Running out of markets

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I have 30-something submissions out right now at pretty much all the places I would hope to be published. Writing a story a week last year and doing the same this year has me running out of markets. And I don't even have all my stuff out because I already have something else at the places I want to send new stuff. I don't care as much about the pay scale as I do the reputation of the journal. I write literary.

So what do you do when you run out of markets? How do you decide what stays is circulation and what goes to make room for a new story?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone who only lurks occasionally chime in?

If you've got a great many stories completed and polished, then you have probably got some which you know are better than others. Cull the weaker ones from those in circulation.

If you don't know which are the weaker ones, then you need to step back from a portion of them (maybe a third?), not looking at them for the weeks or months it takes for you to view them as a reader rather than the author. At that time, you should be able to sort them into three groups--the very best of the lot, pretty decent, and not so good. If you still can't, put them away again for twice as long.

Maryn, who's got dozens of stories which are not good enough to sub

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few markets I like *way* more than most others. Therefore, there is often a queue of stories I would like to send to them. I may hold a story for an extra month or two until I no longer have something else on submission at that market, so that I can try them with it first.

Otherwise, what Maryn said. Cut the earlier stuff that's been around the block. If it hasn't sold to the first 10-20 markets you sent it to it probably won't to the next one. I'm not saying it has no chance of selling -- there are plenty of instances where I've sold a story after 20+ rejections -- but I'd prioritize them lower than your most recent (and hopefully better, as we all improve with time) stuff.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
I mostly lurk in W1S1 so I don't know if it's a verboten topic, but if you have short stories and have run out of markets to submit to, why not post it for sale as a ebook?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
If you can't find an editor who likes your story enough to publish it, it's unlikely the public will like it either. If someone's first experience with your writing is unsatisfactory they most likely won't even try your next (better) work.

By now you should have plenty of other stories. Try selling them.

Remember Neil Gaiman's rule for how to have a good career: "Never publish anything bad."

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
Good thoughts, thanks for sharing them. On the other side of the coin, there are way more readers than there are market editors. I have to believe it's impossible that the collective opinion of a relative handful of editors reflects the opinion of the global reading market.

Probably a topic for another thread, though.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Good thoughts, thanks for sharing them. On the other side of the coin, there are way more readers than there are market editors. I have to believe it's impossible that the collective opinion of a relative handful of editors reflects the opinion of the global reading market.

Probably a topic for another thread, though.

Yes, I will bite my tongue and wait for the new thread to be posted ;)

Re Gettingby: I think you should start writing novellas and novels to slow yourself down a bit :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, Melinda, but I really only want to write short stories right now. I like writing one every week. Slowing down is not on the agenda. :)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, Melinda, but I really only want to write short stories right now. I like writing one every week. Slowing down is not on the agenda. :)

Then speed it up...one novella a week. It will open whole new markets for you. Ready, set, go :)

I hope I'm not offending you...there has to be fun somewhere :)

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I know the feeling, GettingBy, I had 44 out there flapping in the wind. Working on the stories left behind is a good idea, but I did something different. I changed genre's; moving into flash fiction, kicking and screaming. And while I was crafting and perfecting a 195 word story and then submitting to flash fiction markets, new literary fiction markets opened up. And ...my flash fiction was published and I developed a following. Just my experience.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Once upon a time, I was writing at this rate as well. And my stories were languishing in nowheresville. Then I slowed down, let the stories sit for a while before I came back to them for editing, sent them to multiple beta readers before editing a final time and THEN submitting. So even if the first draft was done in a week, that story won't go out on sub until three-four weeks later. And guess what? Those stories started selling. I'm not saying you have to slow down the amount you are pumping out, but maybe give some time before submitting. Granted, you may already be doing this, and if so, just tell me to hush up. :)