Current novels: written by men?

randywrite

MySky
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm trying to find some contemporary fiction novels that were written by men. I love the lady writers, it's just that I've read several female authors in a row now and want to get back in touch with my masculine side...lol. So if you know any male authors that are current, I'd love to hear your suggestions. You could suggest an author or a book. I'm easy to please. :)

Thanks a bunch.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
Neal Stephenson and Douglas Coupland are my two favourite living writers. All their stuff is good if you haven't read any :)

randywrite

MySky
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thx, clee, I'll check them out. :) Yep, there are so many good authors out there male and female, that it's overkill....makes it hard to choose.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i liked Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by...some guy... and Ready Player One by...some other guy. Patrick Ness wrote a great upper YA trilogy I highly recommend. Some other gory adult pleasing YA books are The Monstrumologist series and The Marbury Lens series. All manly man books written by men.

randywrite

MySky
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i liked Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by...some guy... and Ready Player One by...some other guy. Patrick Ness wrote a great upper YA trilogy I highly recommend. Some other gory adult pleasing YA books are The Monstrumologist series and The Marbury Lens series. All manly man books written by men.

LOL! Thanks for the rec's though. :)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Two dysfunctional family books by men that I've read this year and enjoyed:

This Is Where I Leave You - Jonathan Tropper
The Family Fang - Kevin Wilson

I liked the first better than the second, though the second is very funny.

I also second Kitty's rec for Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Robin Sloan).

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how I forgot about this one!

Beautiful Ruins - Jess Walter

Maybe the best book I read last year.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Peter Lefcourt, though especially The Dreyfus Affair.

randywrite

MySky
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sweet! Thanks for all these nice rec's. :)

Beautiful Ruins - Jess Walter

Maybe the best book I read last year.

This a very intriguing statement you've made about this good book. Would you mind elaborating a little on the premise? :D

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
The Agent Pendergast books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, featuring a brilliant, rich, and bone-chillingly eccentric FBI agent as the lead. Kind of a horror/noir, they're very addictive.

Anything by Robert Crais, Elmore Leonard, or James Lee Burke.

And anything by, well .... modesty forbids me. :D

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed Tom Perrotta's first three novels -- The Wishbones, Election, and Joe College -- so I'll recommend 'em here.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm trying to find some contemporary fiction novels that were written by men. I love the lady writers, it's just that I've read several female authors in a row now and want to get back in touch with my masculine side...lol. So if you know any male authors that are current, I'd love to hear your suggestions. You could suggest an author or a book. I'm easy to please. :)

Thanks a bunch.

I'm pretty manly....

*scratches sack

recently I read "Dead Silver, "The Cormorant," "Lolita," "Every Shallow Cut" and "A Choir of Ill Children," and "Red Leaves." All by men, mostly because they are superior writers to women (*runs)

I'm too lazy to look up the authors, I believe any are searchable on Amazon easily, but they were all by men. The Cormorant would be my vote for creepy, if you just want a gut-wrencher the vote goes to "Red Leaves" and "Every Shallow Cut" for testosterone-angst.

randywrite

MySky
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your generous suggestions. I will google all of them and see what I feel on a spiritual level: then pick 1 or several. Damn, Quick, look at your post count! You're going crazy up in here. :D

randywrite

MySky
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PS: doesn't this thread make you want to act like a pirate?! lol

randywrite

MySky
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your input, and anyone else feel free to add to the list. ;)

charmedhorses

Registered
Reaction score
I think the last thing I read by a man was SWEET TOOTH by Ian McEwan. It's from a female point of view though. Before that, I read AN IRISH COUNTRY DOCTOR by Patrick Taylor. That one's part of a well-written, light-hearted series, though I didn't find myself particularly invested in the characters.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, so you want manly-man writers? Who are also good? And maybe something not YA?

Cormac McCarthy
John Le Carre
Stuart Neville
Elmore Leonard
William Faulkner

Should be more than enough testosterone.

Now if you want serious dick lit, add Philip Roth, John Banville, Vladimir Nabakov, J.M. Coetzee, John Updike, and Norman Mailer.

Toss Ian Fleming and Trevanian on the pile for your genre peen fix.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
John Green is a YA author that I've enjoyed quite a lot. Michael Chabon, Cormac McCarthy, and I've been selectively happy with Jeffrey Deaver's "Lincoln Rhyme" novels. Cody McFadyen, Thomas Harris (At least for Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs.) Neil Gaiman (American Gods and the Sandman series). Stephen King pre-2001 or so.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Just to toss out a couple of names of contemporary authors I quite admire, how about Joe Lansdale and James Carlos Blake. Oh yeah, and Bradley Denton. Joe's protagonists are split between men & women (and adults & kids), but macho antics are often on display. Blake's work makes Blood Meridian look like The Wizard of Oz. Brad wrote Blackburn, about a philosophical serial killer.

Two other guys who I look up to and enjoy are Neal Barrett Jr. and Howard Waldrop. They're still kicking, so get out and enjoy 'em. You can find much guyish (and girlish) fun in their oeuvres.

kutase

Registered
Reaction score
One of the most underrated books - The Human Bobby by Gabe Rotter! (Totally not something I'd have picked based on the title or the cover picture, but i read it based on other blogger reviews and I really enjoyed it. Haven't read other books by this author yet and look forward to reading more.

Children of Paranoia (Children of Paranoia #1) by Trevor Shane. Haven't read #2 yet.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman - YA. 2nd book has also come out and awaiting the 3rd.

I love reading murder/mystery, so I second Jeffrey Deaver's "Lincoln Rhyme" series. I'd probably start from the beginning (I think It's The Bone Collector?! Can't remember.)

This is translated, but I also enjoyed The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to second Cormac McCarthy -- but be warned, it's not feel-good stuff, and he writes it so perfectly that you might want to have an antidote handy.

Like Phillip Roth!