• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Inklings Literary Agency, LLC

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Taking my second bite at this apple...because I am a masochist!

ETA (Oct. 18, 2016): I withdrew my query to accept an offer of rep elsewhere.

Last edited:

PandaNinja

Panda loves ninjas~
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone knows anything at all about Whitley Abell at this agency? She appears to be brand new to agenting, and I can't find a single relevant thing about her on Google. I mean, she does pop up in searches, but mostly, anything with her name on it is some slight variation from her profile page on the Inklings website.

Also, I gather she's so new, even her Inklings page says she's not taking queries just yet, even though she's been requesting them through a Twitter pitch party today...

Anyway, I'm all for supporting new agents and whatnot--we've all got to start somewhere, right? And, assuming said new agents are working under the wing of their more experienced, senior colleagues, that's all fine and dandy... Still, it would be nice to know something about someone before approaching them, whether or not they've requested the query via a conference, Twitter or whatever....

So... Anyone know anything about Ms. Abell???

Thanks in advance!

I was curious as well, considering she requested material from me during a pitch party on Twitter recently. I have did my own research, but I'm curious of any clients, sales, etc.

captaincrow

Registered
Reaction score
I saw their #OwnVoices Initiative on their website and they openly request fulls on every #OwnVoices manuscript/writer. They say that it only counts as #OwnVoices if the writer and character share at least one aspect of a marginalised identity, and that if we're not sure if it fits we should shoot them a message. That's what I did, asking if it still counts as #OwnVoices for them if I'm gay but my MC is ace/aro. They replied by telling me that I should share at least one aspect of a marginalised identity with my character. Like, yeah, thanks, that I know.

I don't know, I'm not feeling this agency. :e2shrug:

Michelle L Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
I saw their #OwnVoices Initiative on their website and they openly request fulls on every #OwnVoices manuscript/writer. They say that it only counts as #OwnVoices if the writer and character share at least one aspect of a marginalised identity, and that if we're not sure if it fits we should shoot them a message. That's what I did, asking if it still counts as #OwnVoices for them if I'm gay but my MC is ace/aro. They replied by telling me that I should share at least one aspect of a marginalised identity with my character.

Hi captaincrow,

Someone forwarded me a screenshot of your comment so I wanted to come on and clarify the #OV Initiative for you, since that feedback you got didn't seem terribly clear.

I think that since both you and your MC are in the LGBTQ spectrum, and would likely be facing at least some similar issues in dealing with society in general, then yes, I would accept your manuscript into the #OVI.

The OVI is set up so that you are still querying looking for representation, but you do so with a full manuscript, and even if you are passed over for representation, you receive a full report on the issues we felt were holding the manuscript back. This is in hopes of giving marginalized voices a higher chance at success in breaking down that traditional publishing house door.

Of course, it is still querying looking for representation, so if you're not interested in being represented by the agency, it would be worth considering not submitting your project for consideration.

I hope this helps, and whatever you decide I wish you all the best with your journey, and thank you for bringing a voice to a very much marginalized segment of our society.

~Michelle

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying, Michelle! I would never have guessed that I would qualify for anything #ownvoices with my m/m romance, even though I am on the LGBTQ+ spectrum myself. We appreciate it here at AW :e2flowers

fab_MR

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I queried Whitley Abell on April 6th, after she liked my AdPit pitch. No reply so far. Others have posted a similar lack of feedback. There is no time frame posted on Bond's submission guidelines or anywhere else on their site. I'm new to querying. When is it considered appropriate to nudge?
Thanks!
Fab

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The agency recently closed to queries, I assume to catch up on the ones they have.

*almost never nudges on queries*

The website says:

Our response time varies for queries, but the general response time is within 3 months for queries, and 4 months for manuscripts.

If you have not received an answer for your query after 3 months, it will be considered a rejection (either a request for manuscript or rejection). We'd like to take the time to respond to each and every query, but doing so creates longer and longer wait times.

For full manuscript requests, if you have not heard from the requesting agent by the end of four months, please follow up.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Whitley Abel with a YA Historical on 29.06, just before they closed to unsolicited subs. I'll report back if I hear back.

writer1709

Registered
Reaction score
I've had pitches favorited by Whitney. But I'm very skeptical of this agency. An agent is not an overnight job. You spend two -five years as an apprentice before you are allowed to start taking on a few clients. I have yet to see several commercial sale from this agency. So far Whitley made sales to Entangled Teen in which the author does not need an agent they could have approached the publisher herself. It baffles me when I see writers sign with little known agents. Look at where they interned. Look at their sales records. I do think it is worth the wait holding off on these agents until we see they have a more reputable sales record.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a 'Pass' from Whitley Abel for my query of June 29th (right before she closed to subs). She tweeted yesterday that she'd 'Requested. All. The. Things.' and that she had tons of fulls to read. I think she said something like 43. No form rejection but I'm marking it off my spreadsheet.

captaincrow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi captaincrow,

Someone forwarded me a screenshot of your comment so I wanted to come on and clarify the #OV Initiative for you, since that feedback you got didn't seem terribly clear.

I think that since both you and your MC are in the LGBTQ spectrum, and would likely be facing at least some similar issues in dealing with society in general, then yes, I would accept your manuscript into the #OVI.

The OVI is set up so that you are still querying looking for representation, but you do so with a full manuscript, and even if you are passed over for representation, you receive a full report on the issues we felt were holding the manuscript back. This is in hopes of giving marginalized voices a higher chance at success in breaking down that traditional publishing house door.

Of course, it is still querying looking for representation, so if you're not interested in being represented by the agency, it would be worth considering not submitting your project for consideration.

I hope this helps, and whatever you decide I wish you all the best with your journey, and thank you for bringing a voice to a very much marginalized segment of our society.

~Michelle

This has nothing to do with the agency itself and it's probably just in the way and not at all helpfu, but I just wanted to apologise that I just kinda vanished and never got back to this. I was in a very bad place at that time and everything in my life went downhill--I'm dang fine right now, so that's all cool, just wanted to say that I very much appreciate that someone replied to this and gave an explanation, though it's probably a little too late now. The novel got trunked anyway, which is okay, because I truly love what I'm working on right now and it's even more diverse than the project I originally queried. (And this time it's really Own Voices, LOL.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Their website is suspended. Anyone have any news about the agency? Are they in trouble or just having website issues?

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Their website is suspended. Anyone have any news about the agency? Are they in trouble or just having website issues?

I noticed this today, too. I don't want to speculate, but one of their agents had requested some chapters from me, and she emailed to tell me she really enjoyed them but was moving to another agency, so she would keep me on file. Don't know if that says anything about the agency as a whole or just the one agent. Thought it was interesting that the site was down at the same time, though.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Website is working now....

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Associates bailed, PM page gone, no activity on site or TW/FB since '17 ... anyone have recent contact?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Michelle Johnson last September. CNR. At some point last fall I made a note that they looked sketchy but did not provide details to myself about it. It could simply be that they seemed inactive on FB/TW and their agents moving elsewhere, as said above.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I sent to the #OwnVoicesInitiative right after Michelle Johnson posted about it here back in 2017. IIRC, it was for feedback, not an actual submission, and they promised to get back to everybody, but they never did for me.

I note that their website was suspended back in Feb 2018. Don't know if that ever was resolved.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Per QueryTracker, it appears the agency has been closed to queries since 2017.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to say too much because it isn't my place, but Michelle Johnson (the owner/founder) became very seriously ill in 2017 and still isn't recovered. The associates kept things going for a while but eventually had to move on for the good of their clients. So the agency is effectively closed.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That explains a lot. Thanks, Earthling.