B&N wants me for a book signing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayreno

Registered
Reaction score
I just have a quick question and was not sure where to post it. If an Indy author gets an email from a Barnes and Noble at a rather lage mall wanting to arrange a book signing, that is a good thing right?? Shortly after publishing, two local libraries contacted me to set up signings/ author events, then the other day, I got the email from B&N (I admit, I cried)! I had gotten my info out there, which included my email address, and my book had been selling reasonably well, but I really feel like this is a wonderful break for me... any thoughts??

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Yes, it's a good thing! Let me give you some tips from years of signing experience:

1. Get both the name of your initial contact and the name of the weekend manager (who is normally not the person you're working with.)

2. Visit the store you'll be going to on a day when the weekend manager is on duty. Introduce yourself and smile a lot. Buy something to show that not only do they support you, as an author, you support THEM too. :)

3. Find out where, in that particular store, they normally host authors. Don't presume it'll be right at the front of the store. Often it's in the back or in a special "events" section. Don't be discouraged if it's nearly in the furnace room. Instead, use it to your advantage! Plan to make nice, printed signs directing readers to your location, and ASK if it's okay to post them on the day. Every store has different rules, so accept whatever they say and punt.

4. Find out if they're ordering the books or if you're providing them. If you're providing, find out from the event manager if you can get barcode labels printed by the store's system to put on books you sell. Trust me that the register workers won't know how to cope if a book is handed to them and it's not in their system!

5. Get an announcement in the city's newspapers weekend events calendar. This is normally free. If you're a local author to the store location, see if the paper will do a small write-up or review.

6. Call the store the morning before the signing and ASK if they'll post the signing on the sign board outside. Don't presume they'll just do it by themselves.

7. Don't presume the table will be set up or suitable for the signing. While most stores are on the ball, things can and do fall through the cracks. Plan to bring along a simple tablecloth, which tends to look more professional than a bare table.

8. Even if the store is ordering, bring a dozen or more along, "just in case." Maybe lots of sales, or none arrived despite being ordered, etc. Now, not every store will let you bring your own copies. But if it's their screw up, sometimes they'll bend to keep people happy.

9. Bring your "A" game on the day. Lots of smiles and "Hello"s, and a willingness to talk to people. Know that a lot of people will walk by without making eye contact. That's a defensive technique to avoid buying things not on their list. That's okay. Really. Sometimes they'll buy the moment you walk out of the store. Weird but true. Offer to sign the leftover stock. Stores generally like to have autographed books in the store, and you get some free placement, as the store will often showcase the signed books in a "quick gifts" section or in the "new fiction" area with a prominent autographed sticker.

10. Thank everyone in the store you come into contact with. Be polite and know you're a complication to their day. But if you're nice and you sell a few books, they'll invite you back.

Good luck & enjoy. Signings can be quiet or busy. You just never know. But they're definitely worth the effort. :)

Last edited:

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah great post Cathy!

That's great news, I hope it goes well. Nothing to add to Cathy's advice. Best of luck.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
from my experiences working in a bookstore and DJing dances and using a table cloth on a table, I suggest you bring a roll of duct tape that matches your table cloth (I suggest black). Drape your table cloth so that it just barely touches the floor, then tape it down on the side you're sitting on. that will keep the table cloth in place as you're accepting books and signing them, etc. and allow you to store your bag, extra books, etc on the floor and out of sight. I would also suggest bringing a bottle of water and some hand sanitizer (but keep the sanitizer out of sight and don't let people see you do it. the drapped table cloth provides cover for that too).

It might be a little more of a cost but also look at getting some professionally printed materials made up with your name, books's name, website, twitter, etc to put in front of the table or behind you. Have business cards and/or bookmarks made up and for free.

Cathy, great advice!

Robert Gonko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
robertgonko.wordpress.com
I just have a quick question and was not sure where to post it. If an Indy author gets an email from a Barnes and Noble at a rather lage mall wanting to arrange a book signing, that is a good thing right?? Shortly after publishing, two local libraries contacted me to set up signings/ author events, then the other day, I got the email from B&N (I admit, I cried)! I had gotten my info out there, which included my email address, and my book had been selling reasonably well, but I really feel like this is a wonderful break for me... any thoughts??

I know I'm a little late posting this, but congratulations on having a signing!

aprettytruestory

eating my words
Registered
Reaction score
I'm late too but I just wanted to say this sounds like an awesome opportunity, please come back and let us know how it went!

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Em....I hate you?

:D

kayreno

Registered
Reaction score
I am providing the books, but she said the barcodes are in their system. I sooo appreciate all the advice, I have had a couple small signings, but this is by far the biggest and I have gotten two more set up for after this! I never thought about the table cloth!! I always have hand sanitizer with me... LOL. I am having some small posters made that I can use for multiple events. I truly could hardly believe it when I was contacted! Wish me luck all!!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Good luck! Also, don't forget to post the location, date and time of the event in our Announcements forum. AWers are from all over. Maybe a few of us will stop by if we know the when & where. :)

kayreno

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Colleen! Very excited about all my upcoming events, but this one in particular!! Also a bit nervous... lol!!

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! It's awesome that you've gotten yourself out there enough that people are approaching you. :)

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Excellent advice from Cathy. I'd add a couple of things.

It's up to the writer to do everything possible to encourage attendance. There's nothing more fun than a well-attended signing and nothing more awkward than one where no one except the writer's spouse shows.

Wine and cheese, anyone? Everyone likes freebies, and if it makes readers more likely to buy a book, who's going to object.

Remember to chat up the bookstore staff. They're the ones who handsell books to customers who ask for recommendations.

Congrats to the OP---nice going on a self-pub'd work! All in all, I think the barriers are coming down. See this interview with a NYT bestselling author on the value of combining trade publishing with self-publishing.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any word on how it went?

Status
Not open for further replies.