Clients recommend artists and designers

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm recommending the artist I worked with on my upcoming middle grade, Billy and the Gargoyles, Melissa Lyle. She does black and white or color illustrations or cover work for children's books. She is great to work with and took the time to listen to what I wanted. I sent pathetically, sad sketches of what I wanted and she brought them all to life.

You can get in touch with Melissa by e-mail or by message at Deviant Art
Contact Info [email protected]
Deviant Art Page TwinTwosGirl. You have to be a DA member to access her page.

Her rates per her DA page

Character fully colored w/ either a white or colored background - $10
Character w/ either a complex or simple background - $18
Digital sketch or digital ink line art - $4
Traditional pencil - $8

The above prices are for 1 character ONLY. If you want more than one character in a single picture, add $5 for each additional character.

My cover

f65d1513-5863-4871-a3f1-dd501097a8d2_zps818286f7.jpg

AlterEgox5

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abooksellerblog.blogspot.com
I recently worked with Regina Wamba of Mae I Design and Photography. She does flat rates for ebook covers. $325 gets you:

Design of front (unlimited revisions until it’s perfect for you)
High-Res image
E-book image for your online retailers
Digital Hardback image (for marketing purposes)

You can also request additional goodies if you need them such as Facebook banners for an author page and website design. And when she says unlimited revisions, she means it. She actually had an entire cover done, but it didn't quite work for me so she started over until we eventually came up with this one. You pay half to start and don't pay the other half until you like what you see.

I fully intend to work with her again because she was fun and polite in all her emails and does amazing work that you can see on her site and on her Facebook page.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I had the pleasure of working with AW member Gale Haut, who designed the new covers for two of my backlist books that are coming out very soon as ebooks and POD. They're unusual covers, and I think they're striking and eye-catching, but do judge for yourselves: I've just revealed them here. Gale listened to what I wanted and implemented it with his own creative flare. He finished quickly, was responsive and went above and beyond what we'd agreed on. I recommend him without reservation.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to recommend Carmen Waters who designed the cover for my upcoming novel, Death Bytes. She can be reached through ExtasyBooks.com. The site mainly does erotic novels, but they do other works of fiction as well, and my novel is YA and very reader-friendly. (Sorry, that was a bit of a shameless plug).

Carmen was terrific to work with, very accomodating and responsive, and while I do not have the creativity in the area of cover design like Alessandra Kelly and Gale Haut do (and I think they do excellent work), I know what I like. Many people have complimented me on the cover for my novel and I have Ms. Waters to thank for that.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Barbara R. I think it's a terrific cover for a terrific read.

(I'm not gonna say it's bad, am I?:D)

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I wanted to recommend Lucas Durham, who did the illustration for my story in Writers of the Future. The piece he did is the first one on his webpage:
http://lucasdurham.blogspot.com/

He does highly-detailed work in rich watercolors, is a super friendly guy, and he perfectly captured the feel of my story without me having to say a word (other than the writing itself!). I think, because of his medium and good sense of colors, his pieces tend to be unique and eye-catching.

Anyways, his email is LucasDurham1000 at gmail dot com.

jeracoo

Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend mlppas from deviant art fantastic work

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Mallory Rock has some nice pre-made covers. I saw one so perfect for a title of mine (the Speech of Angels) I bought it instantly, and she made it instantly too!
Including the tweaks (change of skin colour and font, addition of quote) I paid $85.
link

Kevin Brennan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Cover artist recommendation

I hope it's kosher to recommend an artist. If not, I guess this thread will get 86'd.

Anyway, I've just had a terrific experience with Scottish illustrator, Max Scratchmann. You can read about it here.

I'll show off his work when my book comes out later this year.

MsCorva

Registered
Reaction score
Steven Novak at Novak Illustration has been great to work with so far. Fast responses and amazing prices. His custom covers are a quarter of the cost of the guy who did my first book cover (who is also good, but pricey and not as fast of a turnaround as I would like so the company shall go unnamed).

Interrobang

Registered
Reaction score
I recommend GoOnWrite pre-made covers

I recommend GoOnWrite.

I just bought a pre-made cover from them. A really good selection at a good price ($40/£25).

I'd say that many of the covers here are better than those available for three or four times the price elsewhere.

They managed to turn my order around in a day and I’m very pleased with it.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I just got the cover for my second book from Najla Qamber Designs. I am so impressed! I couldn't be happier! She really captured what I wanted to portray. And very reasonable prices too. I highly recommend her.

I learned about her because of SLHang's recommendation in another thread. If you have seen her cover for Zero Sum Game, that's Najla's work too.

Last edited:

android415

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a custom illustrated cover from Talprints.com (his name on here is Retropaw).

I love my cover, and he was so pleasant to work with, was respectful of my budget, and he finished my cover in no time! :) would recommend for sure.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
I had a wonderful experience working with cover designer Jeanine Henning. I would give her my highest recommendation!

291oxsy.jpg

jhillustration.wordpress.com

Her work was very thorough and professional from our first contact to the final product.

Reasonable prices, a thorough understanding of the needs and what makes a good cover, and real-world experience as both a cover designer and an author.

MissMystra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.timelesstalesmagazine.com
I highly recommend Geoffrey Bunting at The Ugly Tree Graphic Design (http://theuglytreegraphicdesign.co.uk/). I run an online magazine (timelesstalesmagazine.com) and he not only designed several kickass covers for us, but also formatted the stories inside so they looked really professional. Ugly Tree's efforts elevated the quality of our magazine exponentially and had no trouble meeting our deadlines (usually delivering early, even!). Their rates were very reasonable, even though we were on a tight budget. We've used many different designers in the past, but Ugly Tree is, by far, my favorite. Definitely check them out!

I mean, just look at how gorgeous this one came out...

PB%2B2nd%2BEd%2BCover.jpg

PB%2BSamplePage1.JPG
PB%2BSamplePage2.JPG

Here's another example of the latest issue they worked on: https://simplebooklet.com/snowqueen#page=0

PPeterson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pjpeterson.net
Previous to writing, I worked in video games. So, I went to some old concept artists friends to help me with my cover. Their company is Ironbelly Studios in Montreal (you can find them on Facebook) and they do AMAZING work.

Now, because I was a friend, I can't say what their price might be for others. They also have a big game release coming up, so I don't know what their schedule would be like, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

I just thought that "video game concept artists" might be a new place to look to find your cover.

Here's the cover they designed for me:
SE-ENV2-D-Cover-Concept-C16.png