• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Porlbme solver - Write a note to yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Great advice to help think through tough challenges. I can see how this would apply to "writing yourself into corner" or any writer's block, too. Link is here. Snippet is below:
In the body of the message, start by typing a 2-3 sentence paragraph summarizing the trouble you’re having, with a focus not on your frustration or your dramatic need for immediate help — instead concentrate on coolly describing exactly what you want to accomplish as well as what happens when you try the approach that hasn’t been working for you. Remember: you’re theoretically writing this to the smartest, busiest person you know, so don’t waste their time with theatrics, melodrama, and passive-aggression; just give them accurate information that describes where you’re getting hung up.

Next, explain the ways you’ve already tried to solve this problem, including any alternate solutions, workarounds, hacks, reboots, etc. Anything that will help this very smart friend rule out possible causes is useful. And don’t be reluctant to use Google as you go; fact-checking yourself, choosing precise language, and ensuring that you’ve framed the right problem.

Marcusthefish

Registered
Reaction score
Good advice. I write letters to myself when I'm revising something. It helps me to get a handle on the next task, and to consider variations on plot and character. I got the idea from Crawford Killian's book: Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy.

MTF

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I must have JUST come out of surgery when I did the title line for this one. I blame Percoset. If anyone else wants to challenge me, well, I'll take more Percoset and fall asleep. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.