• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hydra / Flirt / Alibi / Loveswept

demelza

Registered
Reaction score
Any idea regarding the response time from Loveswept?

FWIW I submitted a query to Loveswept last year and Sue Grimshaw asked for a partial. Ultimately, she passed on my manuscript but I did get a prompt response from her. Maybe they are currently swamped with submissions?

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
Does anyone have any recent(ish) experience with Hydra? I'm looking at them, but it's hard to figure out what to think--the backlash toward their contract was *so* horrible when they first started out that that that discussion makes up most of the articles about Hydra. But they have the traditional publishing model contract option now, and (given the number of folks querying in this thread) it looks like the imprints are a much more reasonable option. Is that a fair assumption?

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
Anyone hear from any of the Random House imprints lately? I got a full request from Hydra in October, told them I got a contract offer I was considering in December, and then told them I had not signed that contract in early March. I never heard a thing from either of those emails, so the last email I have is them confirming that they got the manuscript in October.

I'm assuming I should hunker down and wait until at least May before I follow up. But anyone have any experience with full manuscript turnarounds with them?

(Also, if this is totally not the right place to post this, just tell me. :))

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody been published with Loveswept in the last few years and would be happy to share their experiences, here or over PM? :) Mostly I'm interested in how well the book was promoted/marketed for you.

ceterumcenseo

Registered
Reaction score
Desperation drives me to ask the same question as below. I submitted a query in early March, so I'm probably going to have to wait a while. But if anyone has some experience with Hydra, please speak. :p

Anyone hear from any of the Random House imprints lately? I got a full request from Hydra in October, told them I got a contract offer I was considering in December, and then told them I had not signed that contract in early March. I never heard a thing from either of those emails, so the last email I have is them confirming that they got the manuscript in October.

I'm assuming I should hunker down and wait until at least May before I follow up. But anyone have any experience with full manuscript turnarounds with them?

(Also, if this is totally not the right place to post this, just tell me. :))

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
They've published an online friend of mine, Alis Franklin (LIESMITH and STORMBRINGER) through representation from an A+ agent. Her sales have seemed modest, judging from the outside look I get from Amazon ranks. But the ebooks are well formatted and well promoted, and I love her writing. Publisher on my list for an eventual query.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
They've published an online friend of mine, Alis Franklin (LIESMITH and STORMBRINGER) through representation from an A+ agent. Her sales have seemed modest, judging from the outside look I get from Amazon ranks. But the ebooks are well formatted and well promoted, and I love her writing. Publisher on my list for an eventual query.

Thanks Filigree. I'll post on here when or IF I get a reply.

Rebecca Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
I just submitted to Hydra. They said it would be 2-4 weeks for a reply...hopefully that's the case, but I know it can take much longer.

http://www.readhydra.com/

I submitted in November. Got the request within 2 weeks for the full manuscript, which I sent back within days (so early Dec), but have had no further word. After four months I sent a polite follow up, but nothing. We're now at six months and waiting.

I'm working on other projects with my current publisher so I've not really been too worried about waiting, but they wouldn't want the novel I submitted to Hydra. I'm not sure how much longer I'll wait to try and find a different home for the MS.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Any updates on the Alibi imprint as far as how happy their authors are, or what their current response times are?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Kind of an update on Hydra (more for writers with agents): be careful about signing with this publisher.

Long story short: series dropped after book 2, basically because author wanted to go beyond 'token fantasy romance diversity example'. She's not the only author to experience this. She's fairly kind and logical about it.

https://alisfranklin.com/wyrd/publishing-diversity-with-an-aside-on-the-wyrd-3/

Series get canned for many reasons. But in these days of leaner markets, signing as a publisher's trophy and a virtue signal can be dangerous for a writer's later chances.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Loveswept is closing.

It's all over Twitter. Kristin Nelson broke the news.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
So far Loveswept hasn't made any official announcement but here is some mention it on Twitter. Everyone was passing Kristin's profile around yesterday but I don't see it on her profile anymore.

Twitter mentions: https://twitter.com/search?src=typd&q=loveswept

An LS author told me she heard from her editor last night and the editor had no idea this was happening until the last minute. I'm in a lot of author and writing groups and other LS authors have confirmed that their editors were the ones who informed them as well. One said her editor called her crying because she was so shocked. Seems like no one knew but Kristin Nelson at the time. Not sure why RH hasn't made announcements yet but that seems typical of pubs when they close. Seems like a statement always comes a few days later.

Last edited:

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
One of my CPs was published with Loveswept. She had published book 1 of a series, was working on book 2. Says the rights will revert to her in a couple months and her agent is going to re-shop both of them. Her editor lost her job, but I'm not sure if it was the agent or editor who told her the news this week.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
So far Loveswept hasn't made any official announcement but here is some mention it on Twitter. Everyone was passing Kristin's profile around yesterday but I don't see it on her profile anymore.

Twitter mentions: https://twitter.com/search?src=typd&q=loveswept

An LS author told me she heard from her editor last night and the editor had no idea this was happening until the last minute. I'm in a lot of author and writing groups and other LS authors have confirmed that their editors were the ones who informed them as well. One said her editor called her crying because she was so shocked. Seems like no one knew but Kristin Nelson at the time. Not sure why RH hasn't made announcements yet but that seems typical of pubs when they close. Seems like a statement always comes a few days later.

I think they haven't been accepting new authors in a while like a lot of the digital first arms of big publishers?

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe but Loveswept is now CLOSED. It's not just about new submissions. They are closing the imprint for good along with other digital imprints. I am not sure if Random House ever made a public statement but the authors all know now and have been told privately. The only public statement I've seen to confirm this is the statement from Publishers Marketplace I linked to a comment above where they said RH has confirmed these imprints are closed.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Yes in the Publishers Marketplace they said RH is closing other digital imprints and yes Loveswept was just digital. Not sure though if they offered any advances. Usually digital imprints don't but they had some popular authors there with agents so those could've gotten advances. Not sure but you are right, usually you don't get an advance with a digital-only imprint.