"previously published"

Wandererer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm submitting a group of poems to a journal, and they say "no previously published material, not even web published".

Well that is pretty clear to me. I was planning to submit a poem that had been published under pseudonym and under a different title in a small town newspaper. The total population within 50 miles of that town is less than 2000 people.

But it was published, so I have to assume I should not submit it and I don't intend to unless I can be convinced otherwise. Just curious if anyone has other interpretations. Its one of my better poems, so it would be nice to include it but I also do not want trouble.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that unless the journal has a caveat, i.e. unless previous publication reached a market of less than 2000 readers or some such wording, then that poem has indeed been published and should not be included in the group.

The fact that the title and author name won't match isn't a factor. The poem itself was published.

Maryn, getting the spirit of the law here

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't complicated. If they say no previously pubished material, then send no previously pubished material. They don't care what name something is published under, only that the material was published.

It's about being honest and ethical.

WormHeart

Dual class author / nightguard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fromthefrozennorth.com
You could always write them and ask. :)

I wanted to submit a story of mine to LORE magazine, but they did not want any previously published stories.

Thing was - it had been published before and even won an award - in Danish.

So I wrote and asked about their stance on translations from obscure languages and lo and behold they wanted to see it.

And eventually accepted it.

It never hurts to write a polite mail and ask. :)

WormHeart

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A nit-picker might argue that the story had not previously been published, because the Danish story and the English story were not identical. There's that whole language thing...

But yes, as long as you're polite and respectful, asking never hurts--and can end up in a sale. (Good for you!)

Maryn, in her own frozen wasteland