• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Where do you draw the line with Description?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to kind of see this as being a rather objective thing to ask, but where does everyone draw the line between too little, too much, or the "just right" amount of description in a book?

I tend to enjoy deep description of thoughts and feelings and just general descrition of the physical, but it seems that people really have their likings all over the place & I thought this thread might be a useful thing to kind of show people where the majority lies & help people get a better sense of what they feel they should be aiming for, or if their literary style is ok.

Just to be a bit more clear, I don't mind step by step with a person's thoughts as they try to walk themselves through a feeling, situation or puzzle & show how their feelings influence events & how they choose to interact with others at any given moment. However, with the physical, there's no need. When describing someone, I like pointing out facial features, skin type, hair, maybe clothes. I don't need muscle tone, or exact height, or a super detailed description of the multi-colored shading of their eyes, what type & shade of makeup they are wearing. When I'm describing a building or room, vagueness is key. It's a big room. It has white walls. The building's made of brick. Describing an object? It's a standard double edged sword with a black leather grip. It's an idol about the size of the palm of a hand with such & such looking face. Still though, I find if I am counting up multiple minute descriptions of objects in one area, I seem to loose some people.

I just wanted to see what other's think, so... think.

Super Mech Pilot

Registered
Reaction score
lol your question is similar to the one I asked a minute before you! I too was wondering how much of that a reader needs.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone's writing style is different. Some people hate certain writers because they go into too much detail. Some people hate writers that write sparsely without much detail.

In general, though, I tend to think that fantasies, sci-fi, and historical lends itself to more description because you have to explain the world to the readers.

If you're talking about descriptions of people, it's really up to you. Some authors never/rarely describe people; others go into great detail about how their characters look.

I tend to write not enough description. I'm trying to learn some tips by reading authors I admire and noticing how and when they insert description and how much of it there is. The only way I really know whether or not my style works is to have people read my manuscript and tell me. (That and my own gut/feelings.)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
When I'm describing a building or room, vagueness is key.

Maybe you mean "brevity" is the key? Because vagueness in description and word choice is generally an enemy to good writing. Specificity, even very brief specifics, is what provides that "you are there" feeling to the reader.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I guess that was a bad choice in wording, there. The point is, I really only think Physical things need enough description to give you a basic idea, however I think thoughts & emotions should be specific.

Some people like deep physical description ie The Lord of the Rings. Some people prefer toned down thoughts & emotions, thinking it's too preachy, or it's taking them out of the story, or this is WAY too dark for my liking. Personally, I just think too much frivolous physical description takes me out of the story & I just feel like I'm waiting for my flight to be transferred, while heavy internal description, if done well, enhances the story & makes it more vibrant. Go figure.

Super Mech Pilot

Registered
Reaction score
From what your saying and from what I feel when I write I think personal opinions definately factor into this. Seriously I started a thread about describing facial features just seconds before you started this one maybe you should take a look at that one too.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I'm starting to kind of see this as being a rather objective thing to ask, but where does everyone draw the line between too little, too much, or the "just right" amount of description in a book?

I just wanted to see what other's think, so... think.

wherever I stopped telling the story to instead profile the character, room, etc. That's kinda vague and sounds like a cheat, but it isn't....if the MC needs to memorize a character's face in a crowd, that character may get a full paragraph of description. If he's being chased by a guy with a gun, the other guy may not get a single descriptor.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. As someone said it is very subjective. If your story depends on the reader understanding the physical, than you need to go into detail, sci fi and fantasy lend themselves to this type of writing. Often the world needs explanation and brevity won't do.
But if the world is not important than you need not go into all the detail. Same goes for description of internal thoughts. The story should dictate what is needed. Again it depends on your taste in both reading and writing as to what appeals to you. Some adore Stephen King for bis highly descriptive style, others abhor him for it.
My personal opinion, I like the detail. It makes me feel immersed in the scene. I wAnt to see, hear, feel everything the character I'm reading/ writing about does. Without that I feel cheated and the book feels empty.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's too much or too little if I don't like it, and just right if I do like it. I like writers who give minimalist description, and I like writers who give lush, page long descriptions. I'm more concerned with how well than how much.

With my own writing, I just write the way I like it, and it varies with every story, with every POV, and certainly with mood and tone.

MockingBird

Just a fool with a Dream
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the writer, but I think a some sort of picture needs to be drawn. The reader needs to know when the MC is going into a different land or a room. They also need to know what objects are there if the writer plans to use the objects. You can't just have a character sitting on the beach and poof out comes a mirror.

Coeus

Registered
Reaction score
I really prefer sparse description whether it's a description of a location or a character. One of the strengths of the written word is that each reader's imagination adds their own personal touch to the book. When a writer goes all out and describes every last detail I find it to be more of a hindrance than a help.

I've read some books where they'll go on for two or three pages describing the scene and the characters. I'm of the opinion that all of that is very nice, but it's not why I'm reading the book. I'm reading for the plot, the dialogue and the characters. If I wanted something beautiful or intricately detailed, I'd look at a picture.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
When describing someone, I like pointing out facial features, skin type, hair, maybe clothes.

I usually don't describe skin type unless there's a good reason to do so - say, a fantasy where all people with speckled skin belong to a certain race, and it's important for the reader to know that a character is of that race. Or if paleness hints that a person spends most of their time indoors, or has anemia.

I don't need muscle tone, or exact height, or a super detailed description of the multi-colored shading of their eyes

Descriptions like "Her eyes were a perfect clear blue - lighter than the dye on a willow-patterned plate yet deeper than the summer sky" work for me if I'm reading a Judith Krantz novel. Otherwise, she has blue eyes, let's move on.

And I'm fine with books where there's no description at all. Ender's Game, for instance.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I tend to try to cause as detailed as picture a possible with as few words as possible.
Such as:

Musty Kitchen,
A young mother chopping veggies,
Is staring at her daughter tugging at her shirt.

Ink-Smith

Ink Smith Publishing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ink-smith.com
As a rule of thumb I wouldn't describe anything that isn't a part of the story. if it doesn't contribute to the story then leave it out. Tolkien created a mythos for England, an alternate history. up until that point England didn't really have one. he wrote such detail that it was practicably a history book. though it was a work of art at the same time most authors are telling a story not a history and in that case, just tell your story. that doesn't mean be vague or leave out details. it means Write the details that matter. you could write 3 pages on your face but you will only confuse a person that has never seen you, or you can point out a persons "Sharp piercing eyes that miss nothing no matter how well you try to hide it." a few lines like that and the reader knows exactly what he looks like based on his own experience. You do you have to point out his hair, eye, or skin color. the character is more real than ever because the reader created him and put him in your story.

The best way to find your own style is to read over one of your old stories but ignore all the physical details, and see whats missing. do it again and ignore all of the emotional and figurative details, and see what your missing. the things you are missing are the balance you are looking for.

But that's just my opinion.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to be relatively light on description. Very rarely will I write an entire paragraph that is description. I like to make sure the characters are always doing something.

Krystal Heart

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Describing people: I go into meticulous detail of their physical appearance to give the reader a real image of what they look like, so they feel like they're watching a movie, and we know when we watch movies we know what the characters look like, and there are no paper dolls (what I call characters for which physique is not described) walking around, just saying. However I abstain from saying how 'handsome' or 'beautiful' they are. That particular aspect is up for the reader to decide if they find that attractive, but my characters always have love interests, so they are attractive, although I don't have all the characters in the book swooning over that same character because I've head most readers hate that. I don't go into detail of what they're wearing, though. If they're wearing a dress, I say 'She's wearing a strapless, long, red dress', rather than going into the fabric material, buttons, etc, unless I have another character undoing those buttons.

Describing places and rooms. I do describe but I don't go into every last detail. I say the room is red, tiled floor, a queen-sized bed on the center of the room, a nightstand, a closet, and a dresser. I don't go into the details of what's on top of the vanity, if there is one, what clothes are in the closet, what color the dresser is, you know what I'm saying? I'd rather move on to what's happening to that character at the moment or in between those characters as they walked into the room.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
If I think about how much, I'll always end up with way too little. So instead, I'm focusing on what the story needs at that point in time and on quality, getting the five senses in, and a sense of the world in. Rather than edit down, I tend to look for ways to expand it, because I will always start out doing too little and not having enough detail.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've read some books where they'll go on for two or three pages describing the scene and the characters. I'm of the opinion that all of that is very nice, but it's not why I'm reading the book. I'm reading for the plot, the dialogue and the characters. If I wanted something beautiful or intricately detailed, I'd look at a picture.
One of my books on writing technique reminds us that we're storytellers, not interior decorators and that we shouldn't stop the story to indulge in interior decorating.

A general impression of a location and a couple of interesting details should be enough to provide stimulus for a reader's imagination.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I like and write descriptions which are necessary to the story, not just waxing poetic. I want descriptions to enlighten the reader, not dictate to them. So no eye or hair color - unless what the character looks like affects the story, I don't care. Nor do I care if the leaves on the trees are brilliant emerald or murky brown - tell me if it's spring or fall.

Caveat - it also depends on genre, as someone else mentioned. Skimp on descriptions in some genres and your readers will skin you alive (or just not buy any more books).

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
As I am currently working on my first novel, I'm writing it the way I want to. When it comes to beta, if people feel my descriptions are too vague, I'll kick it up a notch.

But right now, I'm keeping it simple. One of my locations, a type of prison, is literally described as "A dark hall with cages stacked as high as the ceiling". I describe things within it as and when they are relevant :)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I think there are too many variables for there to be a blanket rule. Personal taste, style, and genre. What you're writing will determine how much description is important to the story.

I tend to like small details, but I also remember suffering through something hideous in high school that spent 4 pages describing a drawing room.

6gear

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harleytracks.com
Detail description

Non-fiction motorcycle adventure:

1. To another's fault, I crashed my motorcycle, unknowingly fracturing my arm, yet continued to ride four more days.

2. Riding down a remote mountain trail on wet clay, a situation happened where I had to lay the bike down. I was pinned face down, in excruciating pain. Later, someone came by to lift the bike off me, and then disappeared before I could thank him.

The speed of thought is amazing. When I write the details of these two situations, I carry on with laughter for a multiple of paragraphs - a page +/- of word doc.

Are micro-details overstating for such situations?

Thanks

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
it's not so much how much, but how. if you're in the flow when you write it, you'll know when to go and when to stop. but if the main thing on your mind when you write is how many words must i still write today to meet my quota, then it might be a bit of a problem to figure out the right proportions.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
to the op, I would suggest you read "Guilty Pleasures" by L Hamilton, where over-description is unintentional, and/or "Atlanta Nights" by Travis Tea, where it is absolutely intentional. See if it sticks out to you in either case, and if so, you will get a feel for "overdone" and what it does to the flow of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.