BEST SMALL PRESSES

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a thread that lists the best small presses? Or at least the good experiences of authors who've signed with small presses and are happy with them?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not really, because one person's 'best' is another person's 'disaster'. It's why each press has its own thread.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, there isn't. Not really.

A publisher which is good for one book might not be good for another, so it's not possible to create such a list.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I know it would be nice to make the search easier, but it's what suits you best, as Old Hack and Unimportant says.

There's a few sites to help with the search like AgentQuery, P&E, Duotrope (although I think you have to pay now.) You can use some of the Publisher's Marketplace site too, but you'll need to be a paying member of that too if you want more.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
The easiest way to find a good small press for you and your book is to submit to the small press whose books you enjoy reading.

This is true with any press, really. If you've never read their books they're not where you should be submitting, and if you don't like their books or find them flawed--grammar, punctuation, layout, writing and story in general, cover art, etc.--then they're definitely not a house to be considered.

WolfeMama

Registered
Reaction score
If you have a small press you have your eye on, ask a few of the authors there their thoughts.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Moving this to Networking, where resides the "Favorite and Profitable Small Presses in SF&F" sticky. If that's not your genre, feel free to start a new thread for it.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Is there a thread that lists the best small presses? Or at least the good experiences of authors who've signed with small presses and are happy with them?

What do you write, Haunted? We can probably give you some suggestions if you give us a bit more information about what you write.

Status
Not open for further replies.