Can I access an ancient post I made back in 2008??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I tried to use the AW search function, but I kept striking out. I plugged in the search terms "zombie" and "akiva goldsmith" and "legend" (for the move I Am Legend starring Will Smith) and there was nothing turning up in the search results.

Then I went to Google and did a Google search where I specified AW as the domain name. And all I came up with was this thread here from 2010 which is no longer a "normal" thread here in the forums and is instead in one of the AW archives. When you view this thread, the word "archive" appears in the URL, and the graphics have been watered down.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-188728.html

And if you scroll down in that old old old archive thread, you will see a post made by me (Plot Device) where I link the URL for the exact 2008 post I am ultimately searching for.

Plot Device 08-14-2010, 08:07 PM

The following link is to an old post of mine that's just plain long .... long ...... LONG!!!!

(Go to the bathroom before reading it.)

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3404411&#post3404411

But one the key thoughts I tried to put forth in that post is summarized like this: George Romero is usually given the honor of being "The Father of All Zombie Films." Yet the novel I AM Legend -- made into a Vincent Price B-film film called The Last Man on Earth -- is the true "Grandfather of All Zombie Films."

Romero was but a young adult when he saw the Vincent Price movie called The Last Man on Earth and was so inspired by the rich potential of its underlying premise that he quickly created the concept for Night of the Living Dead.

And for anyone here who has never taken the time to read ALL of the cinematic thou-shalt-not's in the long no-no list published by the Legion of Decency back in te 1930's, one of those thou-shant-not's was any sort of an attempt to do a graphic cinematic depiction "the undead." Romero had no concern for (and probably no knowledge of) the Legion of Decency's madates, so he just made his movie about "the undead" the way he wanted to. And it remains a classic from whch all other zombie films take their cues -- but still, full credence must always be given to the foundational and semial book I Am Legend.

Celia is correct about the black guy being another major aspect of the film's enduring success. And hand-i-hand with the fact that it was a black actor, it needs to be said that the gut-punch of an ending with its explosive social commentary is something you just don't forget.

But when I try to click into that 2008 link, I get the following error message:

Your administrator has required a password to access this forum. Please enter this password now.

Can you help me click into that old old old post from 2008?

Thanks! :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It's in Brainstorming Sandbox forum, which is now passworded in the same way Share Your Work is, to preserve privacy. The password is vista

-Derek

jeracoo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks dpaterso I couldn't work out how to get in there

Status
Not open for further replies.