Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I need some info on typical medieval lifestyle, and some info about gypsies (time period, etc). Does anyone know where I can get this?

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
DamaNegra said:
I need some info on typical medieval lifestyle, and some info about gypsies (time period, etc). Does anyone know where I can get this?

"Typical medieval lifestyle" depends on what country and what century the person lived in, and on what class they were. Can you narrow down?

There's a series of books called "A History of Everyday Life," or something like that, of which one volume is the Middle Ages. I would also recommend the excellent "A World Lit Only By Fire."

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I'm certain Medievalist will be here with a more complete set of information, as one of the others here with a degree in Medieval history, I find the books written by Joseph and Frances Gies really useful. ("Life in a Medieval Castle", "Life in a Medieval Village", etc.)

I have a ton of other reference books on Medieval times, but as was noted, it depends on what specifically you're looking for. . . arms and armor? Knighthood? The Hundred Year's War? Italian Merchants? The Byzantine Empire? Seafaring? Agriculture?

WRT the question about the Gypsies, I've enjoyed reading "The Gypsies" by Angus Fraser. The Gypsies span a time period from somewhere after the fall of the Roman Empire to today.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
OK, I need to narrow myself down. I'm looking for info on life on the XIV Century France (1300). Also, I would like to know about the practices of the Inquisition (or similar organism) during that time period, as well as the currency. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'd also like to know about the gypsy lifestyle during that time. Heh.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
DamaNegra said:
OK, I need to narrow myself down. I'm looking for info on life on the XIV Century France (1300).

The Gies are your people, then. Medieval France their specialty!

What part of France, by the way? South or north is the key distinction... it was quite different (life significantly better for women, etc.)

The Inquisition had been underway 91 years in 1300. It started in 1209 in response to the Cathar "heresy," which was centered in Southern France.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Try searching through the Science Fiction/Fantasy forum. Several threads there ask for medieval references, so you might find some websites which could help you.

I second the recommendation for the Gies books. They're easy to read and have good overviews. Barnes & Noble has released a combined illustrated version of three of them in a hardcover format (I saw it on the bargain shelf).

Deleted member 42

You'll find the Gies books at most public libraries; remember, the library is your friend.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I've tried libraries. The only two I know are school libraries-they're a joke. No libraries in my area, I only know of two other libraries and they're a joke too. Once, I had to do a proyect and go to the library to get info. The most recent book I found was dated 1982. Most of its information was useless.

Maybe in USA libraries are your friends. In Mexico, they're jokes.

I did find this site:
http://historymedren.about.com/
It containts some great facts, and good bibliographies too.

I'm sorry, but where I live, books are old and unreliable. I need internet sources, because I don't have the money to order fresh books.

Sad, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.