What do you do for a living?

DMcCunney

Registered
Reaction score
These days, mostly retired. Previously, I had the sort of mixed bag background that appears in writer's bio copy. Depending on just what period it was and what hat I was wearing, I was variously a graphic designer/print production guy, solar energy analyst, structural and ornamental metal metalworker, Museum exhibit builder and maintainer, jr. financial analyst, high-tech market researcher, and systems, network, and telecom administrator, supporting Unix/Linux systems and Windows when I didn't duck fast enough.

None of them were things I was trained for, and all were serendipitous. I fell into the deep end of one or another pool and learned to swim.

These days I'm a moderator on a major website devoted to electronic books and the technology they are based on, and an event planner for hobbyist conventions who deals with the venu in which th event takes place.

I tell people I'm still figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.
______
Dennis

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a dishwasher. Thankfully I work at one of those restaurants for rich people (usually paying hundreds of dollars for one meal and overpriced wine) so I earn a decent amount. Plus, we're only open five nights a week and only do dinner service. So I'm the only dishwasher on staff which means guaranteed hours. Plus, I work in the basement so I'm the only one who doesn't have to wear a uniform. Four years of guaranteed money and identical weekly schedules has made my life very comfortable.

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've been teaching college English--composition and critical thinking--for the past 14 years and have been president of my union for the past three years. My work has been an incredible source of inspiration for my writing.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
https://theamericanscholar.org/10-famous-authors-with-surprising-day-jobs/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

When you’re facing yet another dreary work week, it can be tempting to leave the meetings and deadlines all behind to devote your days to writing the Great American Novel. Still, these 10 famous writers managed to write and hold down day (or night) jobs while they did. So for the sake of your novel and your 401(k), maybe that day job could be the inspiration for your book.

chimneyswift

Registered
Reaction score
I used to work in a guitar shop, selling guitars and teaching kids how to play guitar. I was since then diagnosed with a mental illness and am now unemployed:cry:. I've been unemployed close to 4 or 5 years.

Lirien

Registered
Reaction score
Managerial accounting.

Reporting, costs, budgeting, financial planning, forecasts, Excel spreadsheets. Daily 40 min commute (one way).

A certain passive income will start in 2020 so I'm thinking of finding something closer to home, possibly not full time.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a professional historian for some time now, but for the past two months I've been working as an archivist. It was a good opportunity for a better schedule and more pay, and the work is far more interesting than I thought it might be. I'm always reading new material and its nice helping people do research.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Im retired now, so I am fortunate enough to do whatever the hell I want. These days I spend a lot of my free time doing urban rockhounding. I collect agates and various types of chalcedony and put em in my rock tumblers (yes plural, Ive got two at this point) and polish them up and give them to various artists around the USA and they do whatever they want to with them. I am considering going on Etsy and selling some of them, cause after the third gallon bucket full of unpolished rocks, I am knee deep in agates here. Anyone need some shiny rocks?

shanthini

Registered
Reaction score
I am a user experience designer/visual designer and have been for several years. A little bored with it, but ... it's what I know.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
I’m a semi retired homeopath and energy healer. Just work with a few clients now. And completely retired from making lampwork glass beads and jewelry and glass fusing.

Devil Doc

Registered
Reaction score
I’m a retired US Navy Corpsman and now teach high school medical sciences and biotechnology.

LeeLara

Happy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Jack-of-All-Trades. Though I'm currently a midwife, I still have plenty of time for writing, blogging and some freelance jobs. My current obsession is furniture restoring. I'm still learning and cannot do some tasks which involve carpentry, so all I do is mostly restore torn leather and vinyl thanks to various vinyl repair tips I could find on the web.

Wariforever14

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 4th grade teacher in Arizona and my husband works for APEX Leadership Co. (fundraising in schools!)