• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Anyone know any good articles/books/websites about productivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
I am looking for as much information on productive writing as possible because in two weeks I will have alot of different thing in my life to deal with like acemedics. I would like to be able to still put at-least 500 words down each day...
Does anyone have a link to the full free e-book or article of 2K-10K by Rachel Aaron?

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Is this what you were looking for? http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.com/ I have bought the book and found it pretty good, though of course everyone is different and you'll have to work out what works best for you on your own, etc. I notice that the book still costs 99 cents on Amazon unless you're a "Prime" member.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure there are any tricks. I've read a couple of such books, and they boil down to "when you have a spare minute, morning, noon, or night, use it for writing". This is about all any of us can do, whatever is going on in our lives.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Try reading Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy. It's not specifically about writing, but you can certainly apply it to writing.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I'm lost when it comes to reading books about productivity because I learn by doing.

Most of us have busy lives where it's necessary to make time for writing. I make time for writing on any given day, depending on my schedule.

When I was completing my degree, I didn't have time for creative writing because my academic writing came first.

If you want to include your creative writing while going to school, then you simply make the time for it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The secret to productivity is to do it. The books just take time away from getting it done, while giving you methods that may have worked for someone else. If goals work for you, set them. If a schedule works, create one. If you're like me, the more time you spend trying to be productive, the less time you have to actually be productive.

My real secret is keeping distractions to a minim... Oh Look! A Pony!

Jeff

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Chuck Wendig's site. He has some really great stuff.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Susan hit the nail on the head. Why waste time researching/reading books about how to be productive, when you could just be productive.

Prioritize what you need to do, and get to writing at the end.

Deleted member 42

Have a schedule. Start the day by writing for x number of minutes.

WormHeart

Dual class author / nightguard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fromthefrozennorth.com
Not sure you need a while book, but some advice and tips are certainly helpful.

I write aprox. 1000 words a day because that became my goal. Start small.
When do you have the time to write everyday? When everyone else is sleeping? In the early morning?
Start slow - 200 words or 500 words as the goal and then keep expanding until you reach the next level. :)

WormHeart

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Get up early. Go to bed late.

Cut back on time spent on video games or watching TV or hanging with friends; increase time spent reading and writing. Make writing something you must do, not something you 'like' to do 'when you have the time.'

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
The "just do it!" advice never works for me, personally. If it was that easy for everyone, no one would ever ask how to be more productive.

Eat That Frog is one I found pretty helpful. Getting Things Done by David Allen is also well worth reading. He shows you how to build a system for being productive. Again, not focused on writing specifically but the principles can be applied.

There are a couple of blogs I'd like to point out, too.

Asian Efficiency, which is a variation on Getting Things Done and also focuses a lot on routines and maximizing productivity. With the added bonus of being free, of course.

And also Lifehacker, which isn't about productivity per se, but does have a lot of related and useful content.

Right now I'm kind of using a combination of things I've picked up from the above. I'm not successful all the time in maximizing every minute of every day, but I am getting a whole lot more done than I used to, and faster too.

I'll use an example of something I do right now that makes life a lot easier. I have a giant notebook that every day I turn to a new page, write the date and divide the page in half. On the left side is my actual running to do list. There are usually 15-20 things on it, everything from doing taxes to household chores. On the right side are my project notes, that is, information I need to get a multi-step project done. For example, making a list of all the paperwork I needed to have handy when I did my taxes. Or writing down the vet's phone number for when I need to call in a refill on my cat's medications. As I complete things, I cross them off the list. And I simply transfer anything I didn't do to the next day's list, then add whatever needs to be added.

Yes, I could do it all on a computer. I tried, it didn't work. Spent all my time trying to make the perfect system on the computer, as opposed to just scribbling things down in a notebook. Plus having it down on paper and out on my desk means I actually look at it.

The one thing that I don't really do and probably should is make an actual schedule. Having a to-do list is all well and good, but without a set routine I admit I often fall back into old habits, especially when I'm tired or stressed out. Which unfortunately is a lot these days. But anyway, being productive isn't just about making time to do one thing, it's keeping up with everything you have to do so you can set aside the time for what you want to do.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
The "just do it!" advice never works for me, personally. If it was that easy for everyone, no one would ever ask how to be more productive.

word.

Seconding David Allen's "Getting Things Done". Helps to clarify your mind. I think a big part of productivity is clarity about what you are trying to do. For example, I'm *very* slow with my story right now, but that's because I'm still trying to figure it out. I think if you know what to do next you can do it, even if you have only a sliver of time. But that's the trick IMO - knowing exactly what to do next.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I can add is be wary of any process, tricks, etc., that take more time than the writing itself.

"Just do it" doesn't work for everyone, but neither does anything else. No matter what motivation or tricks you find, every last one comes down to making the time to write, and then writing during the time you've made. You write, or you don't. Most don't.

You can get up a littloe earlier, you can go to bed a little later, you can write during your lunch time, or you can cut out leisure activites, and that's about it. What you do with this time is write, or not.

Five hundred word is several hours work for some writers, and twenty minutes of work for others. It's what I average in an hour. How long it takes you to write the five hundred words you're after will determine what you need to do, not anyone else's plan, tricks, or tips. You have to clear enough time to write five hundred words at your pace, and then you have to use that time for actually writing.

You make the time to write, you don't find it, and when you make the time, you use it to write.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Another resource I've found effective in general is the good old fashioned "Seven Habits"

Begin with the end in mind, put first things first, positive attitude, etc.

It's popular and enduring because it works.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Is the book only for kindle? What if i don't have a kindle?

Go to the link in dawinsor's comment. It's the same content in the book. The book has a few more things but I didn't notice that the book gave that much more in value than can be gleaned from her post.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Being at 40,000 words on the last day of November with nothing else to do did wonders for me (so did the MC going manic, but I don't think I could get away with that every day). Maybe I should strive to have more days like that.

Also, there's Peter Diamandis' Espresso Shots (I wonder if he swiped the term for short videos from Jason Silva, but they're both good). These are a bit more business-oriented, but I think they apply well to writing and motivation in general. He can afford a film crew, but he makes his own videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterdiamandis

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Another vote for Brian Tracy's Eat That Frog. The book has some very helpful advice that you may or may not have heard before and I found some new techniques that I've been using quite successfully.

Also check out www.mytomatoes.com. It's basically a 25-minute timer. The Pomodoro system works really well and boost productivity. I highly recommend that you read about it and consider adapting it in your own unique way.

Good luck!

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Also check out www.mytomatoes.com. It's basically a 25-minute timer. The Pomodoro system works really well and boost productivity. I highly recommend that you read about it and consider adapting it in your own unique way.

OMG how awesome is this?

I'll tell you!

VERY AWESOME! *bookmarks*

Status
Not open for further replies.