Not open for further replies.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
So my trusty old Logitech wireless mouse has finally died and the keyboard I have has always been rubbish, so it's time for an upgrade.
Anyone have any advice? It's going to be used for writing, gaming and general web browsing. I don't mind spending a little extra if it gets me something that's going to last, or be demonstrably better.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Can't offer you advice on higher spec models (so maybe I shouldn't be posting in this thread!), but I'm happily using a £3 USB wired mouse and a £5 USB keyboard bought from the local Morrisons supermarket. If and when they die, I'll throw 'em away without a second thought and buy equally cheap replacements.

-Derek

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
The perfect mouse and keyboard is very much a personal thing, so try some out to see what works for you.

I currently use a Logitech or Microsoft 'Curve' keyboard, but these styles bug me because the keyboard shape feels unlike what I'm used to. Ideally I'd like a backlit full-size recentangular keyboard with chiclet keys but I haven't ran into a decently-priced one that matches those specs so far.

I use this Logitech mouse -- it's simple, has adjustable DPI and scroll, it's reasonably cheap and it handles gaming well. Logitech's customer support are friendly too.

I've tried out some Razer and Bitfenix mice with adjustable weights and macros. They're nice quality pieces of kit, but they feel a bit overcomplicated and expensive for my tastes. All I need is a decent DPI range for gaming.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think any of them last quite as long as they used to.

I use a newer model Logitech mouse and keyboard. The mouse is just fine except I have to replace the battery sooner than they estimate, and the keyboard feels just a bit cheap (most of them do now), but it's okay. It's certainly better than the keyboard that came with the Dell--that one really was cheap.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Mice? Ah... G400? (What Emaree rec). It's loved well. Just don't put it up to your ear.

I have a Logitech MX Performance (got it from a friend). One of the shittiest things I've ever used. Have to charge it every other day. Wireless bugs out randomly. The chrome is wearing away.
I miss my old Microsoft wireless mouse. It had horrible ergonomics, but lasts for half a year on the same batteries.

For keyboards... if you have disposable income, you could pick up a mechanical keyboard.
IBM Model M (Buckling Springs) is just about the best one you can get. Around $50 on ebay.
I have a dasKeyboard (ultimate, which is with blank keys). I love it to death and bought it because I was wearing through cheapy keyboards like crazy. Paid $100~. Most cheapy keyboards lasted me about 2-3 million words, and I'm getting close to the lifecycle end of 10million with my das, but I've had no hiccups.
There's also Filco, and Ducky. And those go sky high in price.
Warning, most mechanical keyboards make one hell of a sound. Its addicting, and I love it, but you might not want to type around people.

Other than mechanical, don't spend too much on membrane keyboard, other than scissor switch (similar to laptop keyboards). Membranes don't get better as the price rises.

Some scissor switches last a while, but are mostly flat style keys. Like the Logitech K750.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Oooh Will, you had to bring up mechanical switch keyboards!

I've been very tempted to try a mechanical switch keyboards but I know the noise would drive everyone else in the house mad.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score

I've been very tempted to try a mechanical switch keyboards but I know the noise would drive everyone else in the house mad.

The typing feel is not much of a change, I'd call it less mushy and more accurate. I love the sound. I have MC Cherry Blues, and they are the loudest and noisiest you can get, and its like a song when I'm typing. I adore that almost all the keys have different sounds.

If you do have some extra $$$ laying around and want one, but don't want the sound, go for a MX Cherry Brown switch and do the O-ring mod, which will make it almost silent.
Some companies don't directly tell you what switches they are using. das calls their Brown switch version "Silent". Filco does this "tactile action" for Browns.
But, with the mod, the pleasure kinda decreases.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
Mice? Ah... G400? (What Emaree rec). It's loved well. Just don't put it up to your ear.

I have a Logitech MX Performance (got it from a friend). One of the shittiest things I've ever used. Have to charge it every other day. Wireless bugs out randomly. The chrome is wearing away.
I personally like the Logitech MX-500 which I bought several years ago. Comparable models are MX-518 and G-500

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007Z1M50/?tag=absowrit-20

I do own a Performance MX, and I have to say that unlike Will's my battery does last a long time. However, what is currently driving me crazy is that the scroll wheel does not scroll by 1 or 2 lines. Instead it has a software smooth scrolling limited to only 3 or 6 lines. With smooth scrolling it has a delayed effect where the screen sort of follows behind by about .3 - .5 seconds and it is really annoying. I removed the smooth by unclicking it from the software but it still does not feel right. I set it to 6 lines per scroll, but it scrolls too far. The software limitation makes it so freaking annoying. It is pretty ergonomic though. I have the MX-500 plugged in at the same time which I sometimes switch to when I get tired of it and back and forth.

I prefer the MX-500 for gaming, although there are other brands with mice that have extra buttons for commands. See this search on amazon for mmo game mice: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=logitech+mmo

For keyboards... if you have disposable income, you could pick up a mechanical keyboard.
IBM Model M (Buckling Springs) is just about the best one you can get. Around $50 on ebay.
Cool tip, I will try this.

For typing I have a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, and while it is ergonomic typing on it feels pretty dull. It is not very noisy however unlike stock keyboards. My favorite keyboard is my thinkpad's so I'm excited about Will's keyboard.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak to keyboards (I've always been satisfied with the ones that come in the box from Apple), but I highly recommend Microsoft's wireless optical mice. They do everything I need from a mouse, fit my hand very well, & have never given me any technical troubles at all. And the newer models have a very handy "off" switch that extends battery life.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I have a nice gaming mouse (there's a newer model available apparently.)

The newer version of the MX518 is the G400 I linked to. I got an upgrade on my MX518 for free from Logitech after mine had some issues.

They're both very nice mice -- not a huge difference between them other than the G400 has a nicer design and feel in the hand. It also goes up to 3600dpi rather than the MX's 1800dpi if you're a high-dpi gamer (I'm really not, medium DPI all the way).

I always lean towards wired peripherals. My logic behind this is that wired has better accuracy, but that's just a cover for my laziness. I prefer to plug in a cable and go rather than spending my time replacing keyboard batteries, turning it off when I leave the PC etc.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The newer version of the MX518 is the G400 I linked to. I got an upgrade on my MX518 for free from Logitech after mine had some issues.

Ah! yes it's nice. Don't think I need more dpi either.

I always lean towards wired peripherals. My logic behind this is that wired has better accuracy, but that's just a cover for my laziness. I prefer to plug in a cable and go rather than spending my time replacing keyboard batteries, turning it off when I leave the PC etc.

Me too, exactly. Have had wireless peripherals before and not really enjoyed all the faffing.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

The original IBM Model M is available on Ebay for $30 to $50 (plus maybe $15-$20 shipping). They last at least ten times longer than the cheap lightweight plastic girly keyboards made in the last 20 years.

I like the Logitech Mouseman Wheel. One came new with a computer I bought in 1999 and the cable got a loose connection in 2005. With that I bought several used ones at thrift stores. I just looked, they're cheap on ebay.

I also use the Logitech Trackman Marble with the trackball on the side for easy thumb use. I use this with my netbook (and an IBM Model M Space Saver, which I love and was lucky to find under $100):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGITECH-TR...-00-/221180954959?pt=Mice&hash=item337f69894f

If you want a NEW clicky keyboard, Unicomp purchased all the rights to the old IBM keyboards and has been making them for 15 years:
http://www.pckeyboard.com/
Unicomp sells them with USB output, too. My keyboards and mice use the old PS/2 connector, but the little cable to convert them both to a single USB plug is under $10.
The typing feel is not much of a change, I'd call it less mushy and more accurate. I love the sound. I have MC Cherry Blues, and they are the loudest and noisiest you can get, and its like a song when I'm typing. I adore that almost all the keys have different sounds.
I have an IBM AT keyboard (called the "Model F" with 10 F keys on the side like the original IBM PC, but with sensible key layout and a big return key like on the Selectric), and it is the loudest keyboard I've ever heard, much louder than the later Model M.

I've had my Space Saver at many Nanowrimo write-ins without any complaints of it disturbing anyone. But it's kinda interesting, the people around you can hear, and they KNOW whether you're writing or not. #novelmotivation
There are keyboards OTHER than mechanical?
Yeah, but they suck.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
I starting playing with my MX Performance settings and found that with smooth scrolling and putting the scroll wheel in Hyper-fast scrolling it runs really smooth. It's almost like a touch screen, because there is no feel.

From zero to line 10,000 in 7 seconds

When you need to do some long-distance scrolling, hyper-fast scrolling unleashes the speed demon inside. What’s going on under the hood? The ratchet-scrolling mechanism you’re used to retracts so the wheel can spin with virtually no friction.

Seven seconds. That’s how long some of our scroll wheels spin freely—speeding you through hundreds of pages or thousands of rows.

And, oh yeah, it’s got precision handling too. With normal click-to-click scrolling, you can navigate your lists, slides, and images with the line-by-line control you need.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
If you want a NEW clicky keyboard, Unicomp purchased all the rights to the old IBM keyboards and has been making them for 15 years:
Unicomp sells them with USB output, too. My keyboards and mice use the old PS/2 connector, but the little cable to convert them both to a single USB plug is under $10.
Looks pretty sweet. As far as loud keyboards I was using a typewriter last week, now that was loud. My Microsoft 4000 keyboard is nice, but when I hit the keys it has a very subdued flat feel and sound.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score

The only problem with them is the quality control. And, they aren't built as durable as the original.

I've had my Space Saver at many Nanowrimo write-ins without any complaints of it disturbing anyone. But it's kinda interesting, the people around you can hear, and they KNOW whether you're writing or not. #novelmotivation

:drool

I want one of the space savers, but they are damn expensive.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The only problem with them is the quality control. And, they aren't built as durable as the original.
That's a shame. I've often heard it mentioned as THE Source for new clicky keyboards.

At least I have a small collection of true-blue IBM Model M keyboards, perhaps enough to last a lifetime even WITH exponential (human) life extension.
:drool

I want one of the space savers, but they are damn expensive.
So you've been watching them go sky-high on ebay ... I got mine three years ago (first week of November 2009) for $80, and it was a deal back then.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If you're doing a lot of writing (you are, aren't you?), I would suggest an ergonomic keyboard, if you can find one. They take a little getting used to, but boy do they make a difference in the long run...

I'm on my second Microsoft ergonomic keyboard (That's the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v. 1.0, according to the label.) I only replaced the first one because I'd worn the letters off the keys... and the little bump on the J that lets me line up my fingers for touch-typing.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Me too, exactly. Have had wireless peripherals before and not really enjoyed all the faffing.

How do you control your TV from across the room then?

It'd be a pain to get up and go over the computer every time.

Do you use Airplay?

I starting playing with my MX Performance settings and found that with smooth scrolling and putting the scroll wheel in Hyper-fast scrolling it runs really smooth. It's almost like a touch screen, because there is no feel.

Magic Trackpad.

I do have a cheap wired mouse for gaming, though. Lots of games seem to expect mice to have more than one button for some reason...

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
Magic Trackpad.

I do have a cheap wired mouse for gaming, though. Lots of games seem to expect mice to have more than one button for some reason...
I think Apple's touch implementation is the best, when you own a MAC you feel like there is almost no need for a mouse. But if you do video editing you do realize a mouse is faster. However, unlike PCs when you forget your mouse you're not shit out of luck.

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Thanks for the comments everyone.

For the mouse - I'm leaning towards either this, or this. The latter at least in part because it looks awesome. :tongue Although I did have a play with one in the shop last night, and it seems good.

I can't decide if a clackity keyboard would drive me mad or not. I like the look of this one, but it's chuffing expensive. I've found it cheaper than Amazon, but still.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
How do you control your TV from across the room then?

It'd be a pain to get up and go over the computer every time.

Do you use Airplay?.

I have PS3 Video server running and route everything through the console, so yep, I'm using a wireless PS3 controller. Alternatively, I put stuff on USB, plug that into the TV, and then control it using my TV remote.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I have PS3 Video server running and route everything through the console, so yep, I'm using a wireless PS3 controller. Alternatively, I put stuff on USB, plug that into the TV, and then control it using my TV remote.

How's that working? Does it require any hackery? And does it play 10-bit H.264 in mkv containers with .ass subtitles?

The problem always is I don't think any set-top box anywhere is capable of hardware decoding fansubbers' releases.

Back home, I just have a MBP hooked up to the TV 24/7 and use a keyboard+trackpad to control it.

Since I'm away for a few months, I picked up an Apple TV and just Airplay mirror my monitor from my rMPB. Hulu's selection has been decent, too.

What I really hate, though, it my externals back home are all USB2. Streaming is fine, but copying new episodes is a pain.

Copying movies takes for freakin' ever.

I'd like to have a nice UI like Plex or XMBC, but I always end up finding them confusing and more trouble than they're worth.

I'm going to have to re-evaluate my AV situation when I get back. Part of the problem is I have absolutely no use for my external monitors anymore, so they're sitting unused. And then there's the issue of how to wire my audio...

My life is fighting with cables.

Last edited:

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
How's that working? Does it require any hackery? And does it play 10-bit H.264 in mkv containers with .ass subtitles?

No, very easy to set up. You just set PS3 Media Server running on your PC and then it'll show up as a media server in the XMB. It supports mkv and is supposed to support subtitles, though it seems that might be a bit finicky to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.