Black Mirror

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Charlie Brooker's anthology series, not the game.

Anyone see S1 or S2 (currently in progress)? Any thoughts?

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I've watched the Series 2 episodes, and I caught up with 2 episodes of the 1st series OnDemand this afternoon. Very twisted.

(I loved the graphic designer's easel in 'Be Right Back'. When I was first watching the episode, I thought, 'It's amazing what they can invent these days,' and wondered how much one would cost, lol.)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have watched the first two episodes and I'm hooked, this is the best science fiction anthology show I have seen in ages. I don't want to watch it all since I know I will end up cracing for me.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
A friend had season 1 and season 2 on DVD. Not sure how he got it as when I tried to find it on Amazon, they were only available on non-USA format.

But, watched season 1 and the first episode of season 2. Holy cow. I feel like I need a hug after watching these!

Amazing writing, though. Compelling and truly creepy.

knporter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knporter.blogspot.com
The first episode of season one was great and then I watched the second episode and was bored by it. I hope the rest follows the first episode.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
The 2nd one is slow in season 1, but I really liked that one. A LOT. That said, #3 in season 1 is really intense. Apparently, Robert Downey Jr. bought the film rights for S1E3 . . . beating out George Clooney.

Episode #2 in season 2 (White Bear) was very traumatic. Seriously. I am still thinking about it after a few weeks. I'm not sure if they'll be able to show all of that episode in the U.S. (DirecTV is going to air it at some point).

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
What, no love for Black Mirror?

Couldn't find a thread on this anthology show anywhere. It's a short season BBC anthology show that I stumbled across on Netflix (Netflix has 2 seasons on streaming, though it seems I was too late to catch season 3 on TV).

It's science fiction and social commentary all rolled into one entertaining package. And one of the things I like about it is that as the end credits roll, you actually get more story.

There's only about 3 episodes a season, so you can blow through the series fairly quick if so inclined.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Black Mirror is my current favorite show. It blew my mind ever since the first episode and I haven't seen two episodes yet just to keep the taste around since I don't want to be over.

As someone who grew up and was somewhat influenced by The Twilight Zone in its writing, this is a proper modern day equivalent. The fact is more focused on quality over quantity enhances the whole experience.

Charlie Brooker is my shepherd; I shall not want.

hefronica

Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread on this anthology show anywhere. It's a short season BBC anthology show that I stumbled across on Netflix (Netflix has 2 seasons on streaming, though it seems I was too late to catch season 3 on TV).

There is no season 3 yet. They aired the Christmas special (which seems to be a British thing to do as I've seen Christmas specials for Downton Abbey, The Office & Blackadder) on DirecTV here in US. I don't have DirecTV. :(

I had seen a blurb about Black Mirror in Entertainment Weekly a year or two back (they specifically recommended 'The Entire History of You') and always remembered it. So when it showed up on Netflix I watched it. Was not disappointed.

The first episode...holy crap. I literally woke up in the middle of the night and was still thinking about it. It just disturbed me so much, and that's not entirely a bad thing! The only episode that didn't leave me disturbed and pondering and wondering was the last one about the blue bear.

And I just love seeing all these British actors I recognize pop up in (nearly) every episode. :D

Great show. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to see the darkest places technology can take us. That is, as long as you can get past the pig.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, really enjoyed this series. Disturbing narratives. So dark. The only one that I felt wasn't quite as good was the Waldo episode. Just felt like a weird story to end the season on.

White Bear really floored me. Out of all of them, that one is the hardest to rewatch.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, really enjoyed this series. Disturbing narratives. So dark. The only one that I felt wasn't quite as good was the Waldo episode. Just felt like a weird story to end the season on.

White Bear really floored me. Out of all of them, that one is the hardest to rewatch.

I don't know why but Fifteen Million Merits really got to me. I loved most of them, but that one and The Entire History of You are the 2 that have stuck with me the most. I wasn't a fan of Waldo, either. And the White Bear episode, while extremely disturbing, didn't seem to dig in and take hold as much as the other 2 I mentioned.

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Waldo felt too forced to me. Especially that ending. I agree that "15 Million Merits" is not only one of the best episodes but one of the best original Dystopian fiction in the last 10 years.

Anyone else saw the Christmas special?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I loved 15 million credits. I'd say that's my second favorite. If I had to rank:

1. White Bear
2. 15 Million Credits
3. The Entire History of You

(These three really are so close)

4. Be Right Back
5. The National Anthem
6. Waldo

I have not seen the Christmas episode. I heard that DirecTV was supposed to air it on their "AUD" channel, but I haven't been paying much attention. I love Jon Hamm, though.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Waldo felt too forced to me. Especially that ending. I agree that "15 Million Merits" is not only one of the best episodes but one of the best original Dystopian fiction in the last 10 years.

Anyone else saw the Christmas special?

I've seen it. Very well done. Good script. However I knew what was happening the moment he revealed his job. My gf was less than impressed with me calling the 2nd part of the episode out loud... I should learn to keep quiet.

I love the show.

But I find it highly disturbing as in it actually to a certain extent freaks me out. I do think humanity would capable of doing most things and that's what's freaky about it.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
There is no season 3 yet. They aired the Christmas special (which seems to be a British thing to do as I've seen Christmas specials for Downton Abbey, The Office & Blackadder) on DirecTV here in US. I don't have DirecTV. :(

Thought I saw a S3 listed on IMDB and thought I'd missed it on TV. I see now that was the Christmas Special you referred to. Hope it's as good as the rest of the episodes.

Maxmordon: I too thought of the Twilight Zone after seeing Black Mirror. I think BM may be the closest TV has come to TZ's blend of excellent writing, social commentary and SF since TZ's airing (original series).

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I thought the Christmas special was one of the better ones.

My top three would be:

1) White Bear
2) White Christmas
3) Be Right Back*

*That was the first Black Mirror episode I watched (I've watched series 1 since then) and I really didn't know what to expect. I was really impressed with the bit of kit Martha had for her graphic design stuff (I think that was what it was anyway - it's been a while since I've watched it) and thought I'd been really out of the loop technology-wise if they were able to do that kind of fancy stuff nowadays, lol. Obviously I knew the recreation of Ash through his online communications was part of the future depicted, but I failed to twig about the board/monitor/touchscreen thing (not sure what it would be called and I'm having a hard job remembering what it looked like now) being part of that at first. I was quite gutted when I found out it didn't actually exist - it looked really cool, lol! :D

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Black Mirror.

A collegue of mine tipped me off on this show. First season aired back in 2011. I couldn't find an existing thread, so I thought I'd start this one.

The show is about the cost that comes with our use of modern technology, but takes it a bit further. We get a peak of things that have not yet come to pass, but are likely to exist, in some form or another, within a couple of decades.

The show is both exciting and harrowing and I literally did not dare to watch more than one episode each night. It is thought-provoking, well written, well acted and I absolutely love it.

Thoughts?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've watched all three seasons. My reactions to them are somewhat like:

60% seem brilliant explorations of technology and human foibles. (Example: The 3rd season episode "Nosedive", or 2nd season "White Bear".) Some of these make me cringe. (Example: The 1st season "Fifteen Million Merits".) The show's extrapolations about near-future technology improvements is often very well-done and plausible. I really appreciate how the series doesn't whack us over the head with the tech that people in the show take for granted; it just shows us.

20% make me cringe hard, and I have trouble finishing them. (Example: The 1st season episode "The National Anthem".)

20% make me go, what?? Some of these make me cringe.

;)

Because the ones that seem brilliant done are often so well done, I'll keep watching. And cringing.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I've watched all three seasons.

Because the ones that seem brilliant done are often so well done, I'll keep watching. And cringing.
Was elated and scared that you said there are 3 seasons. On further investigation Netflix in the US released as 2.

Yes - there are many cringes. So many.

I really liked Hated in the nation. It felt like a mid season episode of any good crime drama.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was elated and scared that you said there are 3 seasons. On further investigation Netflix in the US released as 2.

Hmm. Netflix in the US organizes them (now, anyway) as 3 seasons, but seasons 1 and 2 are rather abnormally short for a series (3 and 4 episodes each -- the "Xmas special" is lumped in with the 2nd season). Now that Netflix is producing them, perhaps we'll get them more regularly?