Hello! I come here looking for a beating... um, I mean critique :D

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I've registered as Calliea, though that's a pretty random nickname. I usually go by Echo, but it was too short :)

I suck at introductions, I used to write that I have 2 cats as an ice breaker, but now I don't, so I'm doomed to be bad, sorry!

Oh wait. That kinda worked too.

So let's see, I came here because I was looking around the internet for clues about writing a book query, I wrote one, but I never stop to doubt myself so I hoped I could find some people here who would be kind enough to take a look and tell me where did I go wrong/where did I go right.

Lurking around I've discovered that I need to have 50 posts to post that question of mine, so I'm gonna go and see if I can maybe help someone else to put forth some good karma and energy :)

Well, yep. I don't know what else to say, so I'm gonna post a baby seal instead:

tumblr_md1b56eP2j1rpsj9lo1_500.gif

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

And you shortened my job of telling you that you need 50 post to post in the SYW section. But, but, but, you should read the stickies in Query Letter Hell and revise your query, while you work up your posts.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Write_Askew

Registered
Reaction score
Calliea, Welcome!

I think you did just fine. The addition of the baby seal was perfect. I spent a few seconds lost in the "aww".

You're right- you do need those fifty posts to get some review action going. In the mean time, check out all the forums. Get to know people. Get to know the site. There's something for every mood here. I'm personally very fond of the office party, because it always gets me a laugh.

When you're ready, hit up the SYW forums and read the stuff in there. Also, take some time to read all the stickys and FAQs. They are an invaluable resource to a budding writer. They truly are. There are also great threads out there for every genre and even places to find writing buddies and betas.

Good luck and have fun!
WA

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both for the warm welcoming :) I've browsed through the various FAQs both here and on other sites and blogs, but there's one thing no tutorial will teach you: does this bloody thing seem interesting to a stranger? :D

What I know is how to build a query, how to personalize it, etc etc etc, but it's all for naught if the thing is simply boring or starts with a wrong hook ;)

And yes, when in doubt post baby animals. Can't go wrong with that :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Calliea!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
As far as abbreviations go, the one that I fail to decipher is MB. It appears, from what I've seen, mostly beside YA which stands for, I guess, Young Adult [what a beautiful sentence I made here... not :D]. I don't see it on the list, so could someone enlighten me about that one? ^^

I've looked around the SYW forums looking for something that I could help with, but I find myself not even close to confident enough to want to criticize other people. I ended up reading the critiques and nodding with a wise impression, but I don't feel I have knowledge required to post a valuable input there :<

Once I'm more confident in my judgement skills I will gladly help others, but for now, I feel like a babe in the woods, so it would be arrogant of me to tell others which path should they take.

But I find that there are many other topics around where people ask for opinions and alike, and those discussions I gladly join :)

It's been a while since I've talked on any forum, but I used to do that a looot in the past. It brings some memories :)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. :welcome: to the Water Cooler!

Darkh0rse

Registered
Reaction score
As far as abbreviations go, the one that I fail to decipher is MB. It appears, from what I've seen, mostly beside YA which stands for, I guess, Young Adult [what a beautiful sentence I made here... not :D]. I don't see it on the list, so could someone enlighten me about that one? ^^

I've looked around the SYW forums looking for something that I could help with, but I find myself not even close to confident enough to want to criticize other people. I ended up reading the critiques and nodding with a wise impression, but I don't feel I have knowledge required to post a valuable input there :<

Once I'm more confident in my judgement skills I will gladly help others, but for now, I feel like a babe in the woods, so it would be arrogant of me to tell others which path should they take.

Hi Calliea, and welcome from another newbie.

I have no idea what MB stands for. Matte Black? Messy Business? Mass Biotech? I'm sure someone will come along and help.

In regards to posting in the SYW, I think you just have to consider this:

If you put your work in SYW, wouldn't you like to hear not only from those who can provide you with a line by line critique of all the technical stuff, but from just an everyday reader who might like or dislike your work and is willing to provide you with the information as to why they feel a particular way about it?

I'm not an author or editor, but I -am- a reader, extensively, of various genre. So, I try to help people understand what about their work hits me, makes me want to read it, or things I might get confused about.

Just because you aren't a well-known published author, doesn't mean your opinion my not be invaluable to someone. So, just take the plunge :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. The baby seal was nice.

Griffin Hayes

One evil little baby step at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Calliea. Welcome!

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Griffin, the cover of Hive is terrorific : O [you guys need a decent scared emoticon here, my : O turned into a red blush :D]