• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Congrats, Sonarbabe!

I didn't get an auto reply, so I emailed, blaming the Time Warner/Adelphia conversion mess (and yes, it is a mess of classic proportions). I got a reply to that email the next morning saying they'd received my submission. Now beginneth the 8-week wait. :popcorn:

KAugusto

Newbie chimes in...

Hello all.
I am new to this group. I was referred by someone on the Backspace forum after I posed a question about Samhain. Reading all your comments inspired me to join this group too.

First, congratulations Sonarbabe! I was also just offered a contract from Samhain (hence my questions on BS). I would love to have a buddy to chat with as we start this exciting ride. This is my first novel, so I'm over the moon. And you?

Second, I wanted to second the advice to recontact SP if you did not get an automatic reply. I was in that situation about 2 months ago. I diligently waited my 8 weeks, not wanting to be a pest. Then I contacted Anne and learned that they had an office move and my manuscript was lost in the shuffle (my words). I received a very apologetic email in return, a request for a partial, and within 72 hours, a request for a full. A few days later I had an offer. So I think they are very professional and timely in their communications. If you didn't receive some kind of notice, I would not hesitate to ask for clarification.

I am wondering if someone who has published with SP would be willing to share your experience with in-house PR. What did Samhain do to promote your work? Were you encouraged to hire outside PR at your expense?

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you on the AbsoluteWrite list. Oh, and my work is Women's Fiction, tentatively titled STRAWBERRY DREAMS.

Kerri

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hi Kerri

Samhain release a lot of books, PR for each one is not going to be huge. The send to some review places, online and print. More importantly they provided ARCs for print and the books are bookstore stockable (returnbale, discounted) unlike most POD trade paperbacks. Distribution is far more important than hype.

Given the sales numbers of their books and the value added by outside PR hiring a PR person would almost certainly be a financial loss.

chibeth

Registered
Reaction score
Samhain has recently hired a new Advertising Director, and I think, someone in marketing. So their authors may be getting more PR in the near future.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
OK, rejection for me, BUT with notes on revision and an invitation to resubmit.

Good notes, too, and something to think about if the other two publishers I have the manuscript work with also reject.

:cry: Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the other two submits.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Don't pass over that invitation to resubmit, they wouldn't say it if they didn't mean it. I almost took a similar notice (from another epub) as a rejection for my first novella, luckily the editor followed up and 2 years later it has sold well over 1000 copies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm taking it in stride. She had some good points. I am totally considering resubmitting. The notes were more on characteriztion and plot tightening. She loved the actual premise.

I think if I implemented her revisions the manuscript would be even stronger, so maybe I'll just do a bit of a dabble here and there. Save it as another draft, in case the other two reject too.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Christine,
I got the same type of rejection. She offered comments on how to improve the manuscript and asked me to resubmit if I rewrote. So as soon as I'm finished with the revisions on my paranormal, I'm going to do just that.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Good for everyone. Keep on chugging along :)

Samhain also rejected my story but asked for more. So I will send another I'm editing right now.

Cheers, Judith:Sun:

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Christine,

My honey, here is a cookie!!!! :e2cookie: Think about the notes they gave you. If nothing else, keep the original copy of your manuscript and work on some revisions. I did that with my stories and (consequently) found that I liked the revisions better. You never know, right?

Josie said:
Samhain also rejected my story but asked for more. So I will send another I'm editing right now.

{{HUGS}} Keep at it. If they didn't like your voice, they wouldn't ask for what else you had.

Last edited:

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Christine, Toni and Josie. I'm sitting on pins and needles, waiting.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
sow as in blow, or sow as in cow? (I spent long enough saying Loose Id wrong and am still unsure about Torquere--if I ever start a press it will be called Bob--just to keep things simple)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Since I never received the auto-response their website submissions page mentions, I did send another e-mail asking if they got my query and chapters. I'd hate to sit around for a couple of months before realizing they never got it.

ETA: I got an e-mail back stating their auto response has not been working properly since they switched servers...they are working on the problem.

Last edited:

JAK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnakarr.com
Anne Cain does good cover work--

Total agreement. Anne really upped the creep factor of mine

dark_resurrection_samhain_cover.jpg

And my editor really had some great insights on how to tighten it up. Together we chopped about 10,000 words from the original. Really a professional job

Braydie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I happened to be online looking up Samhain Publishing, and one of the links led to AW. When I clicked on it, I was surprised to see people I recognized from having browsed around in AW for a few days.

After reading your success stories, I wanted to tell you all I'm excited that things are going so well for you. Congratulations and best of luck with your sales. And, even for those who received rejections, it doesn't sound like the rejections are meant to be forever, but more like, if you want to resubmit, that Samhain is willing to reconsider and work with you. Wow!

This has to be an exciting and happy time for you all, and I couldn't be more pleased for you. Wow! :snoopy: I'm going to go look at their site, now, and maybe I can see some of the covers you've mentioned.

Congratulations! :hooray:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I resubmitted my revised manuscript yesterday. After considering it and spending days and days with it, I discovered that she was very right with her notes and the whole first half of the book needed to be revamped.

So, here's to trying again!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I resubmitted my revised manuscript yesterday. After considering it and spending days and days with it, I discovered that she was very right with her notes and the whole first half of the book needed to be revamped.

Fingers crossed for you!

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score

Good Luck, Christine! I hope you get some good news.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is *not* meant to denigrate Samhain or any other small press; it's just a question: Is a sale to Samhain or a similar small e-press a credential taken seriously by agents and large mainstream publishers?