• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Question about choosing titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
How far should one go to choose a never-before-used title for their work?

I'm just asking because the perfect title for my story had already been used by at least 20 other books, but it was perfect so I used it. Now a "bestselling author" is insulting me on FB over it.

Of course I know better than to engage (thanks to all I learned on AW + my own common sense), and will probably never read anything on their list ever again, but should I have searched farther? This author's book is loosely in my genre, but when I read the blurb I really didn't think it was any more like mine than the two dozen others out there.

I don't expect everyone to like my writing, but I really never expected to be personally attacked like this.

TIA for any perspective &/or clarity. :)

Jon M

I against I
Registered
Reaction score
If the title's been used by at least twenty other books, it may be worthwhile to spend some time coming up with a more original one. "Fits perfectly" is beside the point. If that many other authors have latched onto it, said title sounds rather generic.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jon, thanks for your comment.

When I started subbing the story, the last one to use the same title was about 5-6 years old. I had no idea 2-3 more would be released this holiday season (or that someone would go postal about one far older than 5 years). :)

Guess I should keep that in mind in the future.

Tigerlilly79

Maybe I should see someone . . .
Registered
Reaction score
If I do a title search and the title comes up, I choose another. That's just me.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Jon M. If your title has been used for so many other books, then it may be wise to change it, regardless of whether or not you're entitled to use it. A title that's so common it fits 20 other stories can't be as meaningful to your specific story as you seem to think.

lolabelle

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the other posters.

I'm not sure what genre you're writing in, as perhaps it might matter more or less depending, but I don't ever want to have a title that someone else has used.

I don't know, but something about working really hard on a one-of-a-kind novel makes me want to create just as a unique title.

P.S. Pretty lame for the "bestselling author" to be starting fights about it though, especially since the title seems to have been used by many.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to find another title, unless the books that share it aren't that well-known. Like another poster said, the title might be a little generic if so many other authors have used it. People do choose books to read based in part on the title.

smellycat6464

Registered
Reaction score
This is my opinion; I can be totally wrong, but if you already had a title picked out for this book and have gotten this far, why change it? You do what makes you happy. You wrote this treasure for your happiness, not this best seller....

This whole debacle seems just childish, to me.

Best seller is quite foolish because 19 people before him/her had this title picked previously! The difference between 20 and 19 is 1, or in this case, absolute silliness. Why is 20 the threshold, the point of no return? If it was original enough to not cause such vitriol in the 20th instance, then why is the 21st instance so horrific? Is he/she afraid of the number 21? Is this numerical boundary so absolute that it requires bullying you for daring to breach this seemingly unholy number.

I don't know if picking that title is a writing sin, but if it is, best seller is just as guilty as you are, and should be casting no stones.

I don't even think it's that big of a deal...I think "City of Bones" has been used on several well-selling books, previously. I heard of no tears from Cassandra Clare's predecessors.

If anything, keep the name, because if this best seller continues to act so childish, it might get your title circulating a bit. Heck, I want to buy your book now just to spite this guy.

Scuse the rant, but when people act this way, it boils my blood.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your input!

The story was released on the 17th so I don't have the option to change it, but I probably wouldn't anyway. I was more asking for the future, to see what everyone else does. I could've been very wrong -- it wouldn't be the first time. :)

Maybe this person was just having a bad day. I was yesterday even before the whole mess started, because no matter how many times I've been published, some rejections still hurt. But I won't be bullied by someone just because they have more publishing credits than I do. If someone else wants to go crazy on the internet & insult another person's art, it really has nothing to do with me even if it's my art. I'm lucky in that a couple of writer-friends and one person I'd never even met before stood up for me -- nicely, and sanely.

smellycat6464 -- thanks bunches! *hug* I think this person thought I was trying to ride coattails, but I've never read their book so that wasn't the case.

But I'll take the free publicity! *lol* No such thing as bad publicity, right? :)

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I would have looked for another title, not because I think you owe it to other authors but because it it more difficult to market your book. In this digital age, titles are one of the few opportunities authors have to communicate to potential readers (for example, in an Amazon search list). Even if someone specifically searches for your book by title, you've made it hard to find.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, annaspargoryan, I'll probably give that more consideration if I ever search a prospective title & find so many other books. Luckily, my current WIPs don't have that problem atm.

August Talok

Don't Eat the Grot!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tigcarson.com
For the future, I would def use an unused title. I been struggling with the same problem for a while now. I got a few bopping around my head that I love, but they all have been used. It kills me because I love the title of one in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.