downton abbey latest series (spoilers if you haven't seen)

EmseePlum

oi! oi! oi!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
so i am a huge anglophile, going to live in england one day et cet. so i never wait for something to air in the states and i also seek out shows that never even air here (yanks are really missing out on "Switch")

anyway, next week da airs here and i've already watched it and it'd be nice to talk and bitch about it with peoples:) my friends here all feel like waiting til pbs airs it - meh i say!

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
So sad for Edith. I wanted her to be all like "I'm going to America with my rich Grammy!"

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
I have already seen through the end of Season 3 including the Christmas special. I am happy to dish with others who are watching the show currently or who had the chance to see it from England.

Edith being jilted at the altar was the first (and only) time I have felt sympathy for her. She has typical middle-child syndrome. She feels unloved, left out, and invisible. She compensates by making stupid decisions. And she just keeps doing it.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I dunno, I felt like that about Edith at first, but I felt like she really grew up over the second season. She's been trying to make her own opportunities for happiness, which is tough for a girl of her background in that day and age.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Not sure I'll watch the third series. The first was great. With the second, I saw a nuanced, intelligent drama turn into soap opera and melodrama. (I think they made the mistake of listening to the goddamn fans.)

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I dunno, I felt like that about Edith at first, but I felt like she really grew up over the second season. She's been trying to make her own opportunities for happiness, which is tough for a girl of her background in that day and age.

Keep watching :)

Not sure I'll watch the third series. The first was great. With the second, I saw a nuanced, intelligent drama turn into soap opera and melodrama. (I think they made the mistake of listening to the goddamn fans.)

The third season was definitely a low for me also. It has some good parts, but overall, I think the show is floundering. I started watching season 1 again last night to show it to a friend and it was brilliant. I liked both seasons 1 and 2 and think they are a real television masterpiece. Season 3 lost it's way. It's been renewed for season 4, though. Hopefully it can find it's way again.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
That is her role as a character... now that Mary is no longer the scandalous one she has to do scandalous things...

Erm, how many of you have seen the christmas special? I don't want to blow anything if very few have...

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it all, including the Christmas Special. I think it's been a great season, better than the second. I loved their other grandmother, the way the two grandmothers fought and all their witty remarks to each other...so great! I love the wit of this show with Mary and her grandmother are my fav characters. Not to mention the great lines of the the butler and cook.

(spoilers, stop reading if you don't want to know.)

After the first major death, I just didn't care about this second one. The first death of the season was heart-wrenching and it was really great and really helped the story. I thought this second death was rushed in with no foreshadowing and honestly, I liked the character but if he's not there the story will be just as good. He was never that interesting.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I saw it all, including the Christmas Special. I think it's been a great season, better than the second. I loved their other grandmother, the way the two grandmothers fought and all their witty remarks to each other...so great! I love the wit of this show with Mary and her grandmother are my fav characters. Not to mention the great lines of the the butler and cook.

(spoilers, stop reading if you don't want to know.)

After the first major death, I just didn't care about this second one. The first death of the season was heart-wrenching and it was really great and really helped the story. I thought this second death was rushed in with no foreshadowing and honestly, I liked the character but if he's not there the story will be just as good. He was never that interesting.

Since I'm replying to this post, this also has SPOILERS:

I didn't really feel the death either, not like I felt the one before that. I don't know if it's because the whole special was so light-hearted and then this came out of nowhere in the last couple of minutes, though.
I did like his character a lot, particularly at the start when he had some conflicts to deal with, but he had settled into blandness... they'd have had to manufacture reasons for conflict now that he'd found his one true love and convinced her father of his opinion and so forth. I feel like they've been manoeuvring Tom to take his place as the outsider on the inside though.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
No foreshadowing is not quite right... I was waiting for *something* to happen the whole episode... it was being just too nice and happy for my liking.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but I was looking for the thorns... I knew there had to be one somewhere and was therefore not surprised when I found it....

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Really? That's why I enjoyed it. Ones like that are great for escapism and are rare in the series.

Me too. I fell in love with the show because it reminded me of lazy Sunday afternoons watching Anne of Green Gables. Last year's Christmas episode was great. It had drama but romance and a happy ending. This year's Christmas episode RUINED Christmas!

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm new to DA this year. I guess it's season 2. Does anyone else have the feeling that the lady's maid, Sarah O'Brien, was Mrs. Tweedy in Chicken Run? Looks like her, sounds like her...

(I don't mean the actress, I mean Sarah! :D)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to DA this year. I guess it's season 2. Does anyone else have the feeling that the lady's maid, Sarah O'Brien, was Mrs. Tweedy in Chicken Run? Looks like her, sounds like her...
I'm just waiting around for Mrs. O'Brien to get hers ;)

We just had Season 3's finale in the US on Sunday. The ending was so abrupt, almost like they hoped they could shock you with it and take it back in Season 4. I know that's not going to happen as Stevens has left the show, but it just felt so contrived unlike Lady Sybil.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
I've never watched 'Downton Abbey', but one of the actresses in it (Joanne Froggatt, don't know her character name), dated a friend of mine years ago, I met her a few times, she is incredibly lovely in real life.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I've never watched 'Downton Abbey', but one of the actresses in it (Joanne Froggatt, don't know her character name), dated a friend of mine years ago, I met her a few times, she is incredibly lovely in real life.

Anna. I would imagine she is. Her character is my favorite, by far.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's funny because I first saw "Anna" back in her Coronation Street days where she played a truly obnoxious and troubled teen. She wasn't pure evil (as you could understand what had made her so troubled) but she really got on my nerves. So it's always been strange for me to see her since in nice and sweet roles :) . Though she is very good at them.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Anna and Bates are my absolute favorite couple. :D

I knew about the ending of this season's finale because TV Guide wrote a blurb a few weeks back about (spoiler alert just in case - highlight to read) Dan Matthews having left the show for good. I knew he was going to die, and I spent the entire finale just waiting for it to happen.

Aside from that, I just found DA this year and I love it. I can't wait to see how next season turns out.

Ot

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
Anna and Bates are my absolute favorite couple. :D

I knew about the ending of this season's finale because TV Guide wrote a blurb a few weeks back about (spoiler alert just in case - highlight to read)

Yeah, with your spoiler there. I also knew it was coming, but I was in denial. So sad!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from that, I just found DA this year and I love it. I can't wait to see how next season turns out.
The Husband and I are re-watching, starting from the Season 1. He's only seen a handful of episodes and it's a good stay-home date night on Sundays for us. I was delighted to remember how fantastic Season 1 is. I think Season 3 has devolved a bit and is less like solid period drama and has more predictable quippy lines and actions. I hope it can find its way back to those great episodes from early on, not to say I don't like forward movement. It's just not quite as good right now, but still pretty great compared to most TV.