Does anyone know some statistics?

clouddog

Registered
Reaction score
HI

I'm thinking about the rest of writing my play

I was wondering if anyone knows the statistics of how many novels get sent to publishers compared with how many get published
and the same for plays? how many completed re written polished scripts for the theatre get sent off and how many get shown at a professional stage?

I'm somehow thinking that a lot of people write novels and not that many write plays - but then not that many plays are produced with the play in the theatre being the end product of this

Does anyone know - i have googled it but no luck

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have stats, but I;m pretty sure more people write novels than write plays. As far as novels written/polished/submitted versus novels published, the latter is a very small percentage of the former. I expect well less than one percent. Just based on logic, the numbers will differ depending on how you count it. An agent will be able to tell you how many of the titles they represent get published out of how many queries they get (very much less than 1%, I'm betting). It seems an individual novel's chances of getting published goes up the more it's submitted, but I'm sure that's still a very small number--it's not uncommon for a novel to be queried to over 100 agents before it's picked up or the author gives up. Throw small publishers who take direct submissions, and then self-publishing and (last resort) vanity publishing, those numbers go up, but I'm sure are still small. This is a tough business.

There is an entire forum for screenplays and scripts here, and the Ask the Agent forum might get you more info on novels sent versus novels published (and I'm sure you can find an existing thread addressing this part of it).

Welcome to AW!

clouddog

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have stats, but I;m pretty sure more people write novels than write plays. As far as novels written/polished/submitted versus novels published, the latter is a very small percentage of the former. I expect well less than one percent. Just based on logic, the numbers will differ depending on how you count it. An agent will be able to tell you how many of the titles they represent get published out of how many queries they get (very much less than 1%, I'm betting). It seems an individual novel's chances of getting published goes up the more it's submitted, but I'm sure that's still a very small number--it's not uncommon for a novel to be queried to over 100 agents before it's picked up or the author gives up. Throw small publishers who take direct submissions, and then self-publishing and (last resort) vanity publishing, those numbers go up, but I'm sure are still small. This is a tough business.

There is an entire forum for screenplays and scripts here, and the Ask the Agent forum might get you more info on novels sent versus novels published (and I'm sure you can find an existing thread addressing this part of it).

Welcome to AW!

Thanks for your reply

I thought that would be the case that more novels are written than plays

However proportionately
More people probably read more than they go to the theatre so it would probably be evened out in the end with equal risk

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't about numbers or proportions or odds. If you novel is good enough, it sells. The same is true with a play. Writing isn't a lottery, it's about quality, and nothing else.

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
In plays, there is a vast middle-ground that I don't think exists in novels: "The reading" and "The workshop".

Not many plays are produced on Broadway but then not many novels make the NY Times Bestseller list.

I think that, as a percentage, more new plays are seen in some form by the public than are novels that are read by the public. You can get your new play read before a group by experienced actors without too much effort. Most local community theaters are more than willing to help you with this.

If your play has merit you can usually have it workshopped: The play is read but there is a degree of rehearsal and often the play is blocked (the actors move around the stage as in a full production). This is often referred to as a "Script in Hand" production.

I don't think there is an equivalent on the novel side.

Doug

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Depends on what you consider to be 'equivalent'. What is the metric? Are we counting eyeballs?

How many people will attend a given reading of a play. A couple of hundred? Perhaps?

How many people will download and read a self published novel. Again, perhaps a couple of hundred?

Both paths, will profit from lots and lots of marketing, social media networking, word of mouth... etc.

So, I'd say there's a similar middle ground for plays, novels and yes... even screenplays that get read, script in hand.

Now then, VIDEOTAPE those readings, post them on YouTube... and you can get more eyeballs. Just another way to build followers.

My point being, I would classify self-publishing a novel as the same 'middle ground' as a staged reading. You hope to generate eyeballs, and garner attention from someone with enough clout to make it 'big'.

clouddog

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what you consider to be 'equivalent'. What is the metric? Are we counting eyeballs?

How many people will attend a given reading of a play. A couple of hundred? Perhaps?

How many people will download and read a self published novel. Again, perhaps a couple of hundred?

Both paths, will profit from lots and lots of marketing, social media networking, word of mouth... etc.

So, I'd say there's a similar middle ground for plays, novels and yes... even screenplays that get read, script in hand.

Now then, VIDEOTAPE those readings, post them on YouTube... and you can get more eyeballs. Just another way to build followers.

My point being, I would classify self-publishing a novel as the same 'middle ground' as a staged reading. You hope to generate eyeballs, and garner attention from someone with enough clout to make it 'big'.

Very funny way of putting it counting eyeballs

I don't have any idea how to connect with the theatre world

I have no clue which sites are best for networking and no great skills in making friends and influencing people