Good sites for posting fiction for people to read?

Daggilarr

Registered
Reaction score
My advice would be to go for beta readers. Get involved in writer forums like this one, post some sections. If you get some comments ask them if they would be willing to read more. There are Facebook groups as well, Google plus has some communities devoted to writing.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
I just learned about a new site this past week, Inkitt, where you can post your fiction for people to read free. It is similar to Wattpad, except Inkitt is also a publisher. If your stories get a lot of interaction from readers (based on an algorithm they use) you could possibly be offered a book deal. I put one of my novels up there last week as an experiment to see if helps me to connect with some new readers. Since I just started there, I can't give an opinion yet on how well the site works in that regard. But it is a very slick and professional site that looks to offer some real potential.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I just learned about a new site this past week, Inkitt, where you can post your fiction for people to read free. It is similar to Wattpad, except Inkitt is also a publisher. If your stories get a lot of interaction from readers (based on an algorithm they use) you could possibly be offered a book deal. I put one of my novels up there last week as an experiment to see if helps me to connect with some new readers. Since I just started there, I can't give an opinion yet on how well the site works in that regard. But it is a very slick and professional site that looks to offer some real potential.

Hi Larry, and :welcome:.

There's a thread on Inkitt in AW's Bewares & Background Checks forum, and for good reason. Indeed, they're very good at slick presentation. Almost as good as they are at prolific spamming. Not to pick on you, as it can be confusing navigating through the various smaller publishers and digital start-ups out there, but a good general rule is that legit publishers don't need to actively solicit stories either by spam or from display sites like Inkitt. They get plenty through agents or open submissions.

Inkitt is not a legitimate or proven "agent", but a display site, or YADS ("Yet Another Display Site"; these things have been around awhile). Wattpad is also a display site, but it has enough audience/community to kinda-sorta work in specific areas (mostly YA, I think?). See Old Hack's posts earlier in this thread for some of the issues with this model, as she knows more than I do.

Inkitt have had major issues with professionalism, communications, privacy, and the like--all documented here, as well as at Writer Beware and Jim C. Hines' blog, among others.

Basically, if you get spam from them, welcome to the online writing world. You can do better. Always aim high with your work.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
Hi Larry, and :welcome:.

There's a thread on Inkitt in AW's Bewares & Background Checks forum, and for good reason. Indeed, they're very good at slick presentation. Almost as good as they are at prolific spamming. Not to pick on you, as it can be confusing navigating through the various smaller publishers and digital start-ups out there, but a good general rule is that legit publishers don't need to actively solicit stories either by spam or from display sites like Inkitt. They get plenty through agents or open submissions.

Inkitt is not a legitimate or proven "agent", but a display site, or YADS ("Yet Another Display Site"; these things have been around awhile). Wattpad is also a display site, but it has enough audience/community to kinda-sorta work in specific areas (mostly YA, I think?). See Old Hack's posts earlier in this thread for some of the issues with this model, as she knows more than I do.

Inkitt have had major issues with professionalism, communications, privacy, and the like--all documented here, as well as at Writer Beware and Jim C. Hines' blog, among others.

Basically, if you get spam from them, welcome to the online writing world. You can do better. Always aim high with your work.

Thanks so much for the insight on that VeryBigBeard. Obviously, I should have looked into it more thoroughly. I saw a recommendation for Inkitt on a writing blog I follow which I've always found reputable. Maybe the blogger didn't check into Inkitt very thoroughly either. Anyway, thanks again for the heads up.

Jayda

Registered
Reaction score

I just looked at this site and had high hopes, but then I tried to post my book and it's way too confusing.