2013 Writers' Police Academy

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! Another great one. I still don't know where I'll be attending since I'm limited to one (budget-wise), but I need to make a decision pdq. *sigh*

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
I haven't been since they did a limited dry run of this at another conference a few years back. I learned so much.

Since then, he's moved it to a working police academy and expanded it tremendously. I've been wanting to go back and am excited about going. But this one is going to sell out quickly.

Oldbrasscat

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping
Registered
Reaction score
In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies.
I so want to go to this, but with hubs sick I have to wait until the 2014 one. I have his book and it's a fantastic resource. Very clear cut and blunt and covers a lot of stuff I never would have thought about.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Sounds interesting but we have a prior commitment -- my hubby and I will be reconnecting with our inner beach bums down at the Outer Banks then.

But, for anyone in Virginia, a possible alternative option is to check to see if your police department offers a Citizens Police Academy series. It's a 10-week course that meets one night each week and goes over things like crime scene investigations, crime analysis, SWAT, 911 call centers, and so forth. And since my WIP takes place in Virginia, it should be helpful, even though it isn't specifically tailored to writers.