Submission Queries

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
How long do you guys wait before querying about a submission? I have a novella out, and the editor said to give her 4-8 weeks. It's been 12 and I'm wondering if it's appropriate yet. Thanks for the help!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
How long do you guys wait before querying about a submission? I have a novella out, and the editor said to give her 4-8 weeks. It's been 12 and I'm wondering if it's appropriate yet. Thanks for the help!

I usually wait the stated response time + 1/3 - to 1/2 that time before querying. So, if it were me, I would query at 12 weeks if the stated response time was 4-8 weeks.

(There are exceptions. If the response time is stated at 90 days or over, I query as soon as I pass that mark. But for faster responses, I usually wait a little longer.)

When you query be sure to be polite. It never hurts to phrase the query in terms of "I want to be certain you received this." You might also ask "Is this still under consideration?"

Aggy, had a few things get lost in the submission queue before

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Melinda.

Most markets have very specific guidelines and say "query after X days/weeks/months." I have no problem querying almost immediately after that time has passed. If the story is still under consideration than the editors will tell me so -- but if it or the response has gotten lost, I would rather know sooner than later.

Unless the specific market/editor you submitted to advertises longer guidelines than what the editor has told you directly, a brief polite query shouldn't be problematic at all.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Melinda.

I have no problem querying almost immediately after that time has passed.

What do you do if you know the magazine is still alive and well, and they acknowledged your initial submission, but after you politely query them four months later, they still don't get back to you, after say, 10 days? Do you query again? (Feels like pestering, but like you, I like to know if they've lost it or if an email response has gone astray.)

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Aggy answered a L0RE question the other day, saying that she received a second-round bump from them months ago. Their guidelines say their response time is "up to 90 days" and that they've "fallen a bit behind but are catching up quickly." I'm at 96 days and have seen perhaps 30 responses on Duotrope/The Grinder for stories much younger than mine, as well as several that were older than mine, a few beyond the 150-day mark.

Anyway, I'm thinking of querying them at 6 days past 90. I never received any correspondence from them since the day I submitted. Since I never got a bump email, I'm assuming they haven't read my submission yet. If you lovely people were in my shoes (blue Sauconys), would you query or wait a while longer? I've actually only queried a market once, and it turned out my sub was in the incorrect folder in their email. Granted, L0RE sent me a "submission received" email immediately.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Aggy answered a L0RE question the other day, saying that she received a second-round bump from them months ago. Their guidelines say their response time is "up to 90 days" and that they've "fallen a bit behind but are catching up quickly." I'm at 96 days and have seen perhaps 30 responses on Duotrope/The Grinder for stories much younger than mine, as well as several that were older than mine, a few beyond the 150-day mark.

Anyway, I'm thinking of querying them at 6 days past 90. I never received any correspondence from them since the day I submitted. Since I never got a bump email, I'm assuming they haven't read my submission yet. If you lovely people were in my shoes (blue Sauconys), would you query or wait a while longer? I've actually only queried a market once, and it turned out my sub was in the incorrect folder in their email. Granted, L0RE sent me a "submission received" email immediately.

I think you are probably fine to query now. If you still feel a bit hesitant, would it make you feel better to wait for the 100 day mark?

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've considered waiting four measly more days. 100 is such a nice round number. I'm more concerned with whether to query in four days or in, say, 30 days.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Yeah, I've considered waiting four measly more days. 100 is such a nice round number. I'm more concerned with whether to query in four days or in, say, 30 days.

Yeah, that's tough. Especially with responses coming in at the 150 mark. But I do still think you are within reason to send a query. If nothing else they'd be able to tell you where you are in the que?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't squander your time. Query at 90+ days. That way you will not have wasted an extra week in case the submission is lost, and the editors should have no problem with a 90+ day query.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I queried one market that didn't have a response by time in their guidelines, but mine was well over the Duotrope average. That story was accepted! So my query did not annoy them. The market I started this thread about, I still have not queried mainly because I am being a chicken. It's for a novella they requested the whole manuscript for and said to give them 4-8 weeks. I've been stalking, err watching there site and they moved to a new and better site and also the main editor moved to a new house. But pretty soon I'll probably woman up and send the query because they have been putting out new releases. Thanks for the help!

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
And as a final wrap up, I finally queried about the Novella that started all this. They actually had sent an email I never received about sending the manuscript to a second editor. It was accepted today! So querying after a reasonable time and in a polite manner does not seem to ruin anything :)

As another aside to the submission process, Daniel Scott the Executive Editor of The Colored Lens guest blogged on my website today. He gives some good insights into the world of the editor with Hook Line and Sinker.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Eva! These acceptances came after a particularly long stretch of rejections, so it's been extra awesome :)

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
I've been wondering about submission queries, too. Waylines says to query them after 30 days. I hit the 30+ days last week and queried, but I've yet to hear back. I'm not real worried about it, just curious. At what point do you query after your query?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CL I'd suggest giving them a couple of weeks to sort things out before you re-query.

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
I've been wondering about submission queries, too. Waylines says to query them after 30 days. I hit the 30+ days last week and queried, but I've yet to hear back. I'm not real worried about it, just curious. At what point do you query after your query?

Waylines closed to subs over the summer, with the editors out of town and gearing up for the next issue. I'm presuming you've heard something by now...?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Waylines closed to subs over the summer, with the editors out of town and gearing up for the next issue. I'm presuming you've heard something by now...?

Dawn, I'm not seeing any recent responses on the Grinder. Nothing since Waylines reopened to subs, anyway. Any insight as to when they'll tackle the slush pile again?

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
Hi Alex (& others)

We've been reading submissions last week and this week. We're using a new slushing system, too. So a few bumps on the restart and it looks like we're not doing anything, right? Hang in there if you're waiting.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Alex (& others)

We've been reading submissions last week and this week. We're using a new slushing system, too. So a few bumps on the restart and it looks like we're not doing anything, right? Hang in there if you're waiting.

Woot! Thanks for clarification.