Sweaters at Goodwill are infested

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
If Supernatural has taught us anything, it would be that ghosts, not demons are infesting the sweaters.

I'm not sure if I want Pat Robertson to shut up or just keep talking. He's starting to attain some entertainment value.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
And now I know where to donate that box from my late eccentric aunt's basement - the one that seems to be in a different place every time I go down the squeaky wooden stairs with the one bare lightbulb swinging overhead . . .

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
When Pat Robertson reads a Harry Potter book, does he think it's a true story?
I doubt that he'd read one, probably thinking it having been written by a demon.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Better safe than sorry. Always go with the new item handcrafted by a child in a sweatshop somewhere...

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw shoot, and all this time I was washing them in regular water before wearing them. Now how the hell am I going to plumb holy water to my washer?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
So if I write while wearing all Goodwill clothes, is it really ME writing or are my fingers possessed?
I heard from somewhere in my sweater drawer that an ex-Google lawyer was starting a copywrite lawsuit against some prominent writers over this

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Pat is so entertaining. I still wonder if he was just joking.

Leaving aside the demon idea:tongue, being more careful about thrift store stuff is a good thing.

I was a recessionista before the recession. I find amazing things at thrift stores. But I keep all thrift store clothing in tight plastic bags when I bring it home, and treat everything before I bring it in from the garage. Hot water wash and high-heat tumble dry for the items that can tolerate it. Kill-boxes primed with ammonia pads or other toxins that won't harm the materials, but will kill anything living in the fibers. Minimum quarantines for all items, just to monitor them. Strict cleaning afterward to remove any poisons.

Why? I've worked at several thrift stores. I won't scare you with the things I've found in clothing and household items. While most of the big chains prefer that items are cleaned or laundered before donation, it doesn't always happen. Most items go to large processing centers where they are loaded into big crates and bales before being shipped to individual stores. Infestation from one item can quickly spread to others. Smaller local stores may claim to throw out or donate anything that isn't laundered, but it often sits in a back storage room until the donation or trash truck arrives.

So listen to Uncle Pat, just substitute 'critter' for 'demon', and reach for the ammonia instead of the Bible.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Better yet, can I PUT demons in the things I donate? I'm sure there are some around my house going spare. I could stick them in the old clothes and books before I drop them off.

That would be an AWESOME public service.

Are donated demons tax deductible?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Demons would never posses shirts.

That kind of long term thinking and planning isn't in their alignment (chaotic evil).

This is a devil sort of thing. Those guys would be just the sort to play the long game, as they are lawful evil...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...I find amazing things at thrift stores. But I keep all thrift store clothing in tight plastic bags when I bring it home, and treat everything before I bring it in from the garage. Hot water wash and high-heat tumble dry for the items that can tolerate it. Kill-boxes primed with ammonia pads or other toxins that won't harm the materials, but will kill anything living in the fibers. Minimum quarantines for all items, just to monitor them. Strict cleaning afterward to remove any poisons...
Sorry for the derail, but as a devout thrift store shopper (who does hot wash and dry washables which can take it), can you give us specifics about the kill box and ammonia pads? Are they just old towels soaked in ammonia? How many in a good-sized Rubbermaid tub? How do you keep the wet ammonia off the contents to let the fumes do their stuff?

Maryn, eying her closet with fresh distrust

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the derail, but as a devout thrift store shopper (who does hot wash and dry washables which can take it), can you give us specifics about the kill box and ammonia pads? Are they just old towels soaked in ammonia? How many in a good-sized Rubbermaid tub? How do you keep the wet ammonia off the contents to let the fumes do their stuff?

Maryn, eying her closet with fresh distrust
...and what do you do with the demons once you've killed them?

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
...and what do you do with the demons once you've killed them?

Eat them.

(I really had nothing to add. It was just the first thing that popped up in my head.)

If there are demons in sweaters at Goodwill, maybe I should go buy some and ask them their experiences as demons so I can write an authentic one in my stories.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Won't putting the clothes in the freezer for 48 hours do the job too?

The son of a friend of mine played the part of a Wise Man in his junior school's Christmas concert and started itching soon after. It turned out the Church's costumes were infested with scabies mites. I think I'd prefer a demon or two.

Cavalcade

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Possessions take on the energy/aura of their owner. The sensitive can feel this immediately. For this reason, I've always avoided buying anything used.

Last edited:

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Eat them.

(I really had nothing to add. It was just the first thing that popped up in my head.)

If there are demons in sweaters at Goodwill, maybe I should go buy some and ask them their experiences as demons so I can write an authentic one in my stories.

That kinda talk earns you one exorcism.

It is the Power Of Haggis that Binds you.

It is Maryn's everchanging sig that Commands you.

It is McAllister's 9 inch stilleto heels that Compels you.