way between promotion (you speak about the books) and legal (you negotiate and draw up contracts). So I read books for work all year round (except on holidays), and write a little in the evenings, but mostly over the weekends. I also do some translations.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I work in a publishing company, and my job consists in selling to foreign publishers the right to translate our (French) books into their language. I've been doing this for 35 years now, and it's great because you are in touch with people from all over the world. This part of publishing is very friendly, you meet publishers at book fairs, and you get to speak about old and new books all the time. You are constantly learning new stuff - such as for instance the whole business with electronic rights. It's a job that is half way between promotion (you speak about the books) and legal (you negotiate and draw up contracts). So I read books for work all year round (except on holidays), and write a little in the evenings, but mostly over the weekends. I also do some translations.

C'est magnifique! Comment est la salaire?

recoveringandroid

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a data analyst, entirely by accident. I was hired on in theory as a project manager, spent 3 years not managing any projects (got put on putting-out-fires duty by my terrible manager instead), and then was told about six months ago that we're now all data analysts & that they highly valued my expertise in a particular department that I've never done any work with. ;) Part of me thinks I should be looking for something else, but at the same time they leave me alone more often than not.

csteffoz

Registered
Reaction score
I am a freelance illustrator/designer/proofreader. Before I struck out solo, I used to work in nonprofit marketing. Soooo glad to have left that behind. Nonprofit work can be very fulfilling, but it's also pretty grueling.

Omg I'm in the digital advertising sphere for nonprofits! Luckily my company is a for-profit agency, so I'm one degree removed from the full nonprofit experience. I love it but sometimes I wonder if the satisfaction is worth the significant reduce in pay compared to the for-profit world -_-