They say riding is the art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. Well wtf is this??? Pic

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They say riding is the art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. I wonder if 'they' ever had a horse face-plant on them. On the flat. With a photographer at hand.

8433076839_7527f1d9a4_b.jpg

Horse and rider got up and walked away from this. My horse was a hair stunned, I was a hair stunned, but I jumped up and helped him up (not physically of course. I reassured him, tried to keep him down, then held his reins out of the way and kept talking to him).

He'd fallen toward his right side, as you can see, but somehow got a lot of gravel in his left eye. After flushing it, washing him and the tack, and letting him dry some, I got back on bareback and rode a little in all three gaits, both directions.

I didn't get crushed, I didn't hit my head, but I did jolt my spine/neck hard enough to get a good sized headache. Riding again helped a little with the stiffness, but not for long.

Two hours later, when the photographer said she HAD caught the fall on 'film' I looked at the pic and almost started shaking. These kinds of epic falls are usually reserved for jumpers and eventers. And you'll notice only his face is touching the ground in the instant the photo was snapped.

Dressage horses aren't supposed to trip over their own feet, even if they do hit a soft spot in the mud. Poor horse. He was fine the next day too, but I gave him some belated NSAIDs anyways.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tremors.

Actually, there was a soft spot. You can see how muddy it is. Initially he just stumbled, but I think he hit a second soft spot because he just collapsed from under me.

He didn't panic- he was too stunned. It took him a second to do anything but lift his head.

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
Oh, my! Glad you are both ok after that spill!
Yes, I have seen a dressage horse take a tumble before, a Grand Prix one at that. It happens. What a crazy photo!
You've got nerves of steel hopping back on immediately after that!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been pinned and crushed before (and then the horse flipped and started thrashing at my head, knocking my helmet clear off :eek:) so a lot of stuff went through my head as we fell but was soon overridden by 'Get clear get clear get clear don'tgetyourlegpinned' which I managed pretty well. Unconsciously I twisted over 90 degrees with my shoulders and nearly 180 with my hips, thus landing shoulder-back-ass (and getting very muddy). Didn't get more than a few specks of mud on my helmet, thus showing I saved my head (Still: WEAR A F-CKING HELMET! We were trotting slow then BAM!)

So yeah, once I was able to get my horse cleaned up, I was a little worried about another freak fall, but totally confident in myself and my horse.

We staid the heck away from the soft spot though.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! So glad you're both okay. That must have been such a scary moment!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Whew! Oh, the possibilities! I'm so glad you and your horse are okay though.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! Glad the two of you are okay.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers folks :)

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I ride western, and have taken a few falls. I always worried more about the horse than myself. I had a stunt guy teach me how to fall properly off a horse so I wouldn't get hurt, and those lessons did come in handy at times. But when its unexpected, you just sort of react and try to get out of the way.

I had a friend go down with her horse jumping a hedge that was not a hedge but a barb wire fence covered in Ivy. I had to cut both the horse and rider free of the wire while someone laid on the horse's neck and kept soothing her. The friend was lucky I carried wire cutters in my saddle bags that day. Don't know what we would have done had I not had those wire cutter as we were miles from the farm. I carried the wire cutters all the time after that, as well as rope...

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Very glad you're okay - and that the horse is okay, too! I've been there... last helmet I threw out was because I cracked it in half down the back. Not the safest sport. Worth it, though!

HatTrick

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you are both okay. Also, that is a beautiful horse, even all crumpled up like that.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Wow Fenika, so glad you're both ok! What a crazy picture too.

I think the worst fall I ever took was because I was an inexperienced rider on a lazy horse (we used to call him JellyBelly. Sweet guy though, I miss him). He got up to a trot then decided he'd rather buck me off than go any faster. It happened so fast I don't even remember it, but I'm told I tucked and rolled beautifully. Probably all those years of gymnastics training (seriously a great companion sport to riding IMO).

I miss riding, even that painful parts.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
my sister once got stomped on by a horse - they had "border horses" in her paddock and one had a thing on his ear she was looking at. He startled, she got pinned against the paddock wall then fell and the horse went up and down on her head.

She didn't go to the doctor, no insurance, but she definitely had a concussion.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I checked - that horse is still definitely between you and the ground... :Hug2:

:Hug2: to horse, as well. I'm glad you're both fine.

I suppose it would be too much to hope that you went on to win...?

;)

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bloody hell, Fenika. And to think I switched to dressage to avoid stuff like that when I was still riding. :Wha:

Glad you're both ok.

Mr Firedrake came a cropper at the beginning of December. He was riding a young (yearling) horse. It took fright at something, leapt off the gallop onto an embankment, reared up and fell over, landing on Mr FD. He was off work for over a week. Luckily nothing broken but he had a hellacious bruise on the inside of his thigh. If he hadn't been wearing his back protector (required by law in his job) things might've ended a little differently.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, here be horse people. We all have so many horror stories ;)

:Hug2: for all the past ouchies.

my sister once got stomped on by a horse - they had "border horses" in her paddock and one had a thing on his ear she was looking at. He startled, she got pinned against the paddock wall then fell and the horse went up and down on her head.

She didn't go to the doctor, no insurance, but she definitely had a concussion.

:eek: That's really bad. I had a horse slam me against a fence in a paddock. The owner knew something might happen but we were both surprised. Horses are dangerous beasts sometimes.

I checked - that horse is still definitely between you and the ground... :Hug2:

:Hug2: to horse, as well. I'm glad you're both fine.

I suppose it would be too much to hope that you went on to win...?

;)

Hehe, I was waiting for someone to mention that technicallity ;)

We were just training- trying to practice our 20m circles in a 15m wide arena :) We are going to a dressage clinic tomorrow. He is spending the night there and the show is Sunday. I am hoping for high scores after all the prep work.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I see you have a hand full of mane, but no reins in your hands...

I was always taught to keep hold of the reigns if possible...

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I was so glad I had time to regather the reins before he tangles in them. And just for the record, I wasn't grabbing mane but apparently looking for something to brace on. Sadly there wasn't much support to be found :)

I remember sitting back and lifting the reins a little when he first stumbled. I don't remember what the hell my hands were doing once he started going down. ;) Falling is so funny in terms of memory and freezing bits of time. I thought I was headed more right-wards from the start, but the pic shows otherwise.

I need to wear my riding vest more :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see you have a hand full of main, but no reigns in your hands...

if possible...

I don't think that's a handful of mane, to be fair. It looks more like the mane has just had part of the hand slide under it.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So glad you're both ok, Fen. :Hug2:

Not that I want to brag, or anything, but I fell like that once. Though no horses were involved.

:roll: